Home made cranberry sauce

(14 Posts)
Groovee Sun 15-Nov-15 16:07:22

Does anyone make their own cranberry sauce? Dh loves it, so thought I may try my own X

ouryve Sun 15-Nov-15 16:11:00

I have done in the past. It's nicest when it's just cranberries, sugar and water, without any orange, port, etc, even though that's what's in a lot of recipes. It just tastes so much fresher and cleaner, that way.

Groovee Sun 15-Nov-15 16:23:04

So if I replace the orange juice with water in the recipes? I can't have orange as its a reflux trigger.

RJnomaaaaaargh Sun 15-Nov-15 16:27:48

I make the nigella recipe. I love the way it's sharper than the shop bought stuff. I'll try to find it.

Jenijena Sun 15-Nov-15 16:28:03

Very easy. And very tasty too...

RJnomaaaaaargh Sun 15-Nov-15 16:28:41

Here

www.nigella.com/recipes/view/redder-than-red-cranberry-sauce

No oj in it either

PurpleDaisies Sun 15-Nov-15 16:31:22

I make my own too. It is so easy and really delicious. I've used the nigella recipe before and found it really really sweet-maybe my cranberries weren't as sharp as usual. I'm recommend starting with about a quarter of the sugar and keep adding to taste.

PotteringAlong Sun 15-Nov-15 16:34:47

Can you freeze it or does it need to be made fresh? I'm doing Christmas dinner for the first time this year!

CremeEggThief Sun 15-Nov-15 16:37:20

It's not that hard, and I say that as someone who never makes gravy or cheese sauce from scratch. I would make it a day or two in advance and keep it in the fridge and I like a splash of white wine rather than port or orange juice.

PurpleDaisies Sun 15-Nov-15 16:37:25

It keeps well in the fridge for about a week if you can manage not to eat it for that long. I normally make mine on Christmas Eve. I can't see why it wouldn't freeze.

TranquilityofSolitude Sun 15-Nov-15 16:39:26

I always make the one in the Delia Smith Christmas book here It does have orange juice in it, though. Although it says to put the cranberries through a mincer I never do as I like them to be recognisable and it doesn't seem to make any difference. I make it on Christmas Eve and it makes the whole house smell like Christmas.

PotteringAlong Sun 15-Nov-15 16:43:58

I can do it a few days before!

Groovee Sun 15-Nov-15 17:13:14

I was thinking I'd do it on the 23rd!

MrsJamin Sun 15-Nov-15 23:13:19

I've frozen it before! They are really cheap in lidl, only a quid or so for a punnet which is enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now