Talk

Advanced search

duplicate presents

(15 Posts)
AngryWildChild Sun 15-Nov-15 21:31:19

Definitely a first world problem, however DH and I both suggested the same present to our parents for dd without realising and now both have confirmed they have brought it. Don't really know what to do now without upsetting one as both are really pleased with the one they have purchased. It's a relatively large gift that would be kept in a visible place so not like we can put both in her room and nobody be any the wiser. Any suggestions?

NickNacks Sun 15-Nov-15 21:32:39

Can't you say what it is?

AutumnLeavesArePretty Sun 15-Nov-15 21:32:56

Donate it to her school or a local playgroup if you can't ask either to exchange it.

AngryWildChild Sun 15-Nov-15 21:35:41

And what do I say to the grandparents to explain where their present is as they are different colours and one will realise it's not the present they brought

RJnomaaaaaargh Sun 15-Nov-15 21:38:01

Explain to them both, ask if they'd like to return one, half in for the other and if they want buy another smaller present each too with the difference.

You have to ask one set of GPs to exchange. Personally I'd probably ask your parents and just explain what's happened.

AngryWildChild Sun 15-Nov-15 22:01:59

I feel terrible asking either to exchange as both feel the other one is involved in dds life more than the other and they both have quite a lot going on in their own lives at the moment, my mum gets depressed very easily and hates 'letting people down' dd is just young enough that she won't let slip she has two just now feel stuck

Littlemousewithcloggson Mon 16-Nov-15 00:23:01

Is there something your child would like more? If so I would speak to my mum and (blaming DH cos it's easier) would say that that DH had misunderstood our conversation damn him and told his parents to get the same present BUT LUCKILY there is something she wants even more so now you can get that. I would even offer to exchange it for her

ChristmasZombie Mon 16-Nov-15 03:51:48

What littlemouse said. Really, you need to get one returned and exchanged, otherwise it's just a massive waste all round.

Absolutely. It would be really silly and wasteful not to exchange one. It's nothing at all to do with 'letting people down' and you can use that to show your mum that actually she'd be really helping you and really being special for your dd by agreeing to change it.

RJnomaaaaaargh Mon 16-Nov-15 08:38:28

It would be an absolute shame for your daughter to lose out and a present go to waste because of the childishness and unrealistic expectations of four grown adults.

AngryWildChild Wed 18-Nov-15 20:00:54

Not sure being referred to as childish and unrealistic was quite necessary but hey there's always one nasty answer to a post. Am going to my parents tomorrow evening so will mention it then

BlueStarsAtNight Wed 18-Nov-15 22:15:32

I had almost this exact situation earlier in the year for a birthday. I told my parents in the end as I know that upset as they were that their present wasn't going to be used, they would have been far more mortified if I hadn't said anything and they'd found out later.

maryann1975 Wed 18-Nov-15 22:31:39

Definitely tell one set of gps and get them to exchange. I would hate to think that I had given someone a duplicate gift, especially if it was something expensive.
Your mum wouldn't be letting anyone down by exchanging, but your daughter would be let down getting two big presents the same. It would be a massive waste to have two identical (apart from the colour) things in her bedroom and they will find out eventually anyway.

RJnomore1 Wed 18-Nov-15 22:36:35

Oh angry I didn't mean you! I meant the grandparents - it sounds like they're in some sort of competition with each other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now