Talk

Advanced search

Present ideas for 12 yr old who loves electronics/making things that work/motors etc

(18 Posts)

DD is 12 and very into all of the above. I've considered a Raspberry Pi but think she would get more out of something with moving parts and a bit more visible/instant results just now. It's on the shortlist for her 13th birthday in spring though.

I'm looking at some electronics kits, mostly the John Adams Hot Wires. But thought I'd appeal to MN for ideas I might be missing or don't know about!

Budget up to £50 but preferably more like £30.

TIA flowers

Tuiles Tue 10-Nov-15 09:14:41

There are some working models of combustion engines by Airfix or Haynes which look pretty cool, thinking of one for my six year old and DH to do as a project.

TheSpottedZebra Tue 10-Nov-15 10:37:27

Also, a book on coding/ membership to coding club. Ok not moving parts, but hey.

attheendoftheday Tue 10-Nov-15 13:25:24

An arduino. Still for coding, but easier to set up with moving parts.

Doughnutsandflapjacks33 Tue 10-Nov-15 16:28:16

Lego technics?

WoodHeaven Tue 10-Nov-15 16:38:56

Marking place as this would really interest dc1 too (and I never thought about it until seen the thread. So THANK YOU little)

ouryve Tue 10-Nov-15 16:44:12

I've ordered mine a Da Vinci Clock. The instructions are rubbish (in Korean!) but it looks good fun to put together and set going.

Clueing4looks Tue 10-Nov-15 17:17:30

I bought my son a Haynes build your own working radio kit. It's says it's an advent calender but I'm giving it to him as a present. It was only £20 and has got good reviews

Hmmm some good ideas, thanks! I'm still liking the kits that can make various things more than the specific sets.

What is coding club? Is it a place or an online thing?

And Arduino - is this like like a raspberry pi? What's the difference, is it better for a child?

Chasingsquirrels Tue 10-Nov-15 17:28:26

Build your own robot arm - Maplin do one, www.maplin.co.uk/p/usb-controlled-robotic-arm-kit-a37jn?gclid=CL3juaawhskCFUe3GwodlbwBww

Chasingsquirrels Tue 10-Nov-15 17:29:31

With the usb robot arm, rather than the controller one, you can the connect to a PC/pi and use that as the controller.

Chasingsquirrels Tue 10-Nov-15 17:31:33

Also the 5 in 1 (or more, I've just googled and seen a 14) solar powered robot kits are good, although better in summer sun than winter sun!

Chasingsquirrels Tue 10-Nov-15 17:33:21

I git a Cambridge university electronics kit (similar to hot wires) for ds1 when he was 6 or 7, both my boys have enjoyed. It but I'm not sure it would hold ds1's attention now at 13 tbh.

iklboo Tue 10-Nov-15 17:37:17

Lego technic is good. You can usually make 2 things with one kit. DS also makes his own stuff with the bits & power packs.

fuzzpig Tue 10-Nov-15 17:38:37

'Makey Makey' is supposed to be good, not tried it myself though.

iwantanewcar Tue 10-Nov-15 18:41:52

following with interest. DC really enjoyed this - Haynes models.

SpitSpot Tue 10-Nov-15 19:30:13

DS loved this electronics set, I think he had it when he was 11. It might not have enough building in it for you as it snaps together but you can make lots of different combinations of circuits www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00008BFZH?keywords=electronics%20kit&qid=1447182444&ref_=sr_1_6&s=kids&sr=1-6

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now