Talk

Advanced search

What shall I get for 10 year old dd this year?

(12 Posts)
nancy75 Fri 20-Nov-15 10:41:49

I have just realized that Christmas is much sooner than I had given it credit for and I haven't bought anything.

DD is 10, up until now she has wanted the entire toy section of the Argos book - this year she can't think of anything she wants - HELP!

Looking for ideas for a main gift as there are always plenty of books that she like and little bits like that, not anything like an ipad as we already have them, What can I get?

lindsey077 Fri 20-Nov-15 12:08:28

I've really struggled with my 10 year old this year, it's the first year she hasn't wanted toys. I've gone for a sewing machine from John Lewis - own brand, £50 and comes in nice colours. Also a candy floss machine, I know this will probably get used once and left in the back of a cupboard but it is the only thing she actally asked for.
Other ideas; musical instrument, roller skates, experience days.

nancy75 Fri 20-Nov-15 12:12:37

Lindsey, sewing machine is a great idea BUT my mum has got her the very same one you suggested.

We already have 4 guitars, a piano, & drums - I can't cope with any more noise from her or her father grin

I am finding the transition between not wanting toys and the inevitable only wanting clothes (that will come in a couple of years) really hard

wigglesrock Fri 20-Nov-15 13:17:51

My 10.5 year old is getting :
A big Tsum Tsum
Clothes - Hollister hoody (bought when 50% off)
Zoella smellies
Some clothes for a sport she does
A bag - satchel type
"Good" earrings
Some stuff for her room - fancy cushions/pin board
Sharpie set
Lego Elves set
Some make up
General stationery - new pencil case etc from some trendy wendy vlogger

She also loves Pop Vinyl figures/toys from the Hunger Games

callmekitten Fri 20-Nov-15 19:42:26

How about a variety of things related to something she really likes or is interested in? This what I'm doing for my DD who has also lost interest in toys this year. She loves cats beyond reason so she is getting all kinds of stuff with cats...shoes with a cat face on the toe, cat piggy bank, book about cats, cat hoodie, diary with a cat on it, cat necklace....can't remember what else.

Oldraver Fri 20-Nov-15 20:13:42

Does anyone know if the candy floss machines are any good ? We saw one in John Lewis for £20 and it looked ..well not flimsy 20 quid but OH thought they may not work well he loves candy floss

lindsey077 Fri 20-Nov-15 20:43:08

The one I got was £25 from Amazon, I went with the one with the best reviews and people seemed happy with it. There was one reviewed on the Guardian the other day and he said it made perfect candy floss but was a bugger to clean!

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Fri 20-Nov-15 20:47:06

Iv got my dd a nice pair of eareobgs

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Fri 20-Nov-15 20:52:02

Haha earrings even, some converse, clothes, jammies, new phone, make up, headphones, cds, bath sets - lush, soap and glory, new hairdryer, books, nail varnishes sets and some tickets for little mix.

lavendersun Fri 20-Nov-15 20:54:14

DD 9.5 is having a wheeled large cabin sized bag for our city breaks, a lovely dress from French Connection, homemade dress from me, lots of books, the Schliech Castle and a few other Schliech Bayala things. Annuals, a rug for her room and a new bedside lamp, plus a few other random bits I can't remember what they are until I open the box - oh Decopatch magic owl to cover is one of them.

Hard at this age I think. No more lego allowed right now, she has far too much. GPs have bought the castle - I was really pleased when she loved it (saw it in a shop on our recent holiday) as I didn't have any toy ideas.

She loves Schliech - has played with it for at least three years and still wants more!

Artandco Fri 20-Nov-15 20:54:54

- Lego ( some sets are super complicated so 10 is an ideal age)
- outdoor stuff, I saw a really nice stone child's campfire and grill set the other day. She would be old enough to use with friends with some supervision to do evening sausages/ marshmallow gatherings
- puzzle. A large complicated one like a wasjig
- canvas/ easel/ paint stuff

nancy75 Fri 20-Nov-15 21:06:12

Lots of good ideas and some things i have never heard of so i will get googling!

She did mention lego elves a while ago but not mentioned it since

Clothes wise - well she has more than dp & I put together! I struggle to think of clothes as gifts, I am probably more interested in her clothes than she is

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now