Talk

Advanced search

cooking turkey questions

(4 Posts)
Woolleymammoth Wed 11-Nov-15 13:56:27

I've never cooked a turkey before but we are hosting Xmas this year....

6 adults
2 teenagers
3 children

What size turkey would you get and what temperature and for how long would you cook it?

Thanks!!

GeekyQueen Wed 11-Nov-15 15:44:33

I seem to remember from last year that the general advice is 500g per person which gives enough for leftovers.

So I suppose it depends on how much the teenagers and children eat, and how much you want left for boxing day, pies etc.

Maybe a 4.5/5kg bird?

We had 3kg last year for 6 adults and 2 toddlers, which was plenty.

I use Nigella's cooking times, which are much shorter than everywhere else but they're spot on in my opinion.

www.nigella.com/recipes/view/spiced-and-superjuicy-roast-turkey

Timings are at the bottom.

haggisaggis Wed 11-Nov-15 16:03:32

The Kelly Bronze site suggests 500 g per person to allow for Christmas dinner and a sandwich with leftovers after. However it really depends on how much you want left over. We get a 6 kg bird and there are only 4 of us..
I brine ours as per Nigella - and use her timings. A free range, brined, turkey takes far less time to cook than you would expect. Ours last year took under 2 hours. I always use a digital thermometer to check the temperature of the turkey - it's cooked at around 65 - 70 deg c.

Woolleymammoth Wed 11-Nov-15 20:18:46

Great thank you, that's really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now