Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Family (board) game for adults, 7- and 5-year olds

(35 Posts)
HuevosRancheros Fri 13-Nov-15 12:06:45

Following on from threads earlier in the year about boards games, I have bought Quirkle, Dobble and Tantrix for the kids for Christmas.

But I can't help but think that they're a bit... educational. Fun, but still educational. I'd like to get them/us a bit more of a silly, pointless game to play.

Previous hits have been Labyrinth (though we're still not playing it "properly", with strategies, but the kids still love it), Busytown Eye-Spy, and Whatever Next. They love Pop-up Pirates, though are possibly growing out of it a bit by now. But I wouldn't want to play that all afternoon (I am very happy to do so with the other ones I've listed)

Any suggestions for suitable games?
I should add, that whislt I don't mind silly, I can't do gross - any game about snot or dog poo is vetoed wink grin

And nothing as tedious as Snakes & Ladders or <shudder> Ludo, please smile

Thank you flowers

ThisPasadenaHomemaker Fri 13-Nov-15 12:10:02

Cranium.

Tears of mirth. Every single time!

orangepudding Fri 13-Nov-15 12:10:09

Monopoly empire is a great game, also Uno.

ShutUpLegs Fri 13-Nov-15 12:11:20

Mine are that age - we play a lot of Carcassone which we think it fun - and the way we play it makes it silly but it is still a strategy game. (We also have several extensions which help make it interesting).

For total silliness, we like Uno, Pit- Shout it Out, Happy Families (we have the Asterix version). They like Mousetrap which DH and I can't bear and DD1 is a big fan of Yahtzee.

YellowDinosaur Fri 13-Nov-15 12:15:36

What about a cooperative game where you have to work together to win? Forbidden island is great for your kids ages and mine still love it aged 8 and 9.
gamewright.com/gamewright/index.php?section=games&page=game&show=245

CinnamonStar Fri 13-Nov-15 12:20:54

Ooh, watching with interest!

My DC are the same age, and I am planning on getting a family board game or two that is fun for adults too.

My shortlist at the moment is Cluedo, Labyrinth, Bugs in the Kitchen and Camel Up.
Camel Up is quite new, but looks like lots of fun, though I am wondering if it will be a bit too complicated for the younger one, as it involves money.
Bugs in the Kitchen includes Hex bugs, so I think that might go down the best.

Both my DC absolutely LOVE an electronic board game we have called Whoowasit. Again, I worried about the youngest, but in fact you can set the level of difficulty, plus it is collaberative, so you are all working together, so easier to guide the younger players.

Forester1 Fri 13-Nov-15 12:21:52

What a performance by Orchard toys is a good family game.

ajandjjmum Fri 13-Nov-15 12:22:57

I don't know if you can still get it, but 'Frustration' comes out in our house every year!

NigelMolesworth Fri 13-Nov-15 12:29:31

I was going to add What A Performance too

HuevosRancheros Fri 13-Nov-15 12:30:39

Thank you all smile

I think Cranium is a little bit too advanced for the kids atm - their drawing and modelling skills leave a bit to be desired!! But it is definitely one that I look forward to getting when they are a bit older.

I haven't looked into Monopoly Empire, but I admit that normal Monopoly leaves me cold. But I'll have a look smile

I think What a Performance is similar to Whatever Next?, where you have to do silly things, pretend to be/do something. Love it!

Busytown Eye-Spy was a hit last year as it was a team game, ther was no individual winner, just us vs. the pigs! And the pictures are really fun, I love seraching for stuff on the board.

I think Fobidden Island was mentioned on the last thread, but I dismissed it as I thought the kids were too young. But I hadn't realised it was a team game, it is looking promising..

I'll go and search for Frustration.

Thanks smile

HuevosRancheros Fri 13-Nov-15 12:31:22

sorry for the typos blush

YellowDinosaur Fri 13-Nov-15 12:33:53

They're definitely not too young for forbidden island. It's pretty straightforward really although you need to just play and learn as you go rather than getting bogged down reading the rules. Pretty easy to win on the easiest settings too which always worked well for mine!

YellowDinosaur Fri 13-Nov-15 12:34:49

Thanks though to whoever it was who mentioned camel up. It's just been bought because it looks like loads of fun!

ARichVernacular Fri 13-Nov-15 12:37:09

Thanks for the tip off about Tantrix, my game obsessed 7yo will LOVE that!

We have lots of boardgames (see above). Bugs in the Kitchen was a big hit and is easy to play.

ARichVernacular Fri 13-Nov-15 12:44:28

Oh, and last year DH bought the Cat In The Hat 'I can do that!' card game which is quick and silly and good for getting everyone moving smile

HuevosRancheros Fri 13-Nov-15 12:45:07

ARichVernacular - do you have SET?
I contemplated getting it for the kids, but realised I'd just be getting it for me!

I play the daily online game now, keeps me happy smile

HuevosRancheros Fri 13-Nov-15 12:51:20

Cat in the Hat and Bugs in the Kitchen look brilliant!

I shall do more reserach into Forbidden Island, but suspect I will get that too grin

Thanks all smile

wickedwaterwitch Fri 13-Nov-15 12:52:54

This is fun

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4395175.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156%7Ccid:189934165%7Cagid:18091993045%7Ctid:kwd-94833456410%7Ccrid:77627768125%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:9750093886607335916%7Cdvc:t%7Cadp:1o1&gclid=CPyblLy4jckCFVZAGwod6mQFhg

ARichVernacular Fri 13-Nov-15 12:54:32

Ooh, no I don't Huevos but it looks good.

I have a weakness for visual puzzle games (as several months lost to mahjong solitaire/ Zookeeper/ Tetris will attest...)

JonSnowKnowsNowt Fri 13-Nov-15 12:59:26

My 8, 6 and 4yo LOVE playing Junior Monopoly - which also has the advantage of being much shorter than the adult game.

TheLeavesAreTurningBrown Fri 13-Nov-15 13:15:26

Op I know what you mean but dobble is great fun, as is qwirkle.

we hated junior monopoly love normal monopoly.

what about things like operation>

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Fri 13-Nov-15 13:18:19

Not quite a board game but Pass the Pigs is great fun smile

ChipsandGuac Fri 13-Nov-15 13:20:09

Beat the Parents

HuevosRancheros Fri 13-Nov-15 13:26:43

Yay, more research, thank you! smile

TheLeaves - I'm sure the games will be fun (it's a while since I bought them, so can't remember the exact details of them!), but they just look a bit... worthy? Pushy parent-y maybe? Just not out and out fun and silliness for the sake of it.

Oh, the other one I got which is slightly more frivolous, is the Family Scavenger Hunt, you can make it suitable for indoor or outdoor use, you play in teams and have to find the things on the cards... looks fun grin Thought I'd mention it in case people are looking for ideas smile

HuevosRancheros Fri 13-Nov-15 13:27:49

Oh, and Operation, how could I forget that??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now