Talk

Advanced search

What can my 4 year old DD make for Christmas presents?

(20 Posts)
BBQueen Mon 16-Nov-15 22:13:21

I'd like to get my DD (4) making some simple things to give as gifts to family and friends this year (in an attempt to teach her that Christmas is about giving, not just receiving).

I will have a hunt on Pinterest, but has anyone got any clever ideas for some items (cards? decorations? ornaments?) that are easy to make?

BlissfullyUnknown Mon 16-Nov-15 22:16:44

Something like this maybe?

RedKites Mon 16-Nov-15 22:20:59

White clay ornaments (you make the dough using bicarb and cornflour)

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 16-Nov-15 22:23:34

At that age I bought some cheap wooden photo frames from Ikea which DS painted and decorated liberally with glitter. Put in a cute photo of him, grandparents pleased!

SunnySomer Mon 16-Nov-15 22:25:07

Hyacinth bulb in a terracotta pot which she can decorate with seasonal potato prints?

BBQueen Mon 16-Nov-15 22:35:28

Brilliant ideas, thank you! Love the baubles, which I can do on a factory production line and get the baby involved too.

Tinofsardines Mon 16-Nov-15 22:35:19

I pinched the idea from here but we've decorated some white cotton teatowels with fabric paints.

Can usually get fabric paints from the poundshop so keeps costs down too!

We did some hand/foot prints an some general doodles and they looked fab grin

LittleMissGreen Mon 16-Nov-15 22:37:29

Every year the kids choose something to make from www.yellowmoon.org.uk/. They started when they were 1 or 2 just getting stickers and putting them on a page with a little calendar on the bottom. Now they tend to choose something that they are interested in e.g. last year dinosaur mad DS3 made everybody dinosaur windchimes. Sometimes they choose a Christmas craft. The only criteria is that they make it themselves as that means that they have had to put in some effort, as people who buy presents for them have had to put in some effort.

Niknakpaddywhack Mon 16-Nov-15 22:43:35

When my kids were younger they made all sorts of presents, lots of ideas in yellow moon as pp said eg personalised key rings, and also things like home-made bookmarks and decorating clear glass candle holders with glass paints.

christinarossetti Mon 16-Nov-15 22:49:12

Empty jar with tissue paper colleaged on and a ribbon round the top makes a nice holder for a tea light.

Jftbo74 Mon 16-Nov-15 22:51:11

Bake. Cakes. Biscuits.

Jftbo74 Mon 16-Nov-15 22:51:36

Make decorated boxes to hold the baked goods

icclemunchy Mon 16-Nov-15 23:01:56

I stole an idea I saw on here the other day and have got some plain canvas shopping bags from eBay and some fabric pens/paints

ThatsNotMyHouseItIsTooClean Mon 16-Nov-15 23:11:51

Get some sort of jar, cover it in cotton wool balls & add detail to make it look like a snowman. Add sweets to jar.
Order something Christmassy from Yellow Moon, make it & fill with sweets.
Buy houseplant. Wrap paper around pot bit & decorate.
My theory is that the recipient should get something they're actually going to like rather than just a bit of tat (this is particularly relevant for grandparents with lots of grandchildren), hence giving sweets or a plant or similar.

BBQueen Tue 17-Nov-15 03:38:00

I'm very much of the same mindset, that homemade gifts should be useful or disposable after a certain period (eg a sweet jar - great idea).

MTWTFSS Tue 17-Nov-15 07:02:47

Clotted cream fudge smile

TheWoodenSpoonOfMischief Tue 17-Nov-15 07:14:44

Jamie Oliver's hot chocolate mix in a nice jar
www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/epic-hot-chocolate/#FcvFAGkV4HfOh6pG.97

Tuiles Tue 17-Nov-15 07:18:56

Shops like The Works do canvases of various sizes very cheaply. Get a pack of small ones and some poster paint and make handprint pictures, or let your little one do her creative best!

HappydaysArehere Tue 17-Nov-15 09:10:57

Waterproof vase. Take something like an empty fairy washing up liquid container. Cut the top part off so you just have the cylinder shape. Rough the outside up with sandpaper. Cut up newspaper into pieces. Mix up some non toxic paste. Get her to cover the outside of the pot with the paper, doesn't matter how or how much paste, just let her get it on. Let it dry and repeat the process two or three times. Then cut up small pieces of bright tissue paper, cover the pot again. Then let her paint some kind of pattern on the tissue paper. Dots in different colours, stripes, flowers etc. When all is dry it looks really good if the adult varnishes the outside. This is pretty foolproof. I used to get four to five year olds make these for Christmas presents.

R0nJ0n Tue 17-Nov-15 09:17:30

Peppermint creams and coconut ice are good to make with young children, as unlike most other sweets neither involve boiling sugar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now