Talk

Advanced search

Red cabbage recipe for freezing

(19 Posts)
mrsdavegrohl Wed 18-Nov-15 10:47:50

I see a lot of you are planning to do red cabbage in advance. Does anyone fancy sharing their recipe please?
I bought the worlds largest red cabbage from Lidl today plus a ham hough for my soup so hoping to make a start on the freezer friendly stuff.

krisskross Wed 18-Nov-15 10:51:24

Watching with interest

howtorebuild Wed 18-Nov-15 10:54:44

Please marking.

PositivePete Wed 18-Nov-15 10:57:02

Look on good food website. They have a fab red cabbage freezable recipe

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 18-Nov-15 11:09:57

Caveat is that I've never frozen it but here's how I cook it after many years of vinegar/cider and hours of cooking

Chop red cabbage in half. Don't peel outer leaves off or take stalk out. Place flat side face down into roasting tray along side or underneath the roasting meat [any kind] ensuring that there is some oil underneath so it doesn't stick. You might need to put some water in occasionally but the idea is that it steams/roasts in the juices from the meat. Roast for about 45 mins.

Take out when you can insert a pointy knife easily. Peel off outside leaves and bin, cut out white stalk. Chop remaining cabbage into small pieces. Serve

Tastes wonderful. Less work than roasting an onion.

mrsdavegrohl Wed 18-Nov-15 11:31:06

That sounds nice and easy.
Forgot to say that I don't have a working oven.
I usually 'roast' my veg in the air fryer so I could try it in there. In batches cos its huge haha

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 18-Nov-15 11:37:58

Hmm . I'm not sure that will work. The outer leaves trap the heat and the steam so it cooks itself inside. An air fryer would keep it moving constantly.

senua Wed 18-Nov-15 11:42:18

This is the recipe I use, from John Tovey of Miller Howe.

Shred the cabbage, discard tough, stalky bits. Toss in 4 oz of melted better to thoroughly coat.
You will now put it in a big pot, in a layering process. First cabbage then apples&onions&orange rind (1 lb granny smiths, peeled cored and sliced; 8 oz onion finely chopped; 2 oranges).
Pour over the liquid which comprises liquidised:
2 clove garlic
quarter tsp each of nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, thyme, caraway seeds
half pint red wine
2 tbsp wine vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
juice of the oranges.

Bubble gently on the hob or in oven gas 5 for 20 min.

missmargot Wed 18-Nov-15 11:50:05

I tend to simmer mine in mulled wine then freeze, similar to this recipe:
www.abelandcole.co.uk/recipes/mulled-red-cabbage

eckythumpenallthat Wed 18-Nov-15 11:51:34

I use this recipe

ink{http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/must-try-red-cabbage-braised-with-apple-bacon-and-balsamic-vinegar\www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/must-try-red-cabbage-braised-with-apple-bacon-and-balsamic-vinega]]r}/]

I make loads and freeze and tbh it's nicer second time around smile

mrsdavegrohl Wed 18-Nov-15 12:28:18

I take the paddle out when roasting veg so it doesn't move around it just sits there baking, but faster than the oven.
I'm off to look at that Jamie recipe, unfortunately the other 2 are out as I allergic to red wine

howtorebuild Wed 18-Nov-15 12:35:31

I like the idea of the half cabbage roast. Do you have a tip for cutting it easily?

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 19-Nov-15 10:24:24

Sorry - posted a response yesterday but it doesn't seem to have stuck

It's been in the oven for anywhere up to an hour depending on it's size so it's molten. I use a carving knife and fork, and slice it length ways along the spine of the leaf and then thinly across. If you want tiny pieces you just have to keep going though I suppose you could put it in a kitchen blender/slicing gadget [have one, never use it]

Diddlydokey Thu 19-Nov-15 11:13:32

I have an avoca recipe which I'll upload tonight. I've done it with apples and orange too which are both good.

Pengweng Thu 19-Nov-15 13:02:49

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/party-food/accompaniment/traditional-braised-red-cabbage-with-apples.html

I use this one. Normally eat half and then freeze half. Goes great with turkey, ham, bratwurst etc. mmmmmm

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Thu 19-Nov-15 13:04:02

Has to be Delia's recipe - the one with apple.

LBOCS2 Thu 19-Nov-15 14:41:34

I use Delia's recipe too. Not sure how you'd do it without the oven, but I expect it would work well in a slow cooker.

Misty9 Thu 19-Nov-15 20:59:46

Delia here too smile

tassisssss Thu 19-Nov-15 21:01:29

Also delias but IMO it's a little sweet so I use less sugar.

Like to do the cranberry sauce at the same time so the red stuff is done [actually true and not admitted to many haha]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now