Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

4 and 10 year old boys - please help!

(14 Posts)
abbaroony Tue 17-Nov-15 09:59:21

If anyone has any suggestions to help me out with the following I'd really appreciate it.

After seeing that another poster had done the same, I signed up to the MET Christmas appeal which matches you with a child in care that you buy a present for. The idea is to spend about £20 and the presents can't include batteries or food. I have been matched with a 4 year old boy and was hoping to get a few smaller things, rather than one big item. If you have any ideas, please let me know! I had already thought of a colouring book with pencils and a pencil case, a bouncy ball, a cuddly toy, some sort of fancy dress accessory eg superhero cape or fireman's hat etc. but was wondering if there's anything that's particularly 'in' for that age group at the moment?

I also need to buy something for a 10 year old boy - he's a family friend but I don't see him very often so I'm not sure what he already has/ doesn't have. He's into things that involve construction and small details - he's very methodical and likes problem solving. I also know that he likes minecraft, but wouldn't be confident to choose something he doesn't already have. He's really good at the piano and is also learning to play the guitar. He's quite sporty and plays cricket, hockey and football. I would just ask his mum what to get him but she always says 'oh don't be silly you don't need to get them anything' so doesn't give me any ideas but then we always exchange presents anyway!

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

abbaroony Tue 17-Nov-15 10:01:32

Sorry - should have said, budget for 10 year old is £20-£30

GreenSand Tue 17-Nov-15 10:09:14

My 4 year old adores his tub of plastic dinosaurs. Something like this he also likes jigsaws, but this is probably a bit personal.
Crayons and paper are good, as is the bouncy ball.
Paw patrol and octonaughts are pretty popular with that age group currently, if they are a TV family. Sticker activity books can be good, but need careful selection if he's going to need to do it on his own.

Don't have an account older one, so can't help there.

dayslikethis Tue 17-Nov-15 10:13:13

For 10 year old how about nano blocks? Similar to lego, but much smaller. They are becoming more popular and you can get some really good sets. My 10 year old is keen on them. Doe he go to Scouts or anything like that or is he particularly interested in outdoorsy/camping things? My DS is also getting a knot kit from the cotswold shop (it was only a fiver) to teach him how to do certain knots as he's really interested after joining scouts this year. He is also getting a thing to make a knotted emergency bracelet thing. I will try and look online for a link because I'm not sure I could explain it, but he got one at a birthday party last year and loves it so I have bought him a kit to make some more. I got it in the US though so will need to see if I can find it here.

dayslikethis Tue 17-Nov-15 10:14:46

Paracord, it's called a paracord! Sorry - brain not really switched on this morning yet. Google Paracord kit (if you think it might interest him and you'll find lots of options)

dayslikethis Tue 17-Nov-15 10:16:43

Disney Store have 24% off everything online today (the code is TOYTUESDAY) so that might be an idea for the wee one - Jake & the Neverland Pirates maybe?

strawberrypenguin Tue 17-Nov-15 10:17:02

As PP said my 4yo loves Paw Patrol and Octonauts. Dress up is a good idea - anything superhero based should go down well. He also likes his toy sword/shield set. A football could be good too. Cuddly toys are also much loved here

lambfam Tue 17-Nov-15 11:08:12

Best Years have 20% off their large knitted dinosaurs at the moment - you just put the code dinosaur into the voucher code box. Most boys love dinosaurs and there is a big dinosaur movie out this month.
Gap have 20% off at the moment or if you subscribe to their newsletter they give you 30% off - think its til Thursday. They have some lovely PJs that would make a great gift.
Or books are my fall back gift. Something like Ripleys Believe it or not or the Top 10 of Everything would be ideal for a 10 year old boy

abbaroony Tue 17-Nov-15 15:16:03

Brilliant - thank you for all the help so far - just what I was looking for.

I'd have never known about Paw Patrol, Octonauts or Jake and the Neverland Pirates otherwise!

dayslikethis great thinking with Scouts - I'm almost certain he goes and think you could be onto a winner with the paracord kit. Also think he'd love the books lambfam suggested.

Does anyone know if there's a more grown up version of something like Knex? I think the nanoblocks look great, but I think he'd like something that 'does' something after he's built it iykwim?

Misty9 Tue 17-Nov-15 22:02:03

My 4yo is just getting into the kids knex and we're going to try and get more from eBay for Xmas. Also, I've just bought superhero mashers for a 4yo birthday present (I don't know the child) and heard they're popular. Octonauts are HUGE in this household, but you need a few guys to play properly and they're not cheap. They do nice books though.

d270r0 Tue 17-Nov-15 22:08:22

Can I suggest a marble run for the 4 year old? This one is only £9 and is good quality (Galt) with great reviews so you can still include other stuff. They're great for young kids as you can build them in different ways. Might want to give some more marbles with it though.
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00000IVUJ?keywords=Galt marble&qid=1447798047&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

knaffedoff Tue 17-Nov-15 22:11:08

Marble run will be a winner as will a lego sticker book :-)

Misty9 Tue 17-Nov-15 22:24:27

Ooh yes, I've asked my brother to get the dc a marble run smile

BraveLittleWolf Tue 17-Nov-15 22:29:21

Home Bargains is great for dressing up outfits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now