Talk

Advanced search

What do you have for Christmas dinner - all the side dishes etc?

(76 Posts)
HuevosRancheros Sun 15-Nov-15 10:05:55

I'm hosting Christmas this year - it will be me, DH, DD (7), DS (5), MiL and FiL.

DH and I are veggie, DS is a fussy sod, so it'll only be DD and the in-laws who will be eating meat.

For that reason, I'm going for chicken rather than turkey shock
I don't want tons of leftovers and can't justify the extra cost of a turkey crown just to say we've had turkey - is it really that much better than chicken?

We don't do roasts during the year (shock again), but the in-laws do, so I want to make this seem special, not just another roast chicken lunch.

So far, I have planned:

Chicken/quorn roast/nut roast
Roast potatoes
Roast parsnips
Mash (I wouldn't, but DH loves it)
Yorkshires (I know they should be with beef, but I love them, and kind of think the joy of Christmas lunch is that you can have what you like, within reason)
Stuffing
Red cabbage
Sprouts (possibly with shallots and chestnuts)
Carrots
Cauliflower cheese
Pigs in blankets (this will be DS's protein wink)
Bread sauce
Gravy
Cranberry sauce

Have I forgotten anything obvious? Any additions?

TIA flowers

Ragwort Sun 15-Nov-15 10:10:10

I'd only prepare that much if you can do quite a bit in advance (or have a lot of help) - and have a lot of space in your kitchen/oven; do you really need cauliflower cheese with all the other veg? Couldn't your DH forgo mash for one day? There will be a lot of 'last minute' prep unless you are really well organised. I would get completely flustered with that number of side dishes, plus entertaining guests and young children - not to mention wanting to enjoy yourself with a few glasses of something. grin.

myotherusernameisbetter Sun 15-Nov-15 10:16:56

That sounds pretty much what we have (the sides, not the main dish, we have no vegetarians). I roast the carrots too as that cuts out another pot and we now use frozen mash as its lovely and saves a bit of faff. I do make homemade roast potatoes though.

ChristmasZombie Sun 15-Nov-15 10:18:20

What about roasting the carrots? That way you can shove them in with the potatoes and parsnips.

HuevosRancheros Sun 15-Nov-15 10:18:29

Good thinking, thank you, but I aim to be well prepared smile

Red cabbage, bread sauce and gravy will be made well ahead and frozen.
Possibly Yorkshires too.

Potatoes and parsnips will have been parboiled, and possibly frozen, the day before.

Cauli cheese can be made the day before and then just finished off in the oven on the day, once the meat is out and the potatoes/parsnips are doing.

I may try to talk DH down from the mash grin

HuevosRancheros Sun 15-Nov-15 10:22:57

Sorry, my reply was to ragwort, x post.

Roasted carrots is an idea, may trial that out in the next month.
Do you parboil them as for potatoes and parsnips?

Last year I made mash the day before and then microwaved it on the day blush. DH is such a food heathen that he didn't care/couldn't taste the difference, but I'm not sure I'd want to serve that to in-laws (who I love dearly and want to serve up a nice meal to!). I didn't eat any as I'm not that fussed with mash, especially when there are roasties to be had grin

GloriaHotcakes Sun 15-Nov-15 10:25:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 15-Nov-15 10:28:29

Turkey
Stuffing
Roast potatos
Yorkies
Pigs in blankets
Sprouts
Roast parsnips
Red cabbage in wine
Cheesy leeks
Carrot and swede mash

myotherusernameisbetter Sun 15-Nov-15 10:34:37

Frozen mash is fine. I par boil my potatoes but I tend to just shove the carrots and parsnips in. The carrots take a lot longer. Should probably par boil them tbh.

QforCucumber Sun 15-Nov-15 10:35:16

Looks very similar to ours, feeding me + 5 this year.
I do honey roast the parsnips,
And i put the roasties in the same dish as the chicken/turkey when it has about 30 minutes to go. Saves a dish and shelf in the oven.
Last year I talked dp through making the Yorkshire puds while I was on with the veg - they rose fantastically and he was so proud of himself haha.
I used a 3 tier steamer for carrots, sprouts and brocolli - saved hob space and meant kitchen didn't get as hot. Definitely recommend doing that.

