Talk

Advanced search

gifts for the elderly

(11 Posts)
MrsOs Tue 10-Nov-15 08:00:34

in my local community I am organising the giving of gift bags for the elderly at the local hospital and elderly people being supported to live at home. I am also hoping to help those in care homes that don't receive visitors. so far suggested gifts I have are soap, shower gel, body lotion, hand cream, chocolate, biscuits, boiled sweets, socks, slipper socks, hot water bottle, books possibly with pictures from yester year, puzzle books, nice box of tissues

how about room fragrances? looking for additions to the list please.

I appreciate that some of these things will be unsuitable for some and we will do our best to match appropriate things to people. I just want to give people an idea of things to buy x

Pengweng Tue 10-Nov-15 09:09:08

Some nice cordial or nice tea/coffee? Warm fleece throws (bit on the expensive side but i know lots of shops have them for just a few quid). Hand warmers?

happsymum Tue 10-Nov-15 09:09:17

Plant
Cross stitch setsg
Dressing gowns
Slippers
Puzzle
Fast

happsymum Tue 10-Nov-15 09:17:25

Flask not fast smile

MrsOs Tue 10-Nov-15 09:33:24

can you tell me why the thermos flasks are good for the elderly

MrsOs Tue 10-Nov-15 09:35:13

what do you think of idea of a picture book from 30s 40s...

jopickles Tue 10-Nov-15 09:37:32

scarves, gloves and hats are always a good plan, small jars of coffee, tea bags, tins of food (small tins) as a lot of people on their own don't like to have big jars and tins as its often a waste I know they aren't gifty as such but they are always useful. we are doing shoe boxes for help the aged and I have popped in little mini Christmas puddings etc

putputput Tue 10-Nov-15 09:41:46

Flask means they don't have to get up more than once to make a cup of tea.
Hand cream
Magnifying light
Crossword book
Magazine subscription- garden ones/national geographic
Warm, comfy socks
Nice tea bags
Biscuits
DVDs- Documentary ones like David Attenborough or classic films

MrsOs Tue 10-Nov-15 09:47:44

What about fruit cake?

Boysclothes Tue 10-Nov-15 11:08:05

Little jams/honeys.... Can often get in John Lewis or similar. My nan loved these as she loved different jams but didn't want lots of full sized ones going off in the fridge. Also nice writing paper and stamps.

MrsOs Tue 10-Nov-15 11:39:14

Love the little jams idea..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now