Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

1 nad 2 yr old, should I bother with seperate gifts or just have one pile to be shared?

(21 Posts)
winchester1 Fri 13-Nov-15 09:31:49

In my head I know a few are more aimed at one child but will bunging it all into one pile be easiest?

And is there a reason to wrapping it all, lots of bits are secondhand so not in boxes which will be annoying to wrap. I'm getting a new toy box anyway so thinking it could just be in there christmas morning.

Father christmas whatever sober ish man we can rope into it will be bringing gifts from family so that stuff will be wrapped either way.

pilates Fri 13-Nov-15 09:34:09

Separate piles and yes to it being wrapped.

Don't be lazy.

Chillywhippet Fri 13-Nov-15 09:38:19

How about the really shared stuff in toy box with big bow on and then a pile each of wrapped stuff?

rudolphistheboss Fri 13-Nov-15 09:40:35

It seems a bit sad that your dc are only one and two and already you are sounding pretty negative about Christmas. I actually think putting a few of the more difficult to wrap toys in the new toy box, maybe with a big bow on the top? Is a good idea as it takes them so long to unwrap everything and they can open the toybox to find the new toys smile

Yes to separate piles, maybe one colour paper for one child and a different one for the other to make it easier for yourself to sort?

ThomasRichard Fri 13-Nov-15 09:44:48

Shared toys in the toy box, individual gifts wrapped.

myotherusernameisbetter Fri 13-Nov-15 09:46:20

I have 13 months between mine - they've always had their separate piles (wrapped) with a 3rd bit in the centre for shared things. If you really don't want to wrap everything, then they should have their own sacks with a few bits wrapped and you could put the things that are definitely to be shared in the toy box between the sacks. Or you could have one set of toys each unwrapped and set out ready to play and the rest wrapped or in the sack.

I know it seems mad because the reality is that they will soon mix in the toys and play with them together, but in the same way as twins, you need to allow them to establish their own identity and have their own things and space or you will be adding up a whole load of resentment in the future.

I tried to keep shared things to a minimum to be honest unless it was something that 2 could play with together without one feeling left out - i.e. one year they got a large garage with a couple of lifts and slopes so they could both get a chance to use the "exciting" features but still play together.

Anyway, it worked for me, mine are teenagers and still get on, they have the same interests but do have their separate things and are respectful of each others stuff.

NahItsOkTa Fri 13-Nov-15 09:47:15

Make the effort, seperate presents for the kids. Otherwise you may set a precedent for yourself and not bother when they're older and that would be, well, mean, frankly. And bung a but of wrapping paper round them.

myotherusernameisbetter Fri 13-Nov-15 09:49:07

I would add, I come from a family with a lot of twins so I have seen what can happen....

AnnaMarlowe Fri 13-Nov-15 10:13:12

We have twins.

they have always had separate piles. Anything joint is wrapped half and half (I use different Christmas paper for each child to avoid name tags)

Jw35 Fri 13-Nov-15 10:32:57

Separately wrapped. If it's so much effort to wrap can I be so rude as to suggest you may have too much for them? My one year old has 4 presents and a few books and a scuttlebug which will be unwrapped blush

Pengweng Fri 13-Nov-15 13:17:26

I have twins and we wrap their stuff in separate paper so they I know which stuff they can open since they can't read yet.

I am however doing them a dressing up closet (old cabinet painted and a rod stuck in it to hand the clothes on) so have bought a few second hand costumes and hats etc which i will put in the closet and put a big bow on it. Any new stuff is wrapped though.

Pengweng Fri 13-Nov-15 13:17:55

*hang

InternalMonologue Fri 13-Nov-15 16:30:21

Do separate piles. Otherwise the 2 year old will think everything is "theirs" (or at least if they're anything like my 2 year old they will hmm )

MTWTFSS Fri 13-Nov-15 16:58:16

Depends 100% on the children.

I have a 3 year old and a 4½ year old and they always share presents smile

winchester1 Fri 13-Nov-15 20:14:54

It is lots of little.things stacking cups, pull along phone, books, ball, puzzles, magnets ect so yep.probably too much but quite cheap (second hand) and nice condition and tbh I'm fed up.of playing with the same few toys all the time.
Think I'll wrap the main things and of course their stockings and then un veil the new toy box with the shared toys later in the day. I'm buying the younger one duplicates of the older's favorite existing toys to avoid the resentment of having to share but I grew up in large family and puzzles, books, dolls, Lego etc was shared and it was fine, tbh I've never given it any thought before.

myotherusernameisbetter Fri 13-Nov-15 20:21:01

Sorry if I wasn't clear, mine had some joint toys given to them both to share. they also had their own toys which again they mostly shared, but they didn't have to share those and when tidying up those went into their own rooms - I never really bought two of the same thing other than bikes/scooters etc. and they would have similar or equivalent things in their piles (e.g. a soft toy, a lego set etc) unless they each had particular things that they wanted that the other didn't , especially as they got older.

winchester1 Fri 13-Nov-15 20:35:47

Oh ok sounds like how it was growing up. It's just the walker, I'm duplicating for now (2yr old still uses his walker daily to be like his nan). There'll be much more too it as they get older I'm sure.

myotherusernameisbetter Fri 13-Nov-15 20:46:12

definitely smile You'll have a fab time - it's hard work but lovely when they are so close and it goes far too fast. I do miss those early Christmases when their eyes were like saucers and they believed in it all. I haven't even really done any shopping yet for mine, I have no lists either as they are reluctant to ask for things now they know that we pay for it which is very sweet but a bit frustrating.

winchester1 Fri 13-Nov-15 20:49:18

My two yr old doesn't get it yet but hopefully next yr, I guess that's why I'm a bit non pulsed by it all this yr.
I remember those yrs of -,what do you want -,nothing really!

winchester1 Fri 13-Nov-15 20:49:57

They sound like nice kids, can I keep you on speed dial for parenting advice!

myotherusernameisbetter Fri 13-Nov-15 21:00:17

Ha ha, feel free, they've had their moments over the years but at 15 and 14 now, I have to say I am thoroughly enjoying them. Teenagers can be really fab <hopes she doesn't regret saying that>.

We aren't a particularly demonstrative family so I don't get loads of hugs etc. But they know that DH and I love them more than anything else on earth and I like to think that at least some of that is reciprocated grin

And on that note I'd better go and head out into the wet and windy night to pick them up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now