Talk

Advanced search

Please help with 6 year old, who does not play with toys.

(20 Posts)
MsJamieFraser Thu 19-Nov-15 22:14:47

Ds is 6.5yrs, he already has, an xbox and telly/dvd (brother being donated down) a Samsung galaxy (again brothers) a bike, a flicker scooter, a electric scooter, a stunt scooter, a kettler go kart.

He has a laptop which was last years xmas present, very IT aware, and excels in the subject, he also has his brothers old ipod and 3DS.

He has quite a few playmobil toys, and also lego/kinect which tbh gets used far and between, he loves lights and speakers, and has a few of those, he also has a beatspill that his GP's brought him for his birthday in the summer.

massively into Raspberry PI, and his GP's are getting him more kits

he also had Disney infinity but did not like it, so we sold it on ebay and he brought his go kart with it (also ebay)

He does not want anything other than the minecraft story mode for the xbox...

I cannot just give him this, as his brother is getting a xbox one, there is a 4 year age gap.

Please no shaming, because I know they have alot, but with a very large family and a older brother to pass things down to him... it is very hard.

ARichVernacular Thu 19-Nov-15 22:18:38

Snap circuits? My son doesn't really play with toys either, he's much more into games, puzzles and problem solving.

digging4victory Thu 19-Nov-15 22:18:26

How about an electronics set like Snap Circuits or Hot Wires?

APlaceOnTheCouch Thu 19-Nov-15 22:19:57

Does he like imaginative play? You could buy him some dressing-up costumes with those books that turn into cars/rockets, etc. A skateboard? Roller skates?

daisydalrymple Thu 19-Nov-15 22:20:28

Light up globe, which also shows the constellations?
Spy kit stuff (bionic ear, binoculars, spy books (usborne do a couple), invisible pen etc.
If he's into anything like star wars / Harry potter, then a themed game, - Star Wars battleship, Star Wars or Harry potter monopoly (I know It's not techy, but the theme might help?)
I take it footy / rugby stuff is not for him?
Magazine subscription or entry pass to anywhere close by he enjoys?

daisydalrymple Thu 19-Nov-15 22:20:50

Also skalextrix?

MsJamieFraser Thu 19-Nov-15 22:31:37

snap circuit is AMAZING for him grin

his dad has loads of skalextrix of when he was younger, and they all love playing with those.

His brother loves constellations and his bedroom is full of astronomy.

His brother is the footballer (academy signed) ds2 is not into anything, well he likes big hero 6, but not the toys hmm I have ordered him a activity book tho.

MsJamieFraser Thu 19-Nov-15 22:36:21

He loves imaginary play... he loves playing teachers currently, so me and dh are constantly sitting with the nest of tables while he teaches us his new learnings... currently its the great fire of Gateshead... He is taking dh to Gateshead at the weekend to visit the museum, cotton factory and church... i'm working so get away with it

CoffeeChocolateWine Fri 20-Nov-15 00:02:59

My son is very nearly 7 and similarly doesn't play with toys that much apart from lego. We bought him Hot Wires for Christmas last year and it was a real hit...it is still played with regularly nearly a year later. Highly recommend. John Adams do some other science sets too...would that interest him? Or a magic set?

He's getting the globe that a pp mentioned for Christmas this year as well as some football stuff, lego and books. He really loves the See inside Usborne books with all the flaps and facts etc. There are some very good science and history ones.

Is there any music he likes? Or something for his room...maybe a funky lava lamp or poster?

ARichVernacular Fri 20-Nov-15 10:58:18

He sounds fantastic grin If he likes comics, you could get him a subscription to the Phoenix. My son has one and we all enjoy it!

ThornyBird Fri 20-Nov-15 11:02:03

Dc4 (6.5 too) loves playing cafes - we have an IKEA kitchen, an easel (for putting menus on) and a cheap metal garden table with 2 stools... Only issue is the space it takes up but the older DC use the table for home work if they want to watch to at the same time (and the cafe is shut wink)

ThornyBird Fri 20-Nov-15 11:02:56

Oh and dc2 gets The Phoenix while dc4 gets The Beano, both subscriptions smile

Clutterbugsmum Fri 20-Nov-15 11:09:56

My dd2 loves playing schools, so we got her a small desk and wipe board and pens. She spends hours 'playing' school.

teacherwith2kids Fri 20-Nov-15 11:10:21

Music? Drumkit or electronic equivalent, or keyboard? Can be linked into laptops etc, and lots of possibilities for sampling / mixing on the computer?

Family board-type games (Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan?) that have simple rules but can be played by lots of different ages?

teacherwith2kids Fri 20-Nov-15 11:14:36

(Lego games were good for my DCs at that sort of age - they liked the fact that they could not only 'play the normal rules' but could also make up their own. Also lots of 'dressing up props' - sword and shield; light sabres; helmets of all kinds; several cloaks - nothing too big, but a box of flexible 'bits' seemed to be the most versatile and popular)

teacherwith2kids Fri 20-Nov-15 11:17:18

Or you could buy him some sessions of karting at a local karting track, if he likes his go-kart?

teacherwith2kids Fri 20-Nov-15 11:19:51

Or skill sessions at a local skatepark?

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Fri 20-Nov-15 11:25:56

I don't know if there's abny thing like this in the uk or how much shipping would be, in fact I know relatively little about it just seen them on YouTube, I'm one of those people who likes watching unboxing videos.

But there seems to be a few children's imagitive play boxes in America, that way he'd get something to enjoy "being" every month.

Or there's one that I think is to do with coding.

It might be nice for him to get post of his own.

LeaLeander Fri 20-Nov-15 11:27:07

How about some books?

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Fri 20-Nov-15 11:41:50

This the coding subscription box I was thinking of I just looked up the video and found the website.
And they ship world wide.

bitsbox.com/?_ga=1.998839.705279302.1448019346 just something a little unique for him if his brothers getting a big present.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now