QforCucumber Sun 15-Nov-15 10:36:23

Ah jut realised as a veggie you probably wont want the roasties done in the chicken fats. my mistake.

ClashCityRocker Sun 15-Nov-15 10:36:41

We have exactly the same as whothefuckissimon but without the cheesy leeks. May have another green vegetable as well.

Love carrot and swede mashj.

howtorebuild Sun 15-Nov-15 10:38:05

Can you do the meateaters some sausage stuffing? I think chicken is fine.

ClashCityRocker Sun 15-Nov-15 10:38:38

Oh yeah, roast shallots as well.

I just bung all the roasting veg in together though so it doesn't create much extra work.

gladisgood Sun 15-Nov-15 10:39:35

Turkey with:-

Roast potatoes
Roast Butternut squash, parsnips and sweet potatoes
Steamed carrots and broccoli
Roast sprouts ( they are yummy - olive oil and sea salt grin)
Red cabbage
Chipolatas
Yorkshire puddings
Gravy
Bread sauce
Cranberry relish
Stuffing

All home made. (Most of it we have every sunday with a roast chicken!)

I make a red wine pear pavlova for pud. Christmas pudding is for Boxing Day in this house!

HuevosRancheros Sun 15-Nov-15 10:41:31

Gloria, that's interesting - is turkey really that different to chicken?

Fortunately, my in-laws are wonderful people, the focus of Christmas Day is the company, and seeing the children enjoy themselves smile

I am sure that if it was in any way a deal breaker for them, that they would offer to buy and bring a turkey - they could then legitimately take the leftovers home with them too grin

Maybe I'll broach that with them, just in case.

I posted two years ago, when we last had them here, asking if a casserole would be a total no-no, instead of a turkey/chicken.
I was told in no uncertain terms grin grin

myotherusernameisbetter Sun 15-Nov-15 10:44:03

What about a duck? Not much more expensive and feeds 4 so not much leftovers. Never buy a duck crown, they are shit.

GlowWine Sun 15-Nov-15 10:45:35

We're 6 and having

Roast Goose (carrots and parsnips roasted alongside)
Gravy
Red cabbage
Roast potatoes
Bussels and broccoli, both 'plain'

My ILs love it when they come and they would do the Turkey with all trimmings etc if we went to them.

And there will be at least a second meal's worth of leftovers.

PurpleDaisies Sun 15-Nov-15 10:47:01

We're doing chicken as well. I'm not going out of my way to mention it to the il's who are here for Christmas this year. I really don't think it'll ruin their day.

Our dinner will basically be the sand as your but without cauliflower cheese.

Wishful80sMontage Sun 15-Nov-15 10:47:02

This year we'll have a newborn baby in the house so I'm not sure what will end up on the table but its usually
Turkey for dh and dd/others and veggie grills for me
Mash
Roast potatoes
Cauliflower cheese or potato croquettes
Red cabbage
Savoy cabbage
Carrot batons
Peas
Brussels
Pigs in blankets
Gravy for meat eaters,
I have pepper sauce

We never have starters and always have dessert a few hours later after all that!

GloriaHotcakes Sun 15-Nov-15 10:47:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

trixymalixy Sun 15-Nov-15 10:49:41

I would be a bit hmm at being served chicken rather than turkey. I eat roast chicken practically every week, so it wouldn't feel like a special meal. They do taste different. A turkey crown isn't much dearer if at all and just as easy to cook.

trixymalixy Sun 15-Nov-15 10:50:52

Your list of accompaniments looks pretty complete to me.

HuevosRancheros Sun 15-Nov-15 10:51:45

howtorebuild - I could ask mil to bring some sausage stuffing, if she'd rather have that instead of sage/onion/breadcrumb.
I'm already going to ask her to do pigs in blankets smile

Mummypigagain Sun 15-Nov-15 10:53:47

Turkey
With roast potatoes
Neeps (mashed swede)
Carrots in white sauce
Roast parsnips
Skirlie
Pigs in blankets
Brussels sprouts with bacon
Cauliflower cheese
Gravy
We have 8 adults and 3 under 5s this year. Much later in the day we will have a choice of trifle, chocolate gateau or strawberry pavlova. Or all three if you are Dh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now