Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Main present for a 12yo boy. I'm desperate

(19 Posts)
HamaTime Thu 12-Nov-15 18:29:08

Any ideas?

He already has a tablet and a phone. He isn't bothered about music, not particularly into science or computing stuff, will kick a ball about but not massively sporty. He has a bike/scooter/skateboard already. He likes animals but doesn't agree with keeping animals as pets. He reads, and has asked for books but it's not very main presenty. He likes board games, but again, not really a main present and we've got a million. He has zero interest in clothes or popular culture.

I can't think of anything.

geogteach Thu 12-Nov-15 18:32:09

'Experience' - theatre tickets, tickets to sporting event, go on the velodrome, ticket for shard or similar. As mine have got older we have tended to go down this route

Itsokispeakdumbass Thu 12-Nov-15 18:35:43

Drone
Nerf guns
Watch
Headphones
Turn your smartphone into a projector thingy
Games (Xbox or something)

I8toys Thu 12-Nov-15 18:38:22

It gets so hard when they already have most things - like ipads, xbox etc. Mine has Beats headphones and Top Gear driving experience - 60 mins driving and tour of studio. Numerous xbox games that he wanted.

Chrysanthemum5 Thu 12-Nov-15 18:38:21

We have got ds (11) driving lessons. It's on a local race track and they seem to hold them all over the country.

Pooseyfrumpture Thu 12-Nov-15 18:40:02

A Segway experience?

Build your own robot - Ozbot.

Ragwort Thu 12-Nov-15 18:43:02

Have you actually asked him?

My DS (14) never really wants anything - well, he probably would like an ipad or similar but that's not the sort of present I am prepared to give grin, I don't feel the need to give a 'main' present - he genuinely likes having some money to add to his savings and we give various smaller bits and pieces.

It gets so hard when they already have most things - like ipads, xbox etc - perhaps that's a good reason for not buying everything when they are so young?.

WiryElevator Thu 12-Nov-15 18:44:31

If he's into reading now about a Kindle?

MythologicalPersonage Thu 12-Nov-15 18:44:37

Have a look on the wicked uncle website - there are lots of ideas on there.

HamaTime Thu 12-Nov-15 19:01:22

Thanks all
We have got every console possible hmm courtesy of DP and BIL and none of the dcs are that fussed by them.
He is dc2 of 4 so we do have a lot of 'stuff' already, plus he has 4 cousins within spitting distance, all a similar age and they tend to pool their things.
I've never seen the phone projector thing, that might be good.
Theatre etc is tricky because everyone would end up going, so it's not for 'him' iyswim, plus he isn't too bothered. He went on a school trip to see Charlie and The Chocolate factory in that London and said 'it wasn't as good as the book and the book wasn't even that good'.

An experience would be good, I'll have to have a think about what he would like.

I have asked what he wants, he lists books, which is exactly what I do when anyone asks me what I want hmm
I have a kindle, which I can't quite get away with, and I lent it to him when he was in hospital for a week and he couldn't get away with it either.
He does like money grin

He's a nicer kid than I'm making out, he's just not materialistic.

I looked at Wicked Uncle yesterday, and got stuff for everyone but him. It's a great site.

123Jump Thu 12-Nov-15 19:08:41

DS is 11yo, I'm getting him a plasma ball, Schleich animals (he collects them) Swatch watch. Also a few bits from his fav football team-washbag & t shirt.
What about a 500 or 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle?

cranberryx Thu 12-Nov-15 19:10:26

If he has an Xbox you could get him a years Xbox live membership? Or a voucher for the online store so he can choose his own game.

cranberryx Thu 12-Nov-15 19:11:40

Oh! Just saw he isn't too fussed about games!

Definitely an experience day of some sort?

RiverTam Thu 12-Nov-15 19:12:44

Star Wars stuff. Isn't that what every child of this age will be getting grin?

ALemonyPea Thu 12-Nov-15 19:14:06

Last year DS1 got the Lego Simpsons house, he really loved it. Lego is always a winner here.

ggirl Thu 12-Nov-15 19:15:31

secret sales has go pro camera and accessories for £35 at the moment ..only for another day I think
Ive bought one for ds who is 13 but it may be not the best quality but rrp is £150

Sadik Thu 12-Nov-15 19:15:47

This t-shirt? grin

HamaTime Thu 12-Nov-15 21:09:12

That camera is pretty cool, as is the T-shirt grin

I don't even know if he knows what Star wars is, or the simpsons. When I was at school, Freddie Mercury died and everybody sobbed, except me who said 'who's Freddie Mercury'. He's rather like me, annoyingly.

missmargot Thu 12-Nov-15 21:25:02

Have you had a look on Think a Geek? It's American but they do ship to the UK and it's good for ideas.

How about a monthly subscription for something? These people do a young adult monthly book subscription but I'm not sure what his reading tastes are: www.thewilloughbybookclub.co.uk/young-adult-book-club-216-p.asp

How about an under 17s driving lesson, would he enjoy something like that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now