Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you come from or live outsid the UK, what do you traditionally cook/eat on Christmas Day?

(15 Posts)
R0nJ0n Mon 16-Nov-15 09:34:12

I'm just being nosey here, I love reading about other people's food and traditions so please share santa star smile.

PacificDogwod Mon 16-Nov-15 09:39:06

Not turkey anyway grin

I'm from Germany - traditional Christmas dinner foods include goose and carp. Yes, carp.

We never had either of those (well, I think goose once in my childhood), but had various different 'fancy' dinners. My mother is a very good, French trained cook and always made something different. Growing up my favourite was fondue - a bit dated now, but delicious!
We'd had it on Christmas Eve of course, the most important day of the holiday wink

winchester1 Mon 16-Nov-15 09:43:19

25th is our family's cooking day so we do grouse and a English Xmas roast.

24th is sil and bil day they do a julbord with cold meats, pickled sill, salmon, boiled potatoes, cheese, fruits, pickles, home baked breads etc its really nice. Then on their crazy yrs they will surprise you with a cooked meal when you think your done eating shock

R0nJ0n Mon 16-Nov-15 09:44:32

Christmas Eve fondue, I could certainly get behind that as a tradition, not so sure of the carp, I had it once and it was to my recollection a rather...fibrous fish.

PacificDogwod Mon 16-Nov-15 09:45:57

I've never had carp - I think it's more of northern Germany tradition.
And my mother loathes fish grin

OwlAtEase Mon 16-Nov-15 10:09:53

I'm in Australia. We usually have a fairly traditional roast in the evening, but through the day we eat lots of bread, cheeses, seafood, cold meat and antipasto platters, potato salad, berries and cream, and christmas pudding. DH and I have a tradition on Christmas Eve, once DD is in bed, where we light candles and cuddle up by the tree and eat cheese and chocolate smile

elQuintoConyo Mon 16-Nov-15 10:11:36

Prawns and canelone followed by dusty 'cakes' called polverone. We're near Barcelona. So far we have adopted a type of nougat (turron) and tasty marzipan sweets, but that's all food-wise.

We go to Lidl/Aldi to get stuff that tastes like home (we're an Irish-English mix! ) and make other stuff from scratch - stuffing, mincemeat etc.

Last year we served salmon and vol au vents grin

At New Year we eat a grape for each bong of the midnight bell. The trick is to buy seedless!

Pacific we go to a German friend's house every year for Advent Brunch - I am very much looking forward to 29th November smile

SparklyTinselTits Mon 16-Nov-15 10:25:24

My mum is Polish, so we have a traditional Polish Christmas on Christmas Eve, and the usual British Christmas on Christmas Day.
We serve fish (traditionally it's supposed to be carp, but we usually have salmon). Traditionally, meat is not eaten as the main part of the meal out of respect to the animals who watched over the baby Jesus in the manger smile No food should be eaten until the first star can be seen in the sky, so we have hot chocolate heated over out fire pit put in the garden just before it starts to get dark. We make Uszka, which are little dumplings filled with a mushroom mixture, which are served with Barszcz, which is a type of rank beetroot soup. it's disgusting, even the smell makes me heave! my favourite part is the piernik! It's a type of really moist, squidgy cake that tastes just like gingerbread but doesn't break your teeth!. Me and mum usually make it The morning of Christmas Eve....and she still lets me lick the bowl grin
Then Christmas Day, we do the usual roast turkey with all the trimmings, Christmas pudding with brandy butter...all that jazz. star

PacificDogwod Mon 16-Nov-15 10:36:13

elQuinto, Advent is my favourite time of year, bar none starsmilestar

Carpaccio Mon 16-Nov-15 12:04:27

I'm Danish and we do a traditional Danish Christmas every year.

We celebrate on the 24th.

At 18.00 or so, guests arrive. We'll usually have a drink and some nibbles.

Sometimes we have a starter, such as smoked salmon.

The main meal is roast duck with apples and prunes, served with caramelised potatoes, red cabbage, sauce, cooked apples with redcurrant jelly, Waldorf salad, apple with horseradish. Sometimes my dad also makes roast pork with crackling.

Dessert is basically a rice pudding (pudding rice cooked with milk and vanilla), cooled and then mixed with blanched coarsely chopped almonds and whipped cream, served with a cherry sauce (we tend to prefer the Italian Amarena cherry sauce, but a warm Danish one is nice too).
There will be a whole almond in the dish and the person who find this wins a present - usually a marzipan log made by my mum.

Then we get presents and eat some more sweets/marzipan/fruit.

On the next day, we have a Christmas lunch with loads of different open sandwiches and dishes. There'll be pickled herring, smoked fish and scrambled eggs, pork loin, black pudding (the Danish one is sweet with raisins and served with syrup and/or cinnamon sugar), and loads of other stuff that I can't remember. We'll have the dessert from the day before again. We have loads of beer and snaps. It can easily take 3-5 hours.

Dinner usually is light after having a massive lunch like this.

This repeats for a few days if going to see different family members.

Kuriusoranj Mon 16-Nov-15 13:55:04

We're now in SE Asia, but I'm originally from the UK. There is a huge and strong expat community here so most things can be got for a price. Consequently we have a very traditional British Christmas - tree, roast beast, crackers, Christmas pudding etc. Most things are easier to make than buy, but I like a bit of poncing so that suits me.

I'm OK with a hot Christmas by now (and anyway, we live in fairly permanent aircon so it's actually chilly indoors if anything) but I struggle with the light, of all things. It doesn't go dark here till 7pm, same as every other day of the year. It's still weird to start and end Christmas dinner in bright sunshine.

mmgirish Mon 16-Nov-15 14:06:50

I'm in SE Asia too. We eat pretty much as what we would at home although my son has asked for sticky rice as well.

SquadGoals Mon 16-Nov-15 14:28:53

Originally from the UK but having Christmas with the ILs in Australia again this year.

Lunch is normally at a family friend's at about 4pm - normally a seafood platter starter, 5 bird roast with pumpkin, roasties and various salads. DH and I are on dessert duty this year - thinking pavlova and chocolate brownies.

R0nJ0n Mon 16-Nov-15 14:33:07

These are fasinating, my mouth is watering at the Danish eve Christmas meal especially. santa

HolgerDanske Mon 16-Nov-15 19:15:31

I am Danish too, and there is nothing better than a traditional Danish Christmas dinner and family gathering fsmile

I am in the UK now but always fondly remember Juleaften at my Mormor and Morfar's house.

<wibble>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now