Talk

Advanced search

Home made cranberry sauce

(14 Posts)
Groovee Sun 15-Nov-15 16:07:22

Does anyone make their own cranberry sauce? Dh loves it, so thought I may try my own X

ouryve Sun 15-Nov-15 16:11:00

I have done in the past. It's nicest when it's just cranberries, sugar and water, without any orange, port, etc, even though that's what's in a lot of recipes. It just tastes so much fresher and cleaner, that way.

Groovee Sun 15-Nov-15 16:23:04

So if I replace the orange juice with water in the recipes? I can't have orange as its a reflux trigger.

RJnomaaaaaargh Sun 15-Nov-15 16:27:48

I make the nigella recipe. I love the way it's sharper than the shop bought stuff. I'll try to find it.

Jenijena Sun 15-Nov-15 16:28:03

Very easy. And very tasty too...

RJnomaaaaaargh Sun 15-Nov-15 16:28:41

Here

www.nigella.com/recipes/view/redder-than-red-cranberry-sauce

No oj in it either

PurpleDaisies Sun 15-Nov-15 16:31:22

I make my own too. It is so easy and really delicious. I've used the nigella recipe before and found it really really sweet-maybe my cranberries weren't as sharp as usual. I'm recommend starting with about a quarter of the sugar and keep adding to taste.

PotteringAlong Sun 15-Nov-15 16:34:47

Can you freeze it or does it need to be made fresh? I'm doing Christmas dinner for the first time this year!

CremeEggThief Sun 15-Nov-15 16:37:20

It's not that hard, and I say that as someone who never makes gravy or cheese sauce from scratch. I would make it a day or two in advance and keep it in the fridge and I like a splash of white wine rather than port or orange juice.

PurpleDaisies Sun 15-Nov-15 16:37:25

It keeps well in the fridge for about a week if you can manage not to eat it for that long. I normally make mine on Christmas Eve. I can't see why it wouldn't freeze.

TranquilityofSolitude Sun 15-Nov-15 16:39:26

I always make the one in the Delia Smith Christmas book here It does have orange juice in it, though. Although it says to put the cranberries through a mincer I never do as I like them to be recognisable and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I make it on Christmas Eve and it makes the whole house smell like Christmas.

PotteringAlong Sun 15-Nov-15 16:43:58

I can do it a few days before!

Groovee Sun 15-Nov-15 17:13:14

I was thinking I'd do it on the 23rd!

MrsJamin Sun 15-Nov-15 23:13:19

I've frozen it before! They are really cheap in lidl, only a quid or so for a punnet which is enough.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: