Talk

Advanced search

Help! Homemade book??

(14 Posts)
Misty9 Wed 18-Nov-15 13:20:16

So, I finally asked ds, 4, what he wants instead of buying random stuff and he said a book of Alex stories. I'll explain: I once (once!) Made up a story about a child called Alex who went on an adventure. And now he wants a whole bloody book of them! And I thought I'd lost him to materialism but it's a damn sight easier to buy something from amazon

Any ideas how I create a book easily? I'm crap at drawing and any other themes for stories are welcome too!

desperatelyseekingamovingdate Wed 18-Nov-15 13:23:52

Photobox -you can make a photo book using photos of him and you can put the stories of him around the pictures???

There are places you can buy story books with his name in but they are generic books - i have done frozen for my dd.

Sounds like hard work - good luck!

Misty9 Wed 18-Nov-15 13:28:08

I know! I'd normally love to do something like that, but just don't have time.

MadameJosephine Wed 18-Nov-15 13:32:30

How about one of these, my DD loves hers
www.lostmy.name

NoSquirrels Wed 18-Nov-15 13:38:18

www.prezzybox.com/personalised-books.aspx

Couple of ones from here, personalised with "Alex" 's name?

NoSquirrels Wed 18-Nov-15 13:39:27

Or this? Haven't explored it so not sure if it's rubbish or not...

www.abedtimestory.com

NoSquirrels Wed 18-Nov-15 13:43:43

But if you did want to do it properly (and I wouldn't have the time either!) I can recommend this website:

www.blurb.co.uk/childrens-books

But not cheap in terms of time or cost, eventually. It would be a lovely keepsake, though.

NoSquirrels Wed 18-Nov-15 13:43:49

But if you did want to do it properly (and I wouldn't have the time either!) I can recommend this website:

www.blurb.co.uk/childrens-books

But not cheap in terms of time or cost, eventually. It would be a lovely keepsake, though.

MantaRayBay Wed 18-Nov-15 14:08:11

What a lovely idea. My dad used to make up stories with recurrent characters and I treasure the memories of him telling me those stories. I keep trying to get him to write them down now but he never seems to want to.

Your DS is clearly sophisticated and will love the book forever I'm sure.

Btw why the name Alex? That's not his name?

Misty9 Wed 18-Nov-15 14:16:13

No, not his name - I'm on a bit of a mission to avoid gender stereotyping and that name could be a boy or girl. It made telling it a bit difficult though!

Thanks squirrels - I'm slightly hampered by having to use my iPad which won't support flash and nearly all these sites seems to use flash. I found storyjumper.com and mystorybook.com, the former of which looks amazing. But needs flash sad I'll check out the personalised option too, thanks. There loads of ebook creators but I think I'd rather it was a real physical book...

Misty9 Wed 18-Nov-15 14:27:18

Hmm, this looks like it might fill the criteria - and he'd love it to have his friends names in too and it's a lot less effort!

MantaRayBay Wed 18-Nov-15 14:29:06

Could you use the computer at your local library? They should have flash.

Misty9 Thu 19-Nov-15 20:13:55

Argh! He mentioned it again yesterday. Dh reckons I should just draw it myself but I'm crap at drawing! I'm thinking I'll have to resort to arranging toys and photographing them for a book/album with captions?

NoSquirrels Thu 19-Nov-15 23:06:02

I think, whilst it's a LOVELY idea, your DS will be happy enough with one or two generic off-the-shelf personalised stories from one of those websites. He's 4, so he won't know it's not written by you! Unwrapping it and having his wish fulfilled will be the powerful bit. Do it properly next year, maybe, when you've had a chance to organise it.

If my DH suggested I might like to "draw it myself" I would certainly be handing the task over to him in its entirety

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now