Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for teacher gifts please

(19 Posts)
justkeeponsmiling Tue 17-Nov-15 13:14:28

Inspired by a thread on here which has made me realise how little I appreciation I show to my kids' teachers I really would like to get them a little xmas gift this year. Not sure if I should just go for booze though as I'm not sure if they even drink? Also, tastes in booze vary so much IMO.
Are you getting anything for your child's teachers? Or, if you are a teacher, what would you like?

justkeeponsmiling Tue 17-Nov-15 13:15:58

I should add: I have a huge aversion to useless tat! Really really don't want to spend on anything that is likely to not be used/eaten/drunk.

carrie74 Tue 17-Nov-15 13:18:00

I've started doing a big box of biscuits, coffee, various teas and hot chocolate to live in the staff room as a thank you to all the staff rather than individual teacher gifts at Xmas. I figure they'll definitely get used, and ensures I get to thank admin and cover staff in one fell swoop. I then do individual gifts at the end of the year.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Tue 17-Nov-15 13:23:19

In the past at DS/DD's school I coordinated a collection and got vouchers. M&S I think. When people didn't want to contribute I bought vouchers myself. I thought if nothing else the teacher could buy a dine-in deal!

Having been a TA I've had loads of smellies that have to go to the charity shop as they make me itch and chocs that have been given away as they're fattening. And most home made biscuits etc go in the bin as you can't be sure of hygiene!

justkeeponsmiling Tue 17-Nov-15 13:24:03

Carrie, that's a great idea! Fab, I love it. Can't believe I didn't think of that one myself. Thank you!

Elfrescue Tue 17-Nov-15 13:42:26

I do the same as Carrie, something for the staff room. Last year was nice a couple of tubs of hot chocolate, lots of shortbread and marshmallows for each school. I have 4 DC and between them they have contact with so many teachers and support staff I can't buy presents for them all! So each school gets something for the staff room.

captainflash Tue 17-Nov-15 18:26:44

Teacher here! I'd love some bits for the staffroom. Our school provide bog standard Tetley's and Nescafé but having some nice hot chocolate would be lovely. I tend to find that things that are given to individually take ages to eat but things get devoured in the staffroom! We often get joint things for the staffroom and it is always used up!
On a personal note, I don't think you could ever go too wrong with alcohol! A bottle of prosecco would be easily used at Christmas. I do appreciate all the handmade cards, tree decorations (although my tree can only hold so many!) but also love a nice pen or notebook, anything from Lush or some M&S biscuits.
I have never thought anything less of a child who didn't get me anything though.

captainflash Tue 17-Nov-15 18:28:00

I agree with twowrongs though about homemade biscuits.....

glenthebattleostrich Tue 17-Nov-15 18:31:48

This year they are getting a molton brown bauble, hotel chocolat cracker and some prosecco in a fabric bag with drawings by the children (my dd and mindees ). I also get nice biscuits for everyone to share in the staff room which I drop off at the start of December.

The staff at dds school are ace.

Pipbin Tue 17-Nov-15 18:32:50

Teacher here. Just to say that no teacher expects any gifts.
I agree with no tat!
Chocolate, wine, a card all go down well.

Lovelydiscusfish Tue 17-Nov-15 20:02:35

I'm a teacher, and I have always wanted to be given one of those "Best Teacher Ever" mugs. I would carry it around and drink from it ostentatiously whenever Ofsted come in! grin

JamesBlonde1 Tue 17-Nov-15 20:05:46

I'm not a teacher but a personalised mug could go down well - can then be used at school or at home.

paperdreams94 Tue 17-Nov-15 21:06:08

I'm a teaching assistant.

I don't expect anything, but I love a nice card. Agree that treats for the staffroom is a wonderful idea and would definitely be appreciated!

MrsKCastle Tue 17-Nov-15 21:11:40

A card with a handwritten, sincere message- find something nice to say that is genuine.

PresidentUnderwood Tue 17-Nov-15 21:34:51

Dotcomgiftshop do some lovely things - I've ordered travel seeing tins with cath kidston style pattern for £4.95. They also do very nice pens, jotters and post its.

My friend bought from John Lewis (more money than me!) large thin fabric shopping bags that can be rolled up.

I get individual different Lush bath bombs wrapped in gift bags for DD's nursery as its 15 members of staff including cooks and they all work so hard.

PrudenceDear Tue 17-Nov-15 21:42:46

I get a big box of biscuits and treats for the staff room and then the teachers and TAs will each get a homemade cracker with a perfume atomiser and chocs in and a handwritten joke.

justkeeponsmiling Wed 18-Nov-15 05:17:24

Thanks for all the ideas!
In response to the teachers/ta's: it's nice to know that you wouldn't think anything less of the kids/parents not giving any gifts. But I really wanted to show my appreciation to all the staff. Tbh I read a thread on here a while ago where a teacher complained about not being thanked for going on a school trip away for a few nights and it really made me think of how often I take my kids' teachers for granted. It's such a small school and the staff work so hard. I just wanted to thank them and wish them a happy christmas!
I think I'll go for staff room goodies, although might look on dotcom giftshop. Plus a nice card.
lovely I hope you get your mug soon, I had to laugh at the thought of you waving it at the ofsted inspectors grin

LovelyFriend Wed 18-Nov-15 14:45:00

The DC love to give their teachers a gift, so I always give a glass tree ornament which I put on a ribbon with "Thank You from DCName" written on it.

I might also make some brownies or something for the staffroom.

BlueChampagne Wed 18-Nov-15 15:40:41

Alcohol can always be regifted!

How about a little set to grow a hyacinth indoors? Can be planted in garden for following year, and can be grown in class or at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now