Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Raspberry pi

(7 Posts)
frazzled74 Tue 10-Nov-15 23:45:42

Can somebody please explain to me what this is? What age is it aimed at and what would I need to buy if I decided to buy one for ds ?

rednsparkley Tue 10-Nov-15 23:52:30

Have a look here - should help you. we have RP in the sparkly household and everyone but me seems to know what it is

www.raspberrypi.org/

frazzled74 Wed 11-Nov-15 20:37:46

Thank you, are they easy to use though? Would a 9 year old know what to do with it?

GardeningWithDynamite Wed 11-Nov-15 21:13:05

We have a Kano (won it on here), which is powered by a Raspberry pi. Found it a lot more child friendly in that it explains how you build the computer and has some software that comes with it.

We also have a Raspberry pi (well, ok 3 of them - different versions). The biggest problem we had was that you get used to using a modern full powered computer and the pi is just so much slower. If you want to do a robot kit or something that actually involves using the pins on the pi then it's probably worth it. Other than that you can get things like Scratch/linux for PCs with less frustration.

GerrardWinstanley Wed 11-Nov-15 21:14:16

Does this site help? Our 8yo is getting one of these - called a Kano. It's a kit with the raspberry pi, all the compatible bits, book, apps and access to an online community who will be able to help her with questions far more than I can.

You can use a tv or any old monitor as the screen.

GerrardWinstanley Wed 11-Nov-15 21:15:01

Cross post grin

frazzled74 Wed 11-Nov-15 22:11:40

Ah thank you, that looks great, I think he would love a Kano.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now