Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone understand Skylanders?

(8 Posts)
MissOnomer Mon 16-Nov-15 12:11:42

My DS (age 7) has been asking for a game called Skylanders. He has an Xbox 360. I'm 42 and quite square - it looks baffling Trap teams, Spyro, Giants etc etc. Please can anyone explain what is essential and what to add on smile Many thanks in anticipation

TennesseeMountainPointOfView Mon 16-Nov-15 12:22:06

You need one of the starter packs. This has the actual game, a thing called the Portal of Power (yes, really) and a figure or two. You can then buy other figures, on their own or in sets.

There are a few different versions of the game, but you can mix and match the figures between them. Skylanders Superchargers is the latest version, and as well as figures, you can get vehicles and other equipment for the characters to use in the game. I think the vehicles etc wouldn't work in the older versions of the game (originals, trap team etc) because the game wasn't written for them, iyswim.

Hope that helps!

Anastasie Mon 16-Nov-15 12:28:36

If you can stretch to a Superchargers starter pack (about 45 quid) that is by far the best one so far, also it's the newest, so the extra figures will be quite dear for a while (until they bring out the next version...)

Good reviews

we have the pevious ones.It's very popular in our house. Be prepared to get asked for new figures all the time though.

MissOnomer Mon 16-Nov-15 12:31:26

Thankyou Tennessee - a portal of power huh! He already thinks he rules the world! x

MissOnomer Mon 16-Nov-15 12:32:45

Oh and thanks Anastie too, much appreciate your advice

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Mon 16-Nov-15 14:47:58

I'd recommend the strategy guide for whatever starter set. DS found it really handy when he got his first game.

TennesseeMountainPointOfView Mon 16-Nov-15 16:48:09

yy Doctor - strategy guides are great, if for nothing other than giving them something new to read! I got DS to read a lot more than he wanted to, when he was younger, by using game strategy guides. They have lots of unfamiliar words in that they have to work out too, so it makes them use their reading skills!!

DragonMamma Mon 16-Nov-15 17:30:53

Massive Skylanders fan in this house.

Trap team has been the biggest hit so far.
I saw Spyro's adventure starter pack in Poundstretcher recently for £10 but you'll struggle to get more figures for those now.

We have bought DS Superchargers for Christmas and I have no doubt it'll be a massive hit.

Be warned though, you won't get away with the starter pack figures for long, as once they die you can't play the game until they are revived and parts of the game only work with certain figures.

For Trap team, we now have around 25 figures and all the traps. I dread to think how much we have spent but if you search the second hand bins in Game, you can get the figures cheap and on 3 for 2, although they aren't boxed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: