Talk

Advanced search

Christmassy days out in the South East

(17 Posts)
KitKat1985 Mon 23-Nov-15 11:15:51

Hello all. Am off work next week and would like to try and have one special family day out, and take DH and DD (who will be nearly 15 months) to do something Christmassy (mainly because I love Christmas)! grin I have limited funds (definitely under £50) but we won't get many other chances as I normally work weekends, and I'm working quite a bit Christmas and New Year weeks (I'm a nurse). So does anyone have any great ideas for a child DD's age. Realistically it needs to be within a 2 hour commute from our home in East Sussex. At the moment I'm thinking maybe Drusillas Christmas event? I did also contemplate getting a train into London and going into Hyde park winter wonderland but I worry that it will have limited appeal to a child as young as DD, and it'll be quite expensive to get trains etc. Any other ideas?

herecomesthsun Mon 23-Nov-15 12:23:41

winchester is lovely with a xmas market that will be open, you could watch the ice rink with some hot chocolate maybe, parking is a bugger but prob better in november, the cathedral cafe is good and has changing facilities

xmas market

Alternatively

marwellzoo

Jenijena Mon 23-Nov-15 12:25:20

Winchester's park and ride is very good, if that tempts you as a destination.

KitKat1985 Mon 23-Nov-15 12:37:27

Oh okay great thanks, I'll have a look. xx

herecomesthsun Mon 23-Nov-15 13:13:51

just thinking, this might be 29th Nov- 5th Dec

In the New forest there is

carols here at 5pm on 5th Dec, £4 adults, free to small kids, we might go!

also there are christmas lights being switched on in the New Forest villages that week, but this is even more of an an early evening thing?

KitKat1985 Mon 23-Nov-15 19:03:04

Thank you herecomes. I'm also considering taking a train into London and just letting DD loose in Hamleys. grin

herecomesthsun Mon 23-Nov-15 19:07:35

ah yes train, train, Watercress Line from Alresford/ Alton,

Bluebell railway

HortonWho Mon 23-Nov-15 19:08:25

I saw this advertised - never been - bit hipster meets the country but there was something about a gin bar and a bus so you could drink and they drive www.firleandcountry.co.uk/middle-farm-vintage-christmas-fair/

leaningtoweroflego Mon 23-Nov-15 19:57:21

I've always fancied the Miniature Steam Railway Santa train in Eastbourne, but it's really near Xmas IIRC and we're usually away.

As that's local maybe you could go to that as well as a big day out?

We visit friends and family in London (my hometown) fairly often, but we usually stay over. I have done there and back with the DC in a day for various things we've been invited to, but I wouldn't do it by choice if I had a say - way too stressful,.too much time travelling.

Unless you're planning on staying over in London, or really want to go for you'd own reasons, I'd pick somewhere nearer, and less crazily busy!

Watching this thread with interest for ideas smile

leaningtoweroflego Mon 23-Nov-15 20:00:41

We went to winter wonderland last year. DS (6) enjoyed it but I found being there with toddler DD in a buggy stressful, plus it was really expensive. Not going to bother again.

leaningtoweroflego Mon 23-Nov-15 20:01:59

*the winter wonderland in Victoria Park, but I imagine the one in town is similar, if not busier and more expensive!

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Mon 23-Nov-15 20:13:50

this year we are doing the santa experience at spring barn farm which looks pretty amazing! its just outside of lewes so not too far (depending where u are of course!)

friends have done the bluebell railway to meet santa which their children really enjoyed however i have never been and dont know whether it is in your budget!

LongHardStare Mon 23-Nov-15 20:36:46

Winter Wonderland would be noisy, busy expensive.

Druscillas or Winchester both great options.

NeverNic Mon 23-Nov-15 21:02:17

I'd recommend the Santa Specials on the Spa Railway going from Eridge train station. Was a really lovely couple of hours. There's also the Ashdown llama Park that was recommended to me when I asked for christmassy suggestions. I haven't been, but considering it. I also love the My Tunbridge Wells Blog (on Facebook) for suggestions locally. Garden Centres and National Trust places (with your own picnic) might be the most christmassy ans best value for money.

NathalieM Tue 24-Nov-15 12:14:15

I would recommend the Christmas markets in both Chichester and Winchester, as both will have plenty for children to do. You could also head down to Brighton and walk through the lanes? They've just put up all the decorations and there's lots of Christmas activities happening over the next few weeks!

KitKat1985 Tue 24-Nov-15 22:12:10

Fab suggestions, thank you everyone. Will research a few in more detail tomorrow. x

MNWestminsterCityEd Fri 04-Dec-15 14:52:05

Try our MN Local site for Westminster & City, there's a Christmas guide with lots of ideas of festive things going on in central London: local.mumsnet.com/westminster-and-city

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now