Talk

Advanced search

Gentle, unscary, unfrenetic films for a 4 year old.

(52 Posts)
INeedACheeseSlicer Wed 18-Nov-15 19:10:25

I want to get DD a couple of films on DVD for Christmas.

She's quite sensitive, doesn't like too much mayhem or anything too scary/surprising/emotional.

She likes Mary Poppins - I want something similar, a bit old-fashioned and not too fast paced, ideally with some songs. Feature length is fine.

I am thinking about maybe Bedknobs and Broomsticks, but wondered if anyone else had any suggestions?

ShesAStar Wed 18-Nov-15 19:25:53

My DD loves the Disney cartoon version of Cinderella - its quite gentle. The second Dispicable Me film might suit her.

Flomplet Wed 18-Nov-15 19:26:38

Not so good on the song front, but how about Madeline or Nanny McPhee?

The Gruffalo and Room on the Broom adaptations are nice and gentle too.

mrsdaz Wed 18-Nov-15 19:33:39

My boys loved Annie at that age

SitsOnFence Wed 18-Nov-15 19:43:12

Some of the Barbie films are surprisingly entertaining, with lots of singing and dancing. Not just 'for girls' either; DS loves A Perfect Christmas and Swan Lake.

Alternately, and I realise this is a 12, so probably not at all what you are after; DD loves Mamma Mia. Watch it yourself first though, as you may not think all the subject matter is appropriate!

This version of Heidi is very gentle. No singing though.

HuevosRancheros Wed 18-Nov-15 20:20:50

No music, apart from a very singable song at the credits, My Neighbour Totoro is wonderful, my kids love it.
Not scary, not violent, not crazy and hyped up, quite weird and wonderful, highly recommended smile

HuevosRancheros Wed 18-Nov-15 20:22:23

The Tinkerbell movies are surprisingly OK, but again, no music.

MTWTFSS Wed 18-Nov-15 20:23:18

CBeebies - The Ultimate Christmas Collection

strawberrie Wed 18-Nov-15 20:26:26

That Moomins one that was released this year, about them taking a trip on the French Riviera. We saw it in the cinema and I almost expired with boredom but it did strike me as a very gentle, non threatening intro to film (have a friend whose child is very anxious about movies with any degree of peril and I thought he would cope with this)

squiggleirl1 Wed 18-Nov-15 20:40:03

My DD loved Hans Christian Andersen with Danny Kaye in it at that age.

Wigeon Wed 18-Nov-15 20:40:43

You need anything by Studio Ghibli - absolutely beautiful animation (they are works of art), lovely slow pace, and not scary. Suggest Kiki's delivery service, My Neighbour Totoro or Ponyo.

brightandshiney Wed 18-Nov-15 20:48:24

Sound of Music, Matilda

INeedACheeseSlicer Wed 18-Nov-15 21:18:56

BIL is a fan of My Neighbour Totoro. I didn't realise it was for children blush. I will definitely ask BIL's advice and have a look at those, then.

We already have the Julia Donaldson short films (which she does love) and the Sound of Music - which is maybe a bit long for her still,- and original Disney Cinderella (which she finds a bit scary, actually - the cat chasing the mice and the sisters being nasty and ripping Cinderella's dress are hide-behind-the-cushions moments).

Annie is a good idea too, and I will check out all the other recommendations too, thank you!

PotteringAlong Wed 18-Nov-15 21:21:51

Polar express?

23jumpstreet Wed 18-Nov-15 21:23:05

Petes dragon.

Wigeon Wed 18-Nov-15 21:29:03

The Studio Ghibli films are definitely aimed at children, but they are beautiful, and lovely stories, so really engaging for adults too.

INeedACheeseSlicer Wed 18-Nov-15 21:33:20

[Wigeon] sounds perfect!

INeedACheeseSlicer Wed 18-Nov-15 21:33:41

Wigeon, even.

annandale Wed 18-Nov-15 21:35:23

Studio Ghibli is great, but I would stick to the ones mentioned for this purpose. Films like Swept Away are pure genius but much too scary.

AnotherStitchInTime Wed 18-Nov-15 21:45:40

Ponyo
Snow White
Babe
Charlotte's Web
Aristocats
Muppets
Tigger Movie

Don't let her watch Tinkerbell and the Neverbeast, my sensitive dd1 (6) cried her eyes out at the end.

myotherusernameisbetter Wed 18-Nov-15 21:52:47

Alvin and the Chipmunks or is that a bit busy? Plenty of singing smile

serin Wed 18-Nov-15 22:16:32

Babe

cheapandcheerful Wed 18-Nov-15 22:18:17

The Curious George Christmas film? Can't remember exactly what it's called but it's very gentle albeit very American (if that bothers you!)

Bolshybookworm Wed 18-Nov-15 22:30:55

Another vote for my neighbour totoro and Kikis Delivery Service. Totoro is such a sweet, sweet film, my kids love it. Lots of the other Studio Ghibli films are NOT children's films however (and anyone who thinks so has never watched grave of the fireflies sad), so make sure you vet them first.

bigbadbarry Wed 18-Nov-15 22:31:42

And anothe per vote for totoro and Kiki. And Ponyo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now