Talk

Advanced search

how much do u spend on presents

(53 Posts)
Natalieday1 Tue 17-Nov-15 07:08:28

Hi guys
Just a quick question just curious to know how much u all spend on ur kids at Xmas time, I have 3 boys 11,9 and 3 and just wondered what was an average amount to be spending on their presents as I have been known to go well over the top grin

Jftbo74 Tue 17-Nov-15 07:11:06

About £50 per child. They also get £30 from an aunt, £30 from both grandparents. We can by bigger things by pooling cash

Natalieday1 Tue 17-Nov-15 07:12:36

Is this from u or "Santa" or both?

atticusclaw2 Tue 17-Nov-15 07:17:27

We spend about £150 per child and then they get gifts from extended family.

Its all going to depend on income though surely. We have a high joint income. If it was lower we would cut our cloth accordingly.

Natalieday1 Tue 17-Nov-15 07:23:39

Yeah obviously depends on income, we have a joint income too and save hard all year for Xmas, but I would say I spend nearer double that on each child shockwe but them their big present which is usually £150-£200 them by the time we get them little bits it soon adds up! Never really thought about it before until I thought about what other people spend! But suppose it's each to their own anyway eh? Everyone has their own opinions and ways..was just curious that's all x

firstdirect Tue 17-Nov-15 07:26:08

About £150 per child - 3 boys almost teens.

atticusclaw2 Tue 17-Nov-15 07:27:32

I think that's a lot. Ours might sometimes creep towards £200 per child (it probably has this year if I add everything up), but this year has been good for us financially.

Mine are 10 and 8 and are getting a very large lego set to share, a few books and CDs and other bits that I've picked up throughout the year and disney infinity to share. So actually yes our is closer to £200 each now I think about it.

WE don't do any other toys throughout the year either except for birthdays.

Natalieday1 Tue 17-Nov-15 07:29:34

Yeah I know it is a lot, but as I say everyone is different and I wouldn't judge anyone for spending any less or more than me! Was just wondering how other people did it! I am the same though also don't buy other toys etc except on birthdays so like to spoil them at Xmas

SnozBuriedUnderThePatio Tue 17-Nov-15 07:55:25

I spend under £100 on mine but I do it throughout the year when I see discounts and special offers so she gets too much in the end. I don't tend to buy many toys in between birthdays and christmas, only consumable things like craft bits.

waitingforsomething Tue 17-Nov-15 08:11:30

On Dd who is 3 I have spent 30 pounds on a main gift and I will probably spend 20 pounds or so on stocking fillers. DS is a baby so I'll not be spending much on him this year. I think that is plenty. I expect it'll become more as they move into pre-teens and start wanting electronic items ...

atticusclaw2 Tue 17-Nov-15 08:22:42

Don't worry, there's another thread ongoing where someone has spent £2k so you're far from the worst with your spending!

Natalieday1 Tue 17-Nov-15 08:24:40

£2k really?? On one child? Wow! Oh well that makes me feel loads better thanks grin

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Tue 17-Nov-15 08:29:35

It does vary a bit depending on their main present. Last year dc2's main gift was a tablet so that was obviously quite expensive. Usually the main gift is £50-80.

Then books and a stocking on top so that's probably another £30-40.

atticusclaw2 Tue 17-Nov-15 08:32:19

I didn't say £2k on one child (although it could have been for all I know)

Natalieday1 Tue 17-Nov-15 08:33:24

I no u didn't hence the question mark afterwards, I was asking if it was one child..haha

Northumberlandlass Tue 17-Nov-15 08:37:56

I have one child, LP - I'll spend about £150 on him. He'll get about £50 from my sister & his GP's.
He's 12 this year and is beginning to ask for more expensive items rather than toys. He wants a RWC Winner All Blacks shirt, that was £45 alone.

Natalieday1 Tue 17-Nov-15 08:39:40

Yeah my eldest is the same isn't interested in toys at all it's all gadgets, brand names etc doesn't come cheap for us parents though haha xx

mrsnec Tue 17-Nov-15 08:51:50

£100 on everyone in total so far. I may or may not spend more but I'm very happy with that!

nilbyname Tue 17-Nov-15 09:01:12

Around £200 each. Kids are 4,7. We jut get them what they ask for and so far that's been pretty cheap. No consoles so far- thank goodness.

DS, 7 has got quite a big main present but he has had an epic year and the item was half price.

Dd,4 hasn't really asked for anything so we have gone with things we think she'll like and tried to stay away from character stuff. 3 Disney frozen dolls have never been played with- so not going to repeat that!

We do a mix -
Something you've asked for
Something you need
Something you didn't know you even wanted!

GPs tend to get stuff that supports their extra curricular stuff, uncles tend to give them experiences, other extended family tend to give clothing. They are very lucky, grateful children.

We also do 12 random acts of kindness and have chosen 2 shoebox type appeals this year. We do hot soup delivery for the elderly on our street in December and we make cookies for 3 toddler groups. We try and get into the spirit of Christmas in gift giving as well as sharing good will and live.

Natalieday1 Tue 17-Nov-15 09:19:24

Ah that's a lovely tradition to start..teaches the kids from a young age that Xmas isn't all about presents too smile may do something like that with my boys..

fuzzpig Tue 17-Nov-15 09:38:30

This is the first year I've actually kept track. blush

Up to £115 on my 2 DCs (8 and 6) so far. Not sure what else we are getting. Haven't got a big 'main' gift planned which I normally do. Problem is I just keep seeing lovely things that they would enjoy.

They'll get a couple of bits from family but it's mostly us that buy for them. My parents and grandma prefer to give us money, which we used to use to buy more presents, but now use for activities (they are home ed now so do a lot of clubs) and possibly this year some kind of magazine or society subscription.

GooseFriend Tue 17-Nov-15 10:20:54

I think the spending takes a leap once they hit 8+ as they want more specific stuff and tech. Under 8 (or 5 definitely) you can chose to spend a lot less and they're happy.

Dd just turned 4. Got: a scooter £30, book £2, clothes £11 and shoes £9 and was delighted. I think a bigger kid would want more stuff and probably more pricey stuff.

Natalieday1 Tue 17-Nov-15 10:54:49

I agree goose! My 3 year old has a lot less spent on him and I know he will be over the moon with it! If only we could keep them little eh?smile xx

Jftbo74 Tue 17-Nov-15 10:57:03

To answer your question OP. Santa brings a stocking which costs about £15. Us parents give something to the value of £35. So £50 in total from us

Natalieday1 Tue 17-Nov-15 11:01:48

I agree goose! My 3 year old has a lot less spent on him and I know he will be over the moon with it! If only we could keep them little eh?smile xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now