Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best Christmas cake recipe?

(20 Posts)
BeaBoo Fri 20-Nov-15 14:24:20

I made a Christmas cake for the first time last year and it was lovely. It was massive though and too much for us, so I've ordered a 6 inch tin to bake in instead. I can't find the recipe I used last year so I'm looking for recipe recommendations!

Can anyone link me to any decent ones? I'm a bit behind but going to do it this weekend and hope for the best!! Also how do I calculate amounts to use for a smaller tin? This bit is really confusing me blush

recklessgran Fri 20-Nov-15 15:45:28

I use Mary Berry but have done Delia in the past.[You need to reduce the baking time as Delia's recipe is so old that it allowed for ovens not being as efficient as now.] In any event,a 6 inch round cake requires half of the ingredients that you would use for an 8 inch round.
You could use this calculator if you're worried;
www.cakebaker.co.uk/apps-for-bakers/baking-tin-size-conversion-calculator/

bilbodog Fri 20-Nov-15 16:00:17

Ive done delias creole cake for years - it has a lot of fruit which is soaked in alcohol for a week before cooking then doesn't need feeding with anything. As I can't always be bothered to buy all the different fruits and alcohol I add up how much is needed then make up that amount from the dried fruit and alcohol I already have. For the smaller cake just half everything.

BeaBoo Fri 20-Nov-15 16:56:38

Oh that's good, so I can literally just halve the recipe? I'm going to soak my fruit tonight and buy everything else I need tomorrow. Thank you.

recklessgran Fri 20-Nov-15 17:22:55

Yes that's right.If you can find an eight inch recipe just halve everything to get the right amount of mixture for the six inch tin.

CruCru Fri 20-Nov-15 17:38:46

Hi all

Sorry to hijack but when do you make your cake? DH says now but I think it's rather early.

Fleurchamp Fri 20-Nov-15 17:40:27

I am a Delia fan (the traditional one). I am making mine this weekend but I usually make it in September and then feed it with a huge amount of brandy

CruCru Fri 20-Nov-15 17:52:49

Hmm. Perhaps DH is right then. I'm making the AGA Bible one.

recklessgran Fri 20-Nov-15 18:24:40

I made two in September and feed them weekly with brandy.I honestly don't think it matters-you could make it the week before and it would still be nice.I just like to be organised early as I have a large family and they all come to us at Christmas.

BeaBoo Fri 20-Nov-15 18:58:42

Last year I think I made mine at the end of October so I'm super late this year. I think any time around now is ok though.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 21-Nov-15 14:15:22

I did my cake today (I know it's late but according to The Mail, Fiona Cairns does recommend Stir Up Sunday which is tomorrow)

My sultanas were in Amarretto for a week.
I did an 8oz butter recipe (not a load of fruit , but sultanas,cherries,lemon/orange rind and nuts) . It smells gorgeous (now cooked)

I do the Delia Almond Paste , much nicer than ready made.

CruCru Sat 21-Nov-15 19:00:53

By feeding it with brandy, what do you mean?

Mine is in the simmering oven now, hope it's done before I want to go to bed. I put it in at 3.20.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 21-Nov-15 20:33:41

Cru when it's completely cold, stab it all over (skewer or cocktail stick) then dribble brandy into the holes . You can use a teaspoon or a small jug, just a drop at a time so you don't end up with soggy bits.
You need a tablespoon or so.
I do base and top (Amarretto) then wrap in greaseproof and foil to store.

You can do it every week.

BeaBoo Sat 21-Nov-15 22:12:12

I officially have my fruit soaking! It's in spiced rum with lemon and orange juice/rind. How long should I leave it to soak for ideally?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 21-Nov-15 22:16:35

I did mine for a week until it soaked up all the liquid but if you're keen to get it done then 24 hours would do.

BTW, did I say how scrumptious my Christmas Cake smells, cooling down on the hob?
Slightly orangey and cakey, Ahhhhhh

SleepyForest Sat 21-Nov-15 22:19:46

I use a modified delia traditional cake. I baked it today, our whole house smells of cake and spice.

BeaBoo Sun 22-Nov-15 10:06:15

Target that sounds lovely. I love it when something smells all Christmassy!

My smaller cake tin is arriving tomorrow so fruit will have been soaking for two days which I think should be ok.

CruCru Sun 22-Nov-15 10:38:47

Ah wicked, thanks!

NarcyCow Sun 22-Nov-15 12:10:41

If you want you can simmer the soaking fruit for a bit, which will speed up the process. Nigella does it in one of her cakes.

I did a few 6 inch cakes this year, it's a good size when you don't have a houseful of dried fruit enthusiasts.

BeaBoo Sun 22-Nov-15 12:38:40

My tin just arrived. On a Sunday which is weird! It doesn't look that big compared to how much fruit I have soaking (500g mix) so no idea what I'll do with any left over?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now