Talk

Advanced search

Do you buy a christmas pressie for yourself?

(29 Posts)
Squishyeyeballs Sun 22-Nov-15 22:36:27

I usually buy something for myself every year, something I want that I know that nobody else will get me. Tbh, I prefer giving gifts than receiving but I also like knowing that there's a little gift just for me under the tree grin Stumped for ideas this year though. There isn't anything I'm lusting after! I need some inspiration blush

WhenTheDragonsCame Sun 22-Nov-15 22:54:02

No but Father Christmas brings me something every year grin

This year he is bringing me a couple scentsy warmers with wax and a box of chocolates. I might do myself a little stocking with a couple of bits I would buy anyway like deodorant and socks.

annandale Sun 22-Nov-15 22:56:32

Not really except that I do the Christmas food shopping so - surprise! - we have all the foods i like grin

Most of the things I would like to get that I won't get are hugely expensive so am not going to shell out either - like built in storage for the bedroom, or a really nice pair of boots.

Whatsername24 Sun 22-Nov-15 22:56:55

I have to, DH never thinks to go Christmas shopping so if I don't buy something for myself then I wouldn't get anything.

Squishyeyeballs Sun 22-Nov-15 23:04:30

Not really except that I do the Christmas food shopping so - surprise! - we have all the foods i like

grin grin^

I'm lucky in the sense that dh always buys me a decent pressie so I don't even know why I feel the need to splurge on myself confused It was a lot easier to find hobby type stuff before I had the dcs but I don't have much time for doing that kind of stuff anymore.

MrsMolesworth Sun 22-Nov-15 23:10:05

Not from me to me (that would feel weird!) but DFiL always gives me money, so I go shopping before Christmas and if I see stuff that I want, it's from him.

WhenTheDragonsCame Sun 22-Nov-15 23:23:49

I'm a single parent and the DC love that I get a present from father Christmas, so I do it for them really wink

tassisssss Sun 22-Nov-15 23:29:28

I send dh a link or 2 so he gets just what i'd like, which works for both of us as he hates shopping and i'm a control freak who hates surprises.

This year I'll have to wait and see what's left on my list after my mum/sister see it...I'd like running clothes, a bike basket, the new Nigella, the new Kate Morton, slippers and a Ness overnight bag! I always like expensive chocolate, socks and nice shower gel and bubble bath.

Goodbetterbest Sun 22-Nov-15 23:39:46

Whenthedeagonacame - you've inspired me! My first year as a lone parent and I'm going to do myself a stocking from Santa :-) I used to buy my own present every Christmas anyway (save for a shitty candle and a book XH wanted to read).
I'm going to indulge myself - thanks Santa!

nowitscleanugobshite Sun 22-Nov-15 23:47:31

Since stbxh left a few years ago I have filled a stocking for me with candle/socks/smellies-just so that I had something to hang up with the kids stockings really. They aren't "kids" any more though! They are 18&21 and last Christmas that was brought home forcibly when, after all the gifts were opened, they went to the boot of the car and brought in a 42inch tv!! They each have part time jobs and had saved up to buy it for me as the tv I used was a "cube" -not a flat screen! And it was about 22inches! I cried. Howled! And as a bonus-I'd been considering glasses as I couldn't tell the time/read the programme details etc! It "cured" that issue too!!!

HolgerDanske Sun 22-Nov-15 23:52:05

Awwww nowits that's lovely fsmile

Redglitter Sun 22-Nov-15 23:58:42

I can't see the point of putting something under the tree for me. It's not exactly a surprise and if it's something I really want ill buy it before Christmas. Buying myself a Christmas present would just seem weird

fuzzpig Mon 23-Nov-15 00:04:01

I don't, DH and I get something for each other, but we buy a family game each year. We are board game obsessed and take it in turns to choose what to buy (and I try not to sulk when it's not my turn grin)

SymphonyofShadows Mon 23-Nov-15 07:32:24

Not a present as such because it doesn't go under the tree, but I buy myself the big Soap & Glory set on special offer that Boots do for half price every year. This year I've also got the M&S advent calendar too

notenoughbottle Mon 23-Nov-15 07:40:30

I will be doing this year. First Xmas as a second time round single parent so I'll be buying some bits that I wouldn't normally like perfume and a new outfit for the day etc

SconeForAStroll Mon 23-Nov-15 07:44:59

I do buy things for myself.

Like whatsername, my dh has a track record of being extremely shit at presents, and it got to the point where it was embarrassing that everyone else had a small pile of gifts and I had one. or the year I didn't have any at all

So yes, I have a bag that I put things in for me and then give it to the DC/dh to wrap.

It has to be said that now the DC are older they are starting to guilt dh into buying things for me.

ChristmasZombie Mon 23-Nov-15 09:06:22

Oh nowits, what lovely children!

My DH buys wonderful presents for everyone, so I don't buy myself a present. But I do sometimes treat myself to make up numbers if I'm buying in a 3-for-2 offer.

ChristmasZombie Mon 23-Nov-15 09:07:29

Oh, and I do buy myself something in the January sales!

CrumbledFeta Mon 23-Nov-15 11:30:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ElasticPants Mon 23-Nov-15 14:41:15

Dh and I don't buy each other presents, we prefer to go sales shopping instead.

I do buy us both something to open Christmas Eve. DC all get a sack with pjs, slippers and book and few more bits. This year we both have a onesie each. I've wanted one for a while. Last year it was new dressing gowns.

I do feel abit daft wrapping and labelling my own present though. It's a bit of a Mr Bean card sending moment.

BackforGood Mon 23-Nov-15 19:10:41

I rarely go shopping, so, if I see something I'd like when I'm doing Christmas shopping for other people, then I will get it for myself. Sometimes people have it off me to give me, and sometimes I just give it to myself grin

NathalieM Tue 24-Nov-15 12:38:49

Yes. I always treat myself at Christmas time alongside my family and friends. I wouldn't put it under the tree or treat it like a regular present, as my husband and parents will sort out that part, but I love picking up bits and pieces for myself as a sort of congratulations for making it through the year.

That and the Christmas sentiment gets the better of me. I honestly can't think of a reason not to, so I do! Usually clothes and edible, but anything that takes my fancy.

Last year I got way into Biscuiteers Christmas biscuits for myself; www.biscuiteers.com/shop/christmas-gifts-by-biscuiteers/christmas-biscuits

This year I intend to give them away as gifts to various people, so that's one way my selfishness has actually ended up helping my main Christmas shop!

Shemozzle Tue 24-Nov-15 15:07:33

I decided I'm going to this year so it's nice to see it's not a crazy idea. Last couple
of years I've been disappointed so I thought why not treat myself to a few things. I'm going to get myself some lush stuff for Christmas Eve, new pj's, socks, a new mug for Christmas morning etc. I won't wrap them though.

irregularegular Tue 24-Nov-15 15:51:40

No, that would be a bit odd I think. If i want to buy myself something it doesn't need to be Christmas. You can't give yourself a gift, it makes no sense.

Of course, i will buy nice food etc which I like (and so do other people). The nearest I get to it is maybe buying a big jigsaw or board game as a 'family' gift but it is probably me who is at least as keen as everyone else!

SheGotAllDaMoves Tue 24-Nov-15 15:53:39

Not a gift, no, but as I'm shopping for others I spot things I like and buy them.

Thus far a scented candle, a skirt and a sweater have falling into my shopping basket smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now