Talk

Advanced search

christmas cookery

(18 Posts)
Likeaninjanow Thu 12-Nov-15 08:00:54

I'm hosting christmas this year, and am working full time until 23rd. I'd like the food on the day to be home made as much as possible, so looking for ideas as to what I can make over the next few weekends, and freeze.

I'm thinking sausage rolls, mini pork pies to serve with halved with chutney etc. any ideas?

On the day itself I'm ridiculously excited to be buying a hostess trolly (how times have changed) to take some stress out of the day. I do Christmas every year, usually for 8 people, but there will be 10 this year & I'm working nearer to the 25th than usual!

DonkeyOaty Thu 12-Nov-15 08:37:27

Delia's red cabbage freezes well

senua Thu 12-Nov-15 08:44:48

Mince pies freeze well and take moments to defrost in the microwave (but take care, they can be mouth-scorching hot if you cook rather than defrost).

You can do your pigs in blankets now.

senua Thu 12-Nov-15 08:47:56

And stuffing, if sausagemeat is in the shops yet (why is it only at Christmassad). I do my stuffing in individual meatball-sized pieces, I don't stuff the bird because that just extends the cooking time.

Likeaninjanow Thu 12-Nov-15 09:49:31

Great ideas, thank you! Red cabbage looks delicious & would be impressive to whip out on the day.

Loving the idea of homemade mince pies. At least if I make & freeze now, there's less chance of me eating THEM ALL.

I honestly never thought of making stuffing in advance - will definitely do that!

senua Thu 12-Nov-15 10:00:30

I love red cabbage done like that. It improves with maturity so definitely will not come to any harm in the freezer. It's a bit of a faff so I do a whole cabbage-head at a time and freeze in portions in chinese-takeaway boxes.
I do John Tovey's recipe which includes orange rind, caraway seeds, thyme and red wine.

FondantFancy66 Thu 12-Nov-15 11:18:27

Homemade cranberry sauce freezes well.

Likeaninjanow Thu 12-Nov-15 11:54:01

Brilliant, thanks! I'm thinking of doing a variety of nibbly things to pass round instead of a starter before the soup? I thought maybe Parmesan, pastry lolly swirls, the mini pork pies, and salmon & cream cheese blinis. Do you think hat would work?

There is a slight risk my dad might die of shock when he realises there's no pare & oatcakes however...

Likeaninjanow Thu 12-Nov-15 11:54:25

Pate!

Lilymaid Thu 12-Nov-15 12:06:37

Delia's sausage rolls are fabulous (especially if you make the pastry with all butter). You can cook them in advance, or freeze them ready to bake.

Likeaninjanow Thu 12-Nov-15 12:10:37

Thanks Lilymaid! Apologies for a stupid question, but can I bake them & then freeze? <clueless>

mrsdavegrohl Thu 12-Nov-15 12:51:26

I usually make and freeze my Christmas soup in November.
I hadn't realised that the red cabbage recipe was freezable so i will definitely be doing that in advance this year!
I'm having ten for dinner but lovely MIL is bringing the turkey cooked as I have no oven so glad i don't need to worry about the meat

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 12-Nov-15 12:53:40

Bread sauce and cranberry sauce

Likeaninjanow Thu 12-Nov-15 13:49:02

Can I freeze bread sauce? Itsmy brother's favourite, so that would be great!!

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 12-Nov-15 14:28:38

Yes, reheat gently with a splash of milk, splash of cream and knob of butter, it's my favourite too

Lilymaid Thu 12-Nov-15 15:17:54

* but can I bake them & then freeze?*
Yes - or just freeze them before baking, either works!

cashmerecardigans Thu 12-Nov-15 18:28:51

Jamie's get ahead gravy is just amazing. I've done it the last few years - make early and freeze

Likeaninjanow Thu 12-Nov-15 22:27:02

Great ideas, thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now