Talk

Advanced search

I really don't want to get my five year old the presents she's asked for

(25 Posts)
Fuckitfay Sun 22-Nov-15 09:52:06

1. A drum set - we don't have room AT ALL nor are we deaf and my husband does night shifts

2. Heelies
I foresee many cuts bruises and tears if not worse. Have looked at reviews and they seem to be harder than skates. Her 8 yr old sister wants heelies so it seems very mean to refuse. I have to push a buggy or hold onto the toddler when we go out for walks so she would need to be good enough at the heelies not to hang onto me and I can just see it being a nightmare. She's got roller skates and is pretty wobbly on those

She's resisting attempts to steer her onto a remote control car which I think she'd love. Ahhhh

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 22-Nov-15 09:53:25

How about an electronic desktop drum kit? Volumne switch and smaller?

Only1scoop Sun 22-Nov-15 09:57:29

I have dd 5 and am certainly glad neither of those are on her list.

If you go ahead get industrial ear muffswink

Paperblank Sun 22-Nov-15 10:04:10

Could you get her the heelies for her birthday if she's likely to be a bit more confident with them by then?

WRT the drum set - do you know why she wants one? Maybe as simon suggests get her an electronic set, and a couple of lessons?

Tuiles Sun 22-Nov-15 10:05:42

You can get those thin roll up drum sets - PaperJamz maybe?

AtSea1979 Sun 22-Nov-15 10:09:26

I got DS some heelies, it's all he really wanted. I didn't want to get them but decided it was his choice, I advised him to think of something else but he was adamant he wanted them. He wore them once, fell over and they have been expensive dust gatherers since.

Tuiles Sun 22-Nov-15 10:10:22

Actually PaperJamz ate not roll up but they are thin.

But look at these.
Or you can get drumsticks that make drumming noises as you wave them in the air.

kelper Sun 22-Nov-15 10:11:52

Ds has heelies, fortunately he bought them from a friends brother as he's used them once in the house and that was it!
How about drumming lessons?

Fuckitfay Sun 22-Nov-15 10:15:31

I LOVE the idea of paper jamz or an electronic drum set - I can live with the noise if I can turn it down or off -
house is pretty noisy anyway with three DC but I am pretty sure DD will think it's a fob off. She just likes the idea of whacking with a stick I think
I have told her firmly that heelies are NOT for five year olds and don't come in her size but she's so disappointed and now fixated on the drums. Am taking them to toysrus to try out some remote control cars or find an alternative for the list !

Hulababy Sun 22-Nov-15 10:16:13

Electric drum kit with headphones.

Maybe take her to try some heelies on in a shop first.

BertrandRussell Sun 22-Nov-15 10:18:38

I am the least risk averse mumsnetter in history but i wouldn't give Heelies to anyone under about 11/12. I think they are incredibly dangerous. And the places where you can use them safely are very restricted.

Might she go for a skateboard?

Fuckitfay Sun 22-Nov-15 12:51:55

Oh gosh really Bertrand? I've virtually promised my 8 yr old. She goes to a youth group and says all the yr 5s have heelies. So now they are on all the yr 4s Xmas lists! They are allowed to skate with them in the church hall. She's really good on roller skates and very athletic with strong core muscles from gymnastics. Defo no no for the 5 yr old though.

Drum kit with headphones = genius!

Fuckitfay Sun 22-Nov-15 12:52:26

Oh and have a (barely touched) skateboard that she got for her birthday. Wondering about a polo stick

BertrandRussell Sun 22-Nov-15 13:03:36

Oh, if she's got somewhere safe to use them that's fine. Ignore me!

Has she got a scooter?

One of my ds's best presents when he was about 5 was a mini trampoline- the kind grown ups get for doing exercises on. A trampette? Oh, and a giant exercise ball. My brother is genius at presents!

NewLife4Me Sun 22-Nov-15 13:16:30

We didn't do heelies because all dds friends were being told they were unsuitable for wherever they were going. Parents said they hardly used them.
They could play out with them like skates, but that's it.
Our town centre and shopping arcades don't allow them.

I would never deny music in any form, headphones and silencers are available for drum kits.
I'd invest in the real thing though, even at this age.

PurpleHairAndPearls Sun 22-Nov-15 13:16:48

I have a deaf child that wants a drum kit...smile

I hate my neighbours and their bastarding barking dogs so I am actually considering it grin

LetGoOrBeDragged Sun 22-Nov-15 13:24:45

My 8 yr old has heelys. I held out for ages because I was worried about safety but actually they've been great. Obviously you have to take the time to teach them how to do it but once they have mastered it, they are not any more dangerous than running around. Certaibly better than roller skates. I got the ones with 2 wheels, which I think are more stable.

NutCrackerSlacker Sun 22-Nov-15 13:26:53

Heelys are great! You wouldn't stop her having a bike or scooter because of 'elf n safety' would you? Just get her a helmet and some knee pads if you're worried.

I understand the drum kit thing, though. Been holding off for ages on getting one for our DC, as our neighbours complain about the noise we make enough as it is grin

spaceyboo Sun 22-Nov-15 13:41:14

I got my 6 year old nephew heelies. As long as the kids are supervised it should be okay - as for falls, it's no worse than falling off a bike or skateboard.

MoriartyIsMyAngel Sun 22-Nov-15 13:58:18

My ex lives in a small terraced house with paper thin walls, and manages to lay down drum tracks for demos on a silent drum set without the neighbours noticing any noise.

Fuckitfay Sun 22-Nov-15 17:45:51

I think if she used the skates I'd be more inclined to get heelies.
We have a (huge) trampoline, she has a scooter, bike and skateboard.
We really don't have space for a full size drum kit but I will def get her a desktop electronic one so she doesn't think Santa is a total meanie smile

starlight2007 Sun 22-Nov-15 17:52:06

I bought some second hand heeleys for a couple of pounds..He never got to grips with them..Was glad he had them and gave up..

I find my son is very easy to manipulate ( encourage) into something that will work ...

CharleyDavidson Sun 22-Nov-15 18:32:47

My neice had heelies for her 12th birthday. She went off a kerb and broke her arm in the first week of owning them. smile They are harder to get used to using than normal skates I think, so less chance of that if they are younger and supervised. The toes up stance they require to skate is not good for the muscles in the backs of their calves though, for every reason you wouldn't put 5yo in high heels, the heelies do to the back of the leg.

I got 11yo heelies (the sports direct cheaper ones, with the double wheels) and she's used them only a handful of times. She took ages to get used to them and didn't go mad with them. Her friend on the other hand used to wear them all the times, inc weaving madly through to the shops etc. And even blagged wearing them to school on non uniform days, where they are not particularly safe to wear all day.

I second any electronic version that you can use headphones with, or have a volume control. We have a full sized electric piano and replacing the old upright was a great move for our sanity.

biscuitsfordinner Sun 22-Nov-15 18:51:15

My ds is five. He badly broke his arm roller skating about six weeks ago. I wouldn't go for Heelies!

TheoriginalLEM Sun 22-Nov-15 18:55:31

no to heelies. my dd is 10 and shes not allowed them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now