Talk

Advanced search

What Lego or Playmobil set gets played with most?

(37 Posts)
DragonMamma Mon 16-Nov-15 17:26:13

My DS is almost 5 and just starting to get in to Lego and Playmobil.

We bought him a Lego Junior set last Christmas and he's really enjoyed playing with it recently. He also likes to play with the Playmobil stable at the CM's.

I'd like to get him a relatively big-ish set this year but I'm absolutely baffled by all the sets and types.

What gets played with most in your house?

I'm looking for something around £50 and ideally a bargain.

atticusclaw2 Mon 16-Nov-15 17:27:26

Lego city was very short lived here. Star wars lego however has been played with from ages 4 right through to almost 11 and DS1 (nearly 11) has asked for more star wars lego for christmas.

Justmuddlingalong Mon 16-Nov-15 17:29:05

Love the campervan. Down to £39.08 on Amazon just now.

DragonMamma Mon 16-Nov-15 17:43:35

atticus what sets in particular? Ds does love Star Wars.

I'll go and look at the campervan now...

Snoopadoop Mon 16-Nov-15 17:46:58

My DS has a playmobil volcano with some dinosaurs... It's a firm favourite!

dannydyerismydad Mon 16-Nov-15 17:49:02

DS loves Lego Mixels. Making the small monsters then bashing them up and making bigger ones (you can download booklets from the Lego website).

Or any Lego with wheels.

megletthesecond Mon 16-Nov-15 17:52:43

Any lego. Set is built over then dismantled and added to previous lego for new builds.

I did add the roof tile, wheels and door / window sets to pep it up a bit.

atticusclaw2 Mon 16-Nov-15 17:58:29

Any lego star wars set. Mine have had lots over the years. The Endor rebel camp was very popular.

This year we've bought them the death star as a surprise...

Tournesol Mon 16-Nov-15 17:58:39

Depends on character of kids. DS1 loves Lego, especially Ninjago and superhero sets.

DS2 love his playmobil volcano with dinosaurs and he also has one of the dragon castles which they both play with.

I agree that Lego city has not been much of a hit as the kids seem more into the characters you get with the branded sets.

atticusclaw2 Mon 16-Nov-15 17:59:58

There are lots of smaller star wars sets if he's almost 5. I'd buy a couple of the smaller sets. The big ones can be a bit daunting until they get used to following the instructions.

OSETmum Mon 16-Nov-15 18:14:32

The trouble with Lego is that it falls to bits when they try to actually play with it, it's more for show. The Playmobil camper van is a great start to a Playmobil collection!

BuildersBum Mon 16-Nov-15 20:31:15

PM - Dragons & dragon castle. Construction stuff, especially the remote control crane. Campervan and swimming pool. The police vehicles.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Mon 16-Nov-15 20:35:24

Playmobil pirate ship and other bits or volcano most popular with DS over the last few years.

Lego chima a massive hit, but it's fiddly and fragile so I wouldn't recommend for a 5 year old. City was good at that age. Fire, police, space etc.

CocktailQueen Mon 16-Nov-15 20:36:57

Playmobil here! The zoo, camper van, vet set, swimming pool set, volcano and dinosaurs, and safari set. I love Playmobil... More than the dc do!

cuntycowfacemonkey Mon 16-Nov-15 20:39:35

We're all about Jurassic World Lego these days (although was sad to see a goat and a cow from DS2's farm set being lowered into the raptor enclosure in a make shift sling tonight sad )

Littlemousewithcloggson Mon 16-Nov-15 20:39:55

I have girls but the most played with by far is the Campervan, the pool and the horse stables.

LauraChant Mon 16-Nov-15 20:42:45

Playmobil castle gets played with way more than any of the other sets here (7 and 5 year old boys).

As someone said, Lego falls apart when you try to play with a built set, so mine tend to build it once then add it to all the other Lego and build spaceships. So the best sets have been small Star Wars ones they can mix and match. They love the mini figures best.

LauraChant Mon 16-Nov-15 20:44:50

Actually, the best Lego set we got, thinking about it, was a bucket of bricks with a leaflet suggesting what you could build. It was a great starter set, DS loved it, and all Lego since has ended up in that bucket (mini figs now have their own).

wiltingfast Mon 16-Nov-15 20:45:02

I don't think it matters massively. Get a big set with lots of different types of pieces and he'll play away endlessly ime. We got the police one and I think he has the mine. He's had Star Wars and Chima and agree they are less playable (fragile etc) but on the other hand they produced some novel Lego pieces that I see him reusing regularly. He's 6 now.

myotherusernameisbetter Mon 16-Nov-15 20:47:49

OSET but that is sort of the point of lego, it's meant to come apart and recreated and made into other stuff. Apart from which most of the sets DSs had were pretty robust apart from one very expensive star wars one that for some reason just wasn't very stable at all.

DSs have thousands of pounds worth of the stuff. They actually enjoyed the lego city stuff and DS1 liked the houses in particular. However I do agree that they did get a lot of play value form the star wars stuff - more so all they characters rather than the vehicles -they tended to mix up the vehicles and make their own designs but loved having darth vader and all the guys with their lightsabers and the guns to ride in them. In general they'd use the lego city to build backdrops and scenes to play star wars around......then the pirates would arrive..... grin

My great nephew loves the superhero sets with batman etc in that you get now. However you do get a lot less lego for your money in the branded ones as you are paying for the licence of the brand as well as the actual pieces. It seems expensive but they do get a lot of use and it is indestructable.

They did have a couple of Wild west type playmobil sets but I think it really wasn't versatile enough for them as it was difficult for them to adapt it to their own story line. I think it really depends on the child though.

Only1scoop Mon 16-Nov-15 20:48:05

Dd 5 loves the vets surgery swimming pool and camping set.

This year she wants Scooby doo Lego....that looks quite good.

She has some of the Lego car and aircraft sets. Very complicated to build the actual thing but she just designs random cars etc with it.

cuntycowfacemonkey Mon 16-Nov-15 20:49:20

TBH I think Lego is only great in this house because it is fortified with the mountain of Lego DH still has from his childhood so he can build things like a visitors centre and a monorail around the recently bought sets which makes it more playable IMO.

IsItMeOr Mon 16-Nov-15 22:45:27

I suspect it depends on your child. DS loves lego, almost any set. He builds it into following the instructions, then adds it to his large collection and builds his own things, again and again (and again).

The playmobil isn't played with as much. That might be because the lego never goes away so that we can get the playmo out...

The playmo stuff also comes to pieces - which I personally find more frustrating, as it's not meant to. The school and the western fort are particularly bad for this. The take along western city is probably my personal favourite, as it packs away neatly and has lots of play in it too.

They are all good toys though, so I think you have to go with what you know about what your DS likes.

DragonMamma Mon 16-Nov-15 22:47:29

Thanks for all your responses, I've got some serious Googling to do.

eckythumpenallthat Mon 16-Nov-15 22:50:36

Dd is 3.5 and last year acquired my old playmobil set which Is the 80's playground set. Quick google and they still do a playground one and a couple of the bits are the same. She loves it and it gets played with most days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now