We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to buy for a 3 yr old and a 6 yr old girl?!

(28 Posts)
Ladydanni Mon 16-Nov-15 14:49:08

I am really struggling this year as to what to buy my daughters age 3 & 6. My 3 yr old tends to have a lot handed down to her and my 6 yr old doesn't really play with toys much. What is everyone buying for theirs hil drew? Please give me some ideas. TIA x

Stokey Mon 16-Nov-15 15:18:47

Interested to see what people suggest. Mine are the same age. Dd2 is getting a crawling baby Annabel that she had been asking for consistently since seeing an ad for it about 6 months ago. Dd1 has just had a birthday where she got a new bike from us, Lucy dog from one Grandma and a Princess Leia outfit from the other. We may get her a new scooter but don't know if she needs one as she mainly uses her bike now. She's also asked for a desk so she can have somewhere private to write.
But have got nothing concrete yet.

CaptainKit Mon 16-Nov-15 16:11:27

My niece and nephew are 6 and 3 respectively. I'm getting my niece a furby (with some limited apologies to her parents) and a book about how to care for it, plus some clothes. My nephew will be getting two Ben and Holly toys; the helicopter and the magic class play set, along with a Ben and Holly activity book, and some clothes.

My standard thinking with their gifts has been 'something fun, something educational, and some clothes' - so usually a toy, a book and clothes. When they were younger I sometimes swapped the book for something else; wooden letters/numbers, or a fun learn-to-tell-the-time clock type thing.

CathFizz Mon 16-Nov-15 16:59:12

My DD has just turned 4 and my DN is nearly 6. So far I have bought DD playmobil, busy books, play doh, books (Usborne puzzle books are good), dvd, My Little Pony as she is obsessed a disney princess dress. I have bought play doh set, books, princess dress for my DN too. They have both asked for kinetic sand though not got this yet.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Mon 16-Nov-15 18:28:10

the answer here is too much!! haha!!

some things dd's aged 6 and 3 will get from us and others.

both will get
* busy books - they are obsessed, today i got the good dinosaur and disney pixar but also getting dreamworks, frozen fever and paw patrol.
* remote control car each.
* tsum tsum teddies and figures
* personalised book
* mini animator doll playset from disney store
* books - the fairytale hairdresser, the dinosaur who pooped, winnie the witch and some disney/character ones.

dd1 (split between birthday and christmas)
* playmobil carry along castle
* monster high, equestria girls and ever after high dolls
* inside out dvd and figure set
* littlest pet shop house and figures
* shopkins fridge, ice cream van and figures
* build a bear, with clothes and carrier.
*nintendo 2ds with games
* melissa and doug wooden hangman game (looks really good)
* dartboard
* shut the box game
* pass the pigs game
* diary and scented pen

dd2
* doc mcstuffins vet bag
* paw patrol dogs and various other paw patrol bits!
* till with basket of food
* wooden skittle set
* captain american dress up (v cute from asda its a tutu dress with sparkly shield)
* jake and neverland pirates playset
* new magnetic drawing thing (paw patrol if i can get one!)
* hulk titan figure
* wooden wedding cake and cupcakes

DanielSpaniel Mon 16-Nov-15 18:44:10

My 6 year old DD and her friends are all obsessed with Shopkins so I've bought her a playset. She's also getting a science kit, playdoh, monster high stuff and a few other things.

Ladydanni Mon 16-Nov-15 19:47:00

Some great ideas there thank u. My 6 yr old has got 2 shopkins as she asked for them one day when we were shopping... I don't quite understand what they are about?! Lol x

MooPointCowsOpinion Mon 16-Nov-15 19:51:20

Mine are crazy for tsum tsums.

If there's not much they want/need I'd consider a few fun gifts and then money into savings instead.

Or failing that, the new playmobil School range looks awesome.

Ladydanni Mon 16-Nov-15 19:52:16

Does anybody know the cheapest place for busy books? They seem a little expensive x

Ladydanni Mon 16-Nov-15 19:53:05

I'll have to look in to the playmobil sets... Thing is my 6 yr old doesn't really play with toys at all x

StrawberrytallCake Mon 16-Nov-15 20:03:42

We are going for -

Scooters
Disney princess dream castle - not sure whether to share this although dd1 asked for it.
two animator dolls from disney
two play doh sets (crazy cuts and minion)
a till for dd2
baby annabell for dd1 (who is requesting a wardrobe for it too??)
Barbie glitter hair doll - dd1
Scrapbook kit - dd1
Frozen make up kit
An ariel costume for dd1 & Dr costume for dd2

bits and pieces from paperchase for dd1

Trying to think of more for 3 year old as finding my eldest dangerously easy to buy for.

Shopkins also confuses me - what do you doooo with them???

