Talk

Advanced search

IKEA toy kitchen

(18 Posts)
Rinceoir Sun 22-Nov-15 23:49:07

Thinking of getting this for my toddler, she'll be 20months at Christmas. Does anyone have it, and is it suitable for a child of her age?

TitsCrossed Sun 22-Nov-15 23:53:47

Yes, it's fab! Has adjustable height feet so will grow with her. V sturdy, had ours for 3 years now and used daily, still looks new. Miles better than the plastic shite ones you can get imo.

But whatever you do don't leave it til Xmas eve to put the bastard together.

Rinceoir Mon 23-Nov-15 01:42:21

Thanks TitsCrossed! I'll pick it up tomorrow! I'm actually going to Ireland for Xmas- going 21st and DH following me 2 days later so am thinking he can build it and have it ready when we get back. DD doesn't understand Xmas yet anyway so going to give her some Duplo/Jigsaws to open on the day.

Bellejournee Mon 23-Nov-15 08:26:35

We have it too - it's s great kitchen, have had it just over two years now from when our eldest was just over one. We actually purchased it to use as a bit of storage too for the food/kitchen toys that seemed to always just be left on the kitchen floor. It's been a great buy and I think we'll have a good few years out of it yet.

HeadDreamer Mon 23-Nov-15 08:35:56

I have one too and definitely it's good for a toddler. It's very sturdy and well made.

I got a wooden doll house from a neighbour with girls in secondary. I can see this kitchen lasting 10+ years too. You can't say the same about the plastic ones. Especially ones with batteries. I've already got some broken toys from DD1 that I have to throw out. Didn't even last long enough for 2 children!

ChristmasZombie Mon 23-Nov-15 09:01:13

My MIL got one for the grandchildren, and I think it's ace! DD's nursery have one, too.

Missanneshirley Mon 23-Nov-15 09:03:19

My dd1 who is now 8 got it for her 2nd birthday, it's still going strong with dd2 now, has taken some amount of wear and tear and still looks great!

trilbydoll Mon 23-Nov-15 09:07:19

It's great but the door magnets are really strong! DD can just about open them now after a year of struggling, she's a bit obsessed with closing doors so never got her head round leaving them open. I've spent a lot of time this year opening it for her!

HeadDreamer Mon 23-Nov-15 10:38:30

trilbydoll how old is your kitchen? I read on here that they are very hard to open for little ones. And I saw a friend's one which is slightly older and have the same problem. But mine is very easy to open. It's about 2 years old. I think they might have fixed it recently.

Relokayshon Mon 23-Nov-15 14:08:01

We've got it. It looks nicer (less tacky) than the others but it doesn't do very much and I know my DDs enjoy playing with the ones with twisty hob knobs and have more buttons/doors/lights etc.

So all in all I'm not sure i'd buy it again....

LadyR77 Mon 23-Nov-15 14:17:18

We got DS one for last Christmas and he loves it (he was about 20 months too). It's very sturdy (a good job as he uses it as a climbing frame at every opportunity!) and he loves making the hob light up so he can "cook" me something. Haven't had any issues with the doors being hard to open.

Amummyatlast Mon 23-Nov-15 14:51:56

DD loves hers (she also uses it as a climbing frame if we are not looking, so very sturdy). Less tacky than other kitchens, so doesn't look too out of place in our living room.

jeanmiguelfangio Mon 23-Nov-15 15:31:31

We have had one from that age- it is literally played with every day! Its easy to out together, and height adjustable too. The play food is really good too, its fabric so doesnt matter if it gets in mouths!! I can definitely recommend the pans too, they are metal and have lasted so well

StubbleTurnips Mon 23-Nov-15 15:36:11

We got it for DD the christmas she was 19m. It's been fab, played with everyday and still like new a year later.

Ours currently has 3 toy horses in the oven hmm

missmargot Mon 23-Nov-15 16:19:50

I love how you can customise them if you're feeling creative, if you google there are some fantastic examples that I am too rubbish to actually get around to doing

queenrollo Mon 23-Nov-15 17:19:35

another thumbs up here. Nearly 12 months on and still played with daily.

leaningtoweroflego Mon 23-Nov-15 19:40:47

Yes definitely! DD has had it passed on from DS. It's lasted really well and they both love it.

ijustwannadance Mon 23-Nov-15 19:44:19

Ours is 3 years old and still looks new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now