Talk

Advanced search

starter

(16 Posts)
dietstartsmonday Mon 16-Nov-15 08:03:37

Looking for a light starter for Christmas day. No salmon. Ideally something I can make ahead

Any ideas?

YakTriangle Mon 16-Nov-15 08:08:53

I've never done a starter because I'm not sure why you'd need one with a meal as big as Christmas dinner, but watching with interest to see what other people have. Maybe I just do Christmas dinners far too big smileblush

Ragwort Mon 16-Nov-15 08:17:06

Me neither Yak - we do pass round a few smoked salmon canapes with the pre-meal champagne cava, but the faff of serving a starter (even if ready prepared) whilst trying to serve the turkey meal would be too much effort for me. And yes, I probably do make the main meal too big. grin

ChristmasZombie Mon 16-Nov-15 08:37:01

We don't do a starter either. But if I did, I think I'd do something like canapés that could just be put out on the table about an hour before the main meal for everyone to help themselves to.

dietstartsmonday Mon 16-Nov-15 16:39:51

I don't normally but quite fancied it this year.

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 16-Nov-15 16:40:52

Traditional prawn cocktail?

Pengweng Mon 16-Nov-15 18:36:06

I don't do one but my Auntie used to do veggie broth which i hated so i had melon and ham. Melon and Prosciutto would be a nice light starter that you can prepare in advance and i secretly still love it even though it is a bit 80s.

whatdoIget Mon 16-Nov-15 18:39:27

Prawn cocktail with horseradish in

Asteria36 Mon 16-Nov-15 18:46:31

We usually have canapés or something really easy like a boozy pate with some sort of sticky chutney/relish and Melba toast. We have also had twice baked cheese soufflés or a smoked salmon mousse, but the DC aren't so keen.
Getting very excited about all the festive food!

Chewbecca Mon 16-Nov-15 19:13:50

But how will you get the veg finished off etc if you're eating a starter? The timings just don't work imo, hence it has to be canapés only.

Cookingongas Mon 16-Nov-15 19:37:01

I always do a starter. Usually cold though. Pate and toast. Goats cheese and walnut salad. Prawn cocktail. Mozzerella tomato and basil salad.

I also do canapes- Brushetta with salmon/ Parma ham/ shaved courgette and Parmesan.

Goose plus roasts, Yorkshires, pigs in blankets, brussel sprouts, parsnips, carrots and red cabbage.

And trifle.

Perhaps we're greedyblush

dietstartsmonday Mon 16-Nov-15 19:57:33

Melon and ham sounds good. Am hosting this year rather than just us so thought it would be a nice touch

Crikeyblimey Mon 16-Nov-15 20:12:02

If there are a lot of us (and we are usually 15+) then a meaty platter (Italian meats / pâté) and a plate of fish (smoked salmon / prawns etc) with some brown bread.

However this year I'm thinking canapés cos timings for veg are easier without a sit down starter but they are such a faff especially when fridge space is limited.

Madbengalmum Mon 16-Nov-15 20:13:45

Prawn cocktail, home made pate/rilettes?

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 16-Nov-15 20:15:07

I'm not doing the traditional meal this year, but in previous years when I have then I've spaced the meal out, so starter at 12, main at 2, dessert at 4 etc.

Makemineacabsauv Mon 16-Nov-15 22:04:58

We are such pigs we do our meal
In stages!! Lovely seafood platter (pate for DD although she will eat lobster!!) then main course about an hour or so later! Then pud when everyone wants it! We used to do it all in one go till a year or 2 ago when my dm wasn't really enjoying her dinner as it was all too much all in one go, so as its just 5 of us we are quite relaxed about it and go with the flow! Love the continental meat platter but seafood is loved too much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now