StrawberrytallCake Mon 16-Nov-15 20:04:07

Ah yes also duplo for dd2 which seems to keep them both busy!

kimlo Mon 16-Nov-15 20:10:03

All she wants are tsum tsums and shopkins. I have got her a tsum tsum make your own braclet set, and a decorate a bag set.

Now Im stuck.

evenoldergregg Mon 16-Nov-15 20:47:26

My 5 year old daughter is getting the Hape space station, some Star Wars figures, a princess Leia costume and a cheap Argos bookcase (£15) filled with lots of fabulous books! Have been buying the books all year, mostly from the book people, but have found many on Amazon in very good/like new condition for little more than the price of postage! Will build bookcase on Christmas Eve, arrange the books on the shelf, and wrap in its entirety!

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Mon 16-Nov-15 21:06:11

My six year old dd is the same and not really in to toys. She has asked for shopkins, a zelf, secret diary and her ears pierced. Im getting her little make up set. Couple of dress up costumes and light up conderellas glass slippers

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Mon 16-Nov-15 21:06:48

Oops hadn't finished. I keep asking if anything else she wants and she says nope nothing at all!

DanielSpaniel Mon 16-Nov-15 21:39:41

I think Shopkins are a bit like moshi monsters. DD likes collecting them and putting them in the mini shopping baskets & carrying them around with her...and that's it! They're pretty pointless but the girls are mad about them & like the 'limited edition' ones.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Mon 16-Nov-15 23:19:59

im thinking the shopkins are just like the moshi monsters that we have 100's of which dd will play with. i saw some shopkins clothes today in asda incase anyone is looking. a nightie and a tshirt smile

tsum tsums - have u seen the entertainer have exclusive squishy figures (again like shopkins and moshi's a little pointless!) and they are releasing light up ones smile

busy books - best places are supermarkets (asda & tesco £5 sainsburys £3.99) or tkmaxx had a massive selection £4.99 each. whsmith also sell them but are £7.99 (sometimes there are discount cards or codes)

evenolder that sounds like an amazing present! my dd loves her bookcase and sitting on her beanbag reading smile

but if u need inspiration from them grab a few catalogues and let them look through, i ordered the smyths one online and then grabbed the christmas ones from town. dd's enjoy looking through and have mentioned a few things.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Mon 16-Nov-15 23:21:55

strawberry i have the same thing my eldest is so much easier to buy for, my 3 year old doesnt really play with much other than busy books, a doctors kit and occasionally dresses up!

CheerfulYank Mon 16-Nov-15 23:26:17

My daughter is 2 and a half and getting a play kitchen if that helps!

May have a look at these tsum tsum things for their stockings...

Ladydanni Tue 17-Nov-15 09:15:55

I got them both a really nice little tikes wooden kitchen a couple of years ago. My D2 plays with it sometimes, but my D1 has never really bothered with it. I've tried getting my D1 to look through the argos catalogue this morning and start writing her list to santa, but I could see the look of bewilderment on her face, as she didn't know what she wanted to ask for.

Elvish Tue 17-Nov-15 11:36:15

My DD (6) doesn't really play with toys either. She has asked for Heelys, big hero 6 bedding, a chocolate coin maker and more aqua beads. I'm going with stuff she will grow out of / use up as the house is full of toys she doesn't play with!
For her birthday she asked for money, which she has been spending slowly over the last 5 months. She's really enjoyed being grown up and I have enjoyed much simpler conversations whenever she asks for something (yes you can have that plastic tat toy, if you pay for it yourself)

I was also going to get her some pop Cds, would your DD like that and a cd player / ipod type thing?

Bertiebutterfly Tue 17-Nov-15 12:10:21

I've got DD's aged 7 and 3.

I've got them both a VTech camera. I'm hoping there is enough to keep the older one entertained and it's robust to cope with my 3 year old!

DD1 is more difficult as she doesn't really play and isn't into shopkins. I'll get her some lego and looking for a microscope. Struggling too as there really is nothing she wants / needs!!

Ladydanni Tue 17-Nov-15 16:34:30

Kids seem to grow up so fast these days lol. They don't seem to play with toys for long at all. I have managed to find some good bargains at my local b&m for DD1 a telescope, craft kits and a monster high style model kit. For DD2 I got a hobby horse and a Minnie mouse phone that teaches numbers and phonics I also got them both dvds (disney ones down to £6.99). I'm also buying some books from Amazon and a cool cardz set for DD1.
I'm getting there slowly lol

eckythumpenallthat Tue 17-Nov-15 16:43:36

dd will be 3.9 at Xmas. She has got the asda wooden dolls house and yesterday I trailed to 4 Lidls to get some wooden room furniture sets for it. She is also getting pop up pirate, studio Ghibli DVDs and little bits n bobs that will come in over the next year in her stocking. Her grandma is getting a dolls pram and her auntie is getting her a doll. They did letters to father Xmas at nursery yesterday and shed wrote 'a baby doll and a massive teddy bear' so I think she'll be quite happy with what she has

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now