Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone else's dc changed their mind about what they want AFTER you've already bought it?

(19 Posts)
Tory79 Wed 18-Nov-15 07:18:11

Ds4 has been eying up sing a long elsa for weeks! Overnight he's gone decidedly meh about it.

I think I'll have to go back to the drawing board! Hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to sell on hmm

Artandco Wed 18-Nov-15 07:23:14

This is why it's madness to buy before December

However I also wouldn't by something such short lived. If he's already decided in a month or so he doesn't like Elsa for example. Buy something uncharactered, which should last 5+ years rather than a few weeks novelty. How about something construction wise? Knex, Lego, marble run, kapla blocks, magnetic building etc. all seem to last from around 3 years to teenagers here

bsmirched Wed 18-Nov-15 07:27:02

My husband has played Santa a few times. There are always some parents who look quite horrified when their little darlings tell him what they want, when it's obviously not what they've bought!

Tory79 Wed 18-Nov-15 07:34:19

art he still loves elsa, he's remained at a high obsession level since the film. It has barely waned at all. He just appears to have gone off this particular doll. I thought it was a safe bet!

RJnomore1 Wed 18-Nov-15 08:09:19

Dd2 has. Fortunately I had bought he thing she really wanted as I knew she wanted it but she hadn't quite worked it out herself. No I didn't steer her to it honest! She's been talking about it a lot it just took a while for the penny to drop with her re a Christmas request.

Sometimes you need to be psychic in this parenting malarkey.

jellyjiggles Wed 18-Nov-15 08:15:20

Nearly every year! Ds tells us one thing then randomly tells Santa something nobody has heard of.

This year he's decided on something he won't be getting. We have a few weeks to gently change his mind and he's going to love what we've got him so I'm not bothered.

Littlemousewithcloggson Wed 18-Nov-15 08:32:09

We let ours ask santa for 3 things and say that santa will bring at least 1. That way santa gets something right!

MummyPig24 Wed 18-Nov-15 09:25:26

Santa tends to only bring a sack full of little things. The dcs tend to get what they ask for from us or from family.

MummyPig24 Wed 18-Nov-15 09:29:26

Sorry that totally didn't answer your question. What I mean is, they generally get what they ask for but not from Santa and it means that it doesn't matter too much if they change their mind because family don't shop till later on.

atticusclaw2 Wed 18-Nov-15 09:35:12

Just NEVER get them to write their letters to Father Christmas on Christmas Eve. Otherwise you will be worrying about how you are going to find real elf slippers to fit a five year old at 3pm on Christmas Eve because that is "the one and only thing I want with all my heart".

cravingcake Wed 18-Nov-15 12:22:27

My DS (only just 3 at the time) asked Santa at the garden centre for a telescope in the week before Christmas after never ever asking or mentioning one ever before. I couldn't find one but thankfully he wasn't disappointed with what we had got him. We did have the Dummy Fairy visit a few months later and he asked if she would leave him a telescope so thankfully managed to get one online.

OSETmum Wed 18-Nov-15 15:53:31

No because I tell DS his letter to Santa has to be sent by the end of October grin. Tbh he's quite steerable in the direction we want anyway!

TwoTwoOneBravo Wed 18-Nov-15 15:56:11

I get mine to write to Santa in mid November. They both understand that once the letter has been posted to the North Pole they can't change their minds as Father Christmas and his elves will already be working on their presents!

shutupanddance Wed 18-Nov-15 15:57:57

Tbh most of mine was dine weeks ago.its tough titty if they change their minds now.

Flomplet Wed 18-Nov-15 16:48:59

Happened here last year. I told DD I'd already sent the list off and gave her the thing anyway. She was still thrilled on christmas day but didn't play with it much after that, unsurprisingly.

It was a toy castle. I thought it would be a decent basic that would get plenty of use, but DD was right that she was just not that into it.

CoffeeChocolateWine Wed 18-Nov-15 19:48:12

I'm quite good at planting ideas of what my DS (7) wants from Father Christmas in his mind...by the time he writes his letter, he is completely convinced that he wants exactly what I've told him he wants! Although he only gets stockings from FC so will be smaller items...all bigger items come from us or family. So last year I convinced that he really wanted some goalie gloves and this year it's a wallet!

However, my DD (3) is another story. She changes her mind A LOT but the one thing she's stuck on for weeks now is...wait for it...'dry day prickles'. WTAF?? Dry day prickles??? If anyone can shed some light on what this is I would love to hear!

EnoughAlreadyNow Wed 18-Nov-15 19:54:22

Are 'dry day pickles' - dried apricots??

CoffeeChocolateWine Wed 18-Nov-15 23:22:47

Oh. My. Goodness. That's exactly what she means! You're a genius EnoughAlready, thank you!

She never has dried apricots so I never even thought of it, but my son had told me previously these 'dry day prickles' had something to do with an episode of Danger Mouse. Anyway, after seeing your post and thinking you might be onto something, I started a bit of detective work (which has involved watching Danger Mouse on iplayer). I've just come across an episode in which some kind of mouse princess feeds her magic pony dried apricots to trump out rainbows!! How random, but that's got to be it hasn't it?!!

So dried apricots are going in her stocking...but I might have to change the label to 'Dry Day Prickles'!

atticusclaw2 Thu 19-Nov-15 07:53:54

You have to change your user name to Dry day prickles!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now