Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone recommend a decent marble run?

(12 Posts)
Evianbaby15 Wed 11-Nov-15 20:30:55

Have seen a few on Amazon but not sure how good they will be and don't want a disappointed dc on Xmas morning

Saukko Wed 11-Nov-15 21:34:37

We have this one:
totsandtiddlerstoys.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=364

Which has been brilliant. About 3 years now and he's still asking for 'marble run pieces' for Christmas. With it being so simple, he's been able to construct with it for a long time and his little sister (just turned 3) can handle it too. He was bought a plastic one by a relative sometime later and they do get it out occasionally but never for long - the pieces can only fit one way, Slot A into Slot B, and they have to really wrench and wrestle the sockets together. The wooden one is just placing blocks on top of one another - no frustration!

Even better is it can join up with other wooden sets. We got him one from Aldi as an add-on and though the pieces are smaller, he just figures out how they will fit to ensure a smooth run.

There are loads of types now - even Bigjigs have another sort - but I'd say the simple wooden ones are great because they are so easy for kids to make, whereas some of the plastic ones can involve a bit of fiddling about.

zipzap Wed 11-Nov-15 21:41:51

They had a brilliant looking one in Costco last christmas that ds2 wanted - and by the time I decided that he did really want it (as he kept mentioning it, rather than it just being seen and forgotten) it had sold out by the time I got back there to buy it sad

So, this year, as it has still been mentioned, I thought I'd get it early. But they've changed it this year and it doesn't look anywhere near as solid, easy or flexible (ie change to do lots of different routes) and although it has 'glow in the dark planets' on it, it turns out that these are just bits of laminated thin card that are poked onto plastic bits that look like they will soon rip or be lost. So another year of looking out for one - will watch this thread with interest...

christmasmum Wed 11-Nov-15 21:50:44

We have one like this Amazon which is great, doesn't collapse when you brush against it like some of the wooden ones.

TheSkiingGardener Wed 11-Nov-15 21:52:15

The GALT ones are superb. We have 2 sets and friends have them too and we all love them

LexLoofah Wed 11-Nov-15 21:52:21

christmas we have the same one, v good

thegiddylimit Wed 11-Nov-15 21:53:06

We have a Quadrilla marble run. It's fab, completely addictive even as an adult and makes the loveliest sounds (and we don't even have the musical version).

Borka Wed 11-Nov-15 22:13:27

We have two different Marbulous sets, which are very similar to the Galt ones, and they're brilliant. DS started off with a smallish set when he was 4 and asked for a larger set to add to it for his 7th birthday recently.

This is the large one - currently out of stock from Fun Learning where I bought it but I think you can get them on amazon.

GraceK Wed 11-Nov-15 22:20:05

We've had an Early Learning One for about 3 years & it's still used. They even supplied us with extra marbles via their spares page when the first batch got lost under the cooker!

Bimblywibble Wed 11-Nov-15 22:23:47

Another vote for the GALT mega one. It builds really strong structures easily and is very forgiving with gravity-defying, child-designed towers, plus lots of special pieces.

May09Bump Wed 11-Nov-15 22:25:13

Galt - hands down wins.

Evianbaby15 Thu 12-Nov-15 21:25:09

Just ordered the galt mega one from Amazon - thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now