Talk

Advanced search

Token presents for in-laws

(9 Posts)
QforCucumber Sat 21-Nov-15 18:02:27

Help!
The adults in our families usually just get 'token' presents for each other, a little something to unwrap - usually no more than £10/£15.
I've bought all the women theirs, but there's are 2 bil's who we don't see very often and have no idea what to get for them!
Neither of them drink much really, thinking maybe a box of posh chocs -do mid 30's men appreciate posh chocolates for Xmas?
No idea where to even start for them.

Ningnang2000 Sun 22-Nov-15 10:37:29

Hi

We do this for my bil but I usually get input from my sisters.

This year one is getting a bottle of sloe gin and the other is getting a bread making book and dough scraper (he's in to making bread) previous years i've got them L'oreal /Nivea men skincare sets or shaving sets (can't go wrong and you get them 3 for 2 in boots.)

carrie74 Sun 22-Nov-15 10:57:15

We do this with my parents. I don't know what I'll get yet, but previously have got books, magazine subscriptions. Maybe a novelty USB stick (I'm putting this in homemade crackers for DH, and each child is getting one in their stockings). Warm gloves or nice scarf? Collar stiffeners if they wear suits? Tie/belt organiser for wardrobe (scraping barrel).

Littlemousewithcloggson Sun 22-Nov-15 11:56:31

£10 Amazon voucher and £5 box of chocolates!

80sMum Sun 22-Nov-15 12:03:38

Could you not just agree between you all that you don't buy presents for adults?

I find the "token gift" thing a ridiculous waste of time and money. Surely an adult is not going to expect to be given a gift simply because it's Christmas?

Why would you all waste your money on items that the recipients neither want nor need? It doesn't make sense.

QforCucumber Sun 22-Nov-15 13:40:05

80s the adults don't expect, but because the little ones are in charge of a big pile of presents and do the giving out of them they would question why there aren't any for mum or uncle dave etc.
I like the novelty things, think I found a scarf and glove set for one of the men today so just one left to get for.

mysteryfairy Sun 22-Nov-15 13:44:32

Book - Private eye annual, new Ian Rankin, cook book, new Harper Lee, whatever is to their taste

A Christmas cake, nice savoury treats if they don't have a sweet tooth

WoahBodyforrrrm Sun 22-Nov-15 13:54:36

Ther are some nice small hampers on offer from BHS they regally do discounts ATM, so worth picking one up if you get a code!

WoahBodyforrrrm Sun 22-Nov-15 13:54:47

*there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now