Talk

Advanced search

When is your tree going up then??

(132 Posts)
lavendersun Tue 17-Nov-15 06:54:59

I spoke to someone yesterday who had put their tree up already shock. I thought that was just for the shops!

I have got a couple of friends coming here to do something festive (make wreaths) on the 1st. Sherry and mince pies will be involved and I was thinking of putting the tree up the day before to add to the occasion!

Bit earlier than usual for me I think but needs must and all that.

HoggleHoggle Tue 17-Nov-15 06:58:52

Second Sunday in Dec is the law in our house grin

StubbleTurnips Tue 17-Nov-15 06:59:20

Ours is always up for the 1st Dec!

I love the decs going up and we have 14 boxes of them in the attic

wannabestressfree Tue 17-Nov-15 06:59:42

First weekend in December- I literally cannot wait smile

SanityClause Tue 17-Nov-15 06:59:57

DH and I have discussed this.

We will go to the garden centre to choose our trees in the first week of December (around the 3rd or 4th). This is because we suspect lots of people will buy their trees on the weekend of the 5th and 6th. They will then probably deliver them around the 7th or 8th, and we will leave them outside under cover until the 12th, which is the following Saturday, and put them up, then.

It's always good to have a plan. wink

JeffsanArsehole Tue 17-Nov-15 07:00:03

I have always for 20 years put mine up on the weekend before Christmas.

Apart from last year when I put everything up the first weekend of December. Which I loved.

I will once again be extending Christmas for almost all of December (it will be the 6th).

HawkEyeTheNoo Tue 17-Nov-15 07:01:12

Probably the week before

BrandNewAndImproved Tue 17-Nov-15 07:02:09

Someone in my street has their tree up already and 2 of my fb friends.

Fuck that dust and clutter. Mine goes up a week before Christmas. I've done it the 1st of December before but it doesn't feel very special by the time Christmas day comes around.

I'd like to put it up Christmas Eve and take it down boxing day but the dc would flip.

AuntieStella Tue 17-Nov-15 07:03:21

Ours doesn't go up until quite late in December, and then of course we celebrate the full 12 days of Christmas, so a total of about 3 weeks.

I would have thought the 6/7 weeks between Advent Sunday (29 Nov this year) and Twelfth Night was long enough for even the most enthusiastic, but it seems not!

CoolSummer Tue 17-Nov-15 07:04:58

Always the 1st December

soupmaker Tue 17-Nov-15 07:07:09

Second Sunday in December. And that's early. My brother's birthday is the 20th so as kids the tree never went up until after his birthday.

AuditAngel Tue 17-Nov-15 07:10:20

DH and I discussed this on Sunday. He claims that last year it went up the day before Christmas Eve. It was the year before and it was the 21st, but I get his point. I have refused to do it the last weekend in November. It will be the 6th December as all 3 DC are in (2 different) shows the preceding week and I'll have enough to do that weekend. DD1 has a day off Panto (she's 8) on the 6th so that's the day.

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Tue 17-Nov-15 07:10:19

Probably the 5/6th of December. I'm. Not ashamed. I love Christmas!

AuditAngel Tue 17-Nov-15 07:11:00

Soup my sister's birthday is also the 20th and as kids the tree ALWAYS went up after her birthday.

YouMakeMyDreams Tue 17-Nov-15 07:22:01

Last year it went up on 30th November. Think I did it then because it was the weekend and the weather was bad so had a cosy afternoon with the dc ad Christmas tunes on. Then went out the following week and got a real one for the living room.
This year will probably go and bunches real one on the 5th or 6th. I'm feeling excited already.

Arfarfanarf Tue 17-Nov-15 07:22:34

Annual battle in our house. i want it up mid december. The kids want it up mid july grin so we compromise and put it up at the beginning of december.

atticusclaw2 Tue 17-Nov-15 07:23:16

We go on holiday on 7th December for a week and so ours will go up the weekend of 5th. Otherwise it will hardly be up for any time at al.

lavendersun Tue 17-Nov-15 07:24:31

Good to hear - mine always comes down early - it will be back in the loft on the 28th because we are going away on the 29th and I don't want to have to do it when I come back.

brightandshiney Tue 17-Nov-15 07:25:40

1st December and I cant wait

Ledkr Tue 17-Nov-15 07:34:33

Don't your trees all look tatty by xmas or just after if they go up too early?

INeedACheeseSlicer Tue 17-Nov-15 07:35:23

We are ordering ours from the garden centre, and I think they said they deliver them week of 14th-18th. Not sure if the DC will be able to deal with the frustration of having the tree out in the garden until the weekend, so we'll probably put it up after school, the day after it is delivered.

I prefer to put it up as late as possible and take it down in January, but if you leave it as late as I would like (my preference is for the 4th Sunday of Advent), then there is the danger that most of the tree places have already sold out.

lavendersun Tue 17-Nov-15 07:40:15

Mine is one of these Ledkr grin. Now entering Christmas no 4.

www.balsamhill.co.uk/BH-Fraser-Fir-by-Smoky-Mountain-Christmas-p/fra-t-uk.htm

Titsalinabumsquash Tue 17-Nov-15 07:43:20

No idea because we were told yesterday that DS would he in hospital from 30th Nov until the day before we go away on the 22nd Dec sad

SnozBuriedUnderThePatio Tue 17-Nov-15 07:44:05

Mine is already up blush

lavendersun Tue 17-Nov-15 07:45:37

Poor DS tits, that is rotten.

star snoz, round of applause grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now