Talk

Advanced search

Maths games for nearly 8 year old

(16 Posts)
Beth2511 Sun 22-Nov-15 20:12:07

DSD is struggling with her maths and we wanted to try and find some age appropriate games to help with her adding and multiplying etc. She turns 8 on jan 25th so struggling to find anything suitable.

Any ideas?

nightshade1 Sun 22-Nov-15 20:57:31

have a look on brightminds.co.uk fab company with loads of educational games and toys.
We love the City of Zombies maths game

LaughingHyena Mon 23-Nov-15 09:56:11

Best thing DS has had was one of those huge calculators, about A4 size which he's spent ages with.

Also some maths dice, similar to these

We also have some dice with the operations rather than numbers. You can then adapt quite a few board games, roll 2 number dice and one operation die. The result of the calculation is the number of squares you can move.

GreenSand Mon 23-Nov-15 10:08:18

How far behind is she?
Mine love magic cauldron but it is probably a little simple?

this looks quite nice, but never used it

MrsHooolie Mon 23-Nov-15 10:10:16

DD also same age struggles with maths so I'll be looking at these suggestions.
We have bought the Carol Voderman maths books to help out a bit at home,they're quite fun but not games.

Tuiles Mon 23-Nov-15 10:15:41

My 6 year old got some Dude Dice which is really helping him. I think they have some other varieties - Dino Dice and maybe one with cupcakes?

We've also got some Math Link cubes which are brilliant for visualising and reinforcing all kinds of maths - plus they build some amazing structures with them.

I've heard great things about Numicon. They have it at school but you can buy home packs - it isn't cheap though.

BlueChampagne Mon 23-Nov-15 13:23:05

Rummikub?
Cribbage?

Professor Mathmo CDs are popular in our car too (5yo and 8yo)

vikjul Mon 23-Nov-15 13:58:07

Zeus on the Loose
Sleeping queens

Both very fun (while including math practice), highly recommended!

fuzzpig Mon 23-Nov-15 14:08:57

These have been on my wishlist for a while, there's a few different ones

www.amazon.co.uk/Monster-Maths-numeracy-card-game/dp/B00HB7Y7RM/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1448287669&sr=8-13&keywords=monster+math+cards

LimboNovember Mon 23-Nov-15 15:15:48

Qwirkle

www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Board-Games-MDS-32016W/dp/1933054395/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1448291679&sr=1-1&keywords=qwirkle+game

great game, I hate maths but love it, you dont play with maths but you need maths to tot up scores, one person can do this per game so he can have a rest etc..all family young and old had great time playing this last year and good for other brain skills,its award winner.

Whyamihere Mon 23-Nov-15 18:32:22

It depends what part of maths she is struggling with, dd has been playing Yahtzee since she was about 8, plus for adding/ subtracting she has a Velcro double sided dart board - really good fun and dd loves it, for tables we have Plyt. Dd loves all of these games and they all have helped improve her maths skills.

Bimblywibbler Tue 24-Nov-15 00:01:55

Monopoly is fab for numeracy and fine for 7 year olds, but the downside is you have to play Monopoly.

Teddybear4 Tue 24-Nov-15 12:13:51

What about Shut The Box?

SitsOnFence Tue 24-Nov-15 12:41:19

I came on to say Shut the Box! You can get free Shut the Box apps too, if you have a tablet/smart phone, which are great as they tell you when you have made a mistake.

Is it the mental arithmetic or the logic/problem solving side of maths that she is struggling with? Bingo is great fun and fantastic for subtly re-enforcing the concept of place value. Minecraft (ok, not a traditional game, but still) is good for helping conceptualise quantity. Rush Hour and Rush Hour Junior are good for encouraging logical, problem solving thinking.

Chillywhippet Tue 24-Nov-15 13:06:18

Rat a tat cat
Absolutely great little card game. The aim is to get your cards to add up to as little as possible by swapping with deck cards. You get special power cards to peek or swap with your opponent.
You can make it easier or more difficult by having more or less cards or having cards hidden or showing.
When you think you have a lower hand you have to say rat a tat cat so there's a bit of tension and poker facing.
Enough luck to make it fun for kids and great illustrations of well, cats and rats.

Spikeinhiscoat Tue 24-Nov-15 16:00:02

PLYT is good for times tables, you play with 12-sided dice and multiply them together. When we first got it, ds played with one 6-sided dice and one 12-sided, whilst dh and I had three 12-sided. DS likes it because you all play at your own level, and everyone has an equal chance of winning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now