Using a roasting bag for a turkey?

(11 Posts)
quietbatperson Sun 22-Nov-15 21:59:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nbee84 Sun 22-Nov-15 22:09:57

Watching! I always cook my chicken in a roasting bag as the meat always seems to stay moist that way. I wonder if they do bags big enough for a turkey???

Mintyy Sun 22-Nov-15 22:11:22

Turkey is never moist despite brining, bagging, wrapping in foil, leaving to rest for an hour, roasting upside down.

It is a very dry meat. No getting away from it.

quietbatperson Mon 23-Nov-15 07:33:27

HarveySpectersBalls Mon 23-Nov-15 07:37:25

I like the leg meat on turkey - moist and flavoursome. I have no idea why people love turkey crowns...

I would definitely try the roasting bag. Only thing is you won't get a nice crispy skin

Lucymatilde Mon 23-Nov-15 07:39:33

Some are less dry than others ! I've never cooked one in a bag. We had turkey a couple of weeks ago as a dry run (though not in the dry meat way smile. For this I bought a bog standard frozen fella from Sainsburys and did a Delia on it. I stuck 2 lemons, 2 bulbs of garlic and a blog of rosemary from the garden into the cavity. It was the most moist turkey I've ever had.

nf1morethanjustlumpsandbumps Mon 23-Nov-15 07:47:58

We've used a bag for years. Our local butcher sells them or gives them free if you buy the dinner in a box option.

00100001 Mon 23-Nov-15 07:49:54

We have a large chicken instead of turkey.

Many reasons:
Turkey tastes a bit... odd
Turkeys are FECKING HUGE - even the "small" ones confused
Chicken is much nicer and smaller, so cooks more evenly so doesn't dry out.
Turkey is FECKING EXPENSIVE - for the price of a mass produced, barn reared turkey, we can get a sensible sized free-range high-welfare chicken.

however, I know we're in the minority grin

Tips for a moist turkey:

Buy smaller ones (two if you're feeding a crowd)
Roast it upside down for the first hour
Baste under the skin
let the legs 'hang out' (eg don't tie them to the body)
Don't over cook (meat thermometer)
Let it reast before carving.

you can defintely get roasting bags for Turkeys :)

macnab Mon 23-Nov-15 14:04:26

I put a LOT of butter ('proper' butter, not any low fat nonsense!) under the skin as well as over it. Its a bit of a faff you have to be careful to loosen the skin away from the flesh without it ripping but its easy enough to do. Then some more on top of the skin and regular basting should ensure a juicy turkey. As someone already mentioned, you might not get nice crispy skin if you used a bag.

quietbatperson Mon 23-Nov-15 18:42:28

00100001 Mon 23-Nov-15 19:01:53

you're welcome smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now