Talk

Advanced search

What on earth do I buy DS2 who has all of DS1s toys to play with?

(9 Posts)
ilovetosleep Tue 10-Nov-15 13:38:10

He's 18 months, DS1 is 4.5. He's not spoilt, but he has a good amount of toys and 4 sets of doting grandparents who like to buy him the odd thing throughout the year and splash out a bit at christmas. We try to balance that by not buying anything apart from Christmas and birthdays.

Anyway, we kept all of the baby and toddler toys for DS 2 but he isn't interested in the slightest. He just wants to play with DS1s toys - Star wars lego, playmobil, octonauts or thunderbirds. I occasionally get 10 mins play out of a bit of happyland but generally speaking if it isn't his brothers, he doesn't want to know. (DS1 gets upset when he breaks up his lego, understandably)

I just don't know what to get DS2 for christmas that won't be a complete waste of money. I'm also hoping that once he gets a little older he'll be more inclined to play on his own with more age appropriate toys. DS1 is getting a Gup, some lego sets and a kidizoom camera for christmas, and maybe a marble run. And the usual books and pjs etc.

So far DS2 is getting some pjs. I know he'll go mad for the camera, maybe I should get them one each? Got a good deal on amazon but I bet its gone up a again.

He loves animals more than anything but he isn't getting a pet!

He loves looking at superheroes in the shops. was thinking a couple of superhero figures but seems a bit old for him and DS1 isn't even into superheroes much yet.

Oh and sort of in between their ages, waiting to be rediscovered, we have a bag of wooden train stuff, some duplo, loads of match box type cars, and a whole happyland village. So I can't re purchase any of that stuff.

Help!

MTWTFSS Tue 10-Nov-15 13:59:31

I would buy a regular Playmobil animal set, and just take out the teeny bits it comes with.

Barn with Silo (Product No.: 5119) looks good smile

Remember: There is a Playmobil code floating around on one of the bargain thread.

Avebury Tue 10-Nov-15 16:28:17

I'd probably buy him a gup too then what about a pretend pet - a Lucy the dog or something. There must be a cheaper equivalent that could be his 'pet'. Tricky about the camera too. I'd probably buy two because he will grow into it and it will save you stress over the Christmas period.

Misty9 Tue 10-Nov-15 22:36:13

I feel your pain - dd is 18 months and just likes playing with her 4yo brothers toys. She knows all the Octonauts characters by name <proud> grin
She also loves animals much to our cat's shock! and I've got her the playmobil large farm after dithering for ages. She likes small world play and it has great reviews.

I would say though , they both love playing with the wooden railway set and duplo, so maybe just wrap those?! Your youngest won't care/mind I'm sure. You could always supplement it with one of the creative duplo sets as they get good reviews. Whatever I get dd she'll want to nab her brother's toys, but vice versa too!

Misty9 Tue 10-Nov-15 22:37:02

Playmobil 123 I should have put.

cantgonofurther Wed 11-Nov-15 10:03:11

I am not getting my dc3 any big presents as we have lots from dd2. Everything you would buy for a one year old.

I will do him a stocking with small bits and wrap up some books etc. I will buy him bigger presents when he has his own interests.

ilovetosleep Wed 11-Nov-15 11:17:27

Thanks for the ideas. I know I don't need to get him much, and that he won't care, but it just doesn't feel right and als oI want DS1 to know that it isn't all about him! I think buying him a Gup is a great idea - I actually asked DS1 this morning which one we should put on DS2s list and he got all excited about one of those massive new ones - he obviously realises he'll get to play with it too! Also spotted a second hand bargainous playmobil 123 noahs ark on a local fb page and have got that for him too. So he won't be present less! I am now just dithering over the camera...

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Wed 11-Nov-15 12:12:41

i would buy the camera - if u are worried about the cost why no buy one on ebay for less, then not so bad if he drops it!

my dd was and still is the same - she wants all her sisters toys and tbh i just bought her what i thought she would like regardless of the age on the box.

my dd2 actually sounds pretty similar to your ds she loves superheros, we got her the playskool marvel figures. nice and chunky and pretty indestructable with no small parts. She also loves animals, she has a little pet carrier with cuddly toy inside which she loves carrying around. her favourite programme at the moment is paw patrol with little dogs in, maybe try your ds watching it? theres quite a bit of toddler proof merchandise out for it aswell!!

ilovetosleep Wed 11-Nov-15 12:26:37

He LOVES paw patrol! They both do actually. We have a couple of the little pups. Also totally forgot that more age appropriately he completely adores gruffalo so I can look for some gruffalo things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now