Talk

Advanced search

Please help me find this gift!

(7 Posts)
macnab Thu 19-Nov-15 10:16:52

I'm not very good at choosing gifts for people I'm close to, so choosing for someone I'm not close to is impossible!

My boss is the sort of man that seems to have everything (and has expensive taste) But he's been very kind to me and I would like to get him something for Christmas. Can anyone suggest something that would be nice/tasteful/unusual and not cost the earth?? My mind is just a blank when I try to think of what I could get him. My budget would be max £30

WastedEffort Thu 19-Nov-15 11:00:22

We have the same problem with FIL he's minted and has everything. Is he a drinker? maybe some of these www.drinkstuff.com/products/product.asp?ID=6065&gclid=Cj0KEQiAg7ayBRD8qqSGt-fj6uYBEiQAucjOwejtWWsTCbBW6OBjZyRXoj0lTaxBmc3b9ok51E4nNgIaAj_m8P8HAQ#.Vk2rQHbhDIV with a nice bottle of port?

Flomplet Thu 19-Nov-15 11:08:22

Definitely not unusual but my DH loves single malt whisky for that budget. For all the whisky-related gifty stuff you can buy, he's rather just have a nice bottle.

Normally I'd suggest cufflinks if he wears them. They seem to be massively in fashion in my office at the moment. However, I'd avoid for someone you work with - cringeworthy if he felt obliged to wear them.

traviata Thu 19-Nov-15 13:13:13

how does he spend his time outside work?
sports?
hiking?
fine wine?

TBH I think in a professional situation, it's still best to go for bland generic presents. I agree with port or whisky or similar.

I8toys Thu 19-Nov-15 13:18:19

My boss is a millionaire but always get something for him. I get him and his wife a hamper with regional produce in it. He is from Yorkshire and moved down South. He also loves stollen so stick some of that it in.

macnab Thu 19-Nov-15 13:20:07

Thanks. I don't know about whiskey but I know he likes red wine (but not what exact type) I was thinking maybe an aerator for wine? The hamper is also a good idea, but with only £30 to spend there might not be a lot in it!

NoSquirrels Thu 19-Nov-15 13:27:55

I think you need to keep it simple. Don't try to buy something gadget-y like a wine aerator if you don't know what he already has/doesn't need etc.

Go to an independent wine merchant, tell them you have £30 to spend on a couple of bottles of really nice red wine, and let them advise you.

Then write him a nice card to go with.

If he likes good wine he will appreciate it, even if it seems like "not enough" to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now