Talk

Advanced search

Coloured or white lights for the Christmas tree?

(54 Posts)
IsItIorAreTheOthersCrazy Sun 22-Nov-15 20:23:33

Please help!

I usually have White lights on my tree (I have just followed my mums lead since I moved out 10 years ago) but am thinking of changing them.

Last year we bought our first fake tree as we were away a lot and will be using it again this year. It's a 7ft green tree with some pine cones and berries on it. Our decorations are mainly gold, red and white with some random ones dotted throughout which I love as it feels more homely and less uniform. My nan had a random Christmas tree with coloured lights and mismatched homemade decorations and I loved it.

We don't have a huge budget and I don't want to waste money on lights that I then don't like but my imagination doesn't stretch to picturing my tree in any other way than with white lights.

Hardly a first world problem I know but some opinions would be great please! fsmile

LostAtTheFair Sun 22-Nov-15 20:25:21

White lights all the way smile

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sun 22-Nov-15 20:26:43

Coloured always, white just aren't very festive looking.

SurferJet Sun 22-Nov-15 20:27:07

Lots of tiny white lights. santa

ChippyMinton Sun 22-Nov-15 20:30:35

Coloured are warmer. I have a pre-lit tree with white LEDs but usually add a string of coloured bulbs too and stick a red bulb up the fairy's skirt so it glows

Whatsername24 Sun 22-Nov-15 20:31:28

We have two trees, a gold tinsel one in the main living room which I decorate with gold and brown decorations and use warm white lights on and in the other living room we have a fake green tree which has all of the decorations collected over the years and ones made at school etc and on that I use multi coloured lights.
The gold one doesn't sound very festive but it's lovely and sparkly.

timelytess Sun 22-Nov-15 20:31:36

White for me. But then, the tree is white, the tinsel is white, the decorations are white...

Hastagwhatever Sun 22-Nov-15 20:32:26

White.

Not keen on coloured lights.

CalmYoBadSelf Sun 22-Nov-15 20:33:08

I have had all white for many years now but am thinking of trialling a set of coloured ones on our smaller tree this year just to see if the white is a bit too stylish and tasteful

CremeEggThief Sun 22-Nov-15 20:33:42

Warm white.

DramaAlpaca Sun 22-Nov-15 20:33:54

I prefer white.

SteamPunkGoth Sun 22-Nov-15 20:33:56

My husband wants coloured lights. But he does no Christmas prep. So it's warm white lights.

Squishyeyeballs Sun 22-Nov-15 20:34:16

Soft white lights for us. I love the look of the 80s tack multicoloured slapped up trees but I wouldn't be brave enough to do one myself, I'd be sick of looking at the chaos of it after a few days. A few people I know do the posh tree in the living room and a second bright coloured one somewhere else in the house.

Decorhate Sun 22-Nov-15 20:34:38

Both. Then I just plug in whichever I feel like on a particular night.

Palomb Sun 22-Nov-15 20:34:45

Whites look better but coloured look nicer. We had white lights on the tree for the first time last year and I was so bored of it after a few days so coloured all the way here.. Proper lights too, none of those horrid led things.

ijustwannadance Sun 22-Nov-15 20:37:44

Warm white, not the bright blue tone white.
Although we have a small tree for DD with little pink and lilac twinkly star shaped lights which looks lovely.

Finallyonboard Sun 22-Nov-15 20:38:13

White.

Pinkvici22 Sun 22-Nov-15 20:39:48

Always warm white

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sun 22-Nov-15 20:39:51

It's multi-coloured chaos all the way here, I just couldn't have a tasteful colour themed tree with white lights, they look nice in shop windows but definitely not what I want in my living room.

Snoopadoop Sun 22-Nov-15 20:40:51

I want white but DS is having none of it. So it'll be coloured lights for us.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sun 22-Nov-15 20:40:57

No tinsel though, I draw the line at that.

Madbengalmum Sun 22-Nov-15 20:42:02

White in my opinion look very classy, not a coloured light fan

GingerIvy Sun 22-Nov-15 20:44:12

Coloured lights. The more colour on the tree the better.

ENtertainmentAppreciated Sun 22-Nov-15 20:46:03

Our tree is always real, always has white lights, but in reality they shine golden tones not just warm white and the decorations tend to be gold, red, silver, white and green, but they are four decades worth, so not all smart choices.

Really you need to have what you like and what makes you happy, that's all that matters.

Our tree is always ginormous, hugely fat, smells just divine, causes no end of hassle and takes over the whole house for at least three weeks, but it makes us all smile and gives us pleasure every day. That's its purpose and we don't need to consult anyone else. Just do what we do and have whatever you want to have smile

ChippyMinton Sun 22-Nov-15 20:53:29

I've just bought tinsel for the first time in many years. Next year you'll all be gushing about it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now