Talk

Advanced search

Present for my sister

(14 Posts)
VenusInFauxFurs Mon 09-Nov-15 00:47:08

OK, this is a birthday present rather than a Christmas present. But I figure you guys are ALL ABOUT THE PRESENTS. So I am posting it here.

My older sister is all kinds of posher and classier than me. Her house is beautiful. I am not being snarky, by the way. She's great.

She loves scented candles, home-furnishy stuff and jewellery. She's super fit and does loads of weight-lifting. She's very health conscious so chocolates and stuff are out.

If I could afford it, I'd buy her a Jo Malone candle but I can't afford £42 for a candle.

I have a budget of about £15-£20. Any suggestions? What's cool these days? What are Gwyneth Paltrow-ish Yummy Mummies into these days?

I love shopping for my sister. I'll probably just wander round town until I find something I like the look of. It's just very different from my birthday wishlist which would include things like a measuring jug and a ladle.

Any suggestions appreciated!

BlueStarsAtNight Mon 09-Nov-15 01:11:50

How about a fruit infuser water bottle? www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00JLIX39W/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1447031335&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=fruit+infuser+water+bottle&dpPl=1&dpID=51zzLGbhpzL&ref=plSrch

VenusInFauxFurs Mon 09-Nov-15 01:21:59

Ooh, thank you, BlueStars. That's exactly the sort of thing she would like.

LadyB49 Mon 09-Nov-15 01:24:52

I got Orla Kealy stick oil fresheners yesterday in TK Maxx £20 down to £9.

canto3 Mon 09-Nov-15 06:41:40

A spiralizer?

HoggleHoggle Mon 09-Nov-15 06:52:10

Jo Malone do a lovely gift boxed bath oil for about £17 I think. It's my go to gift! (I can't afford the candle prices either!)

There are a few different fragrances in John Lewis.

ink{http://www.johnlewis.com/jo-malone-london-english-pear-freesia-bath-oil/p2003221?sku=234483640&kpid=234483640&s\www.johnlewis.com/jo-malone-london-english-pear-freesia-bath-oil/p2003221?sku=234483640&kpid=234483640&]]s}kenid=791efb75-807c-4bfb-9eb5-e539f175c7ca&ss_kwcid=403x474181&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 09-Nov-15 07:05:52

Yankee candle advent for £20 in Boots or two tubes of Yankee candle wax melts £15.99 each but in the three for two so if you could combine with another £16 thing in boots as another present would work out at just over £20.

happymummy86 Mon 09-Nov-15 15:59:51

If you want to surprise her, maybe go for serene surprises box. I just received mine and I'm so impressed that i can't stop going on about it. Also it's within your budget.
Here's the link.. www.serenesurprises.com/

MeMyElfandI Mon 09-Nov-15 19:29:23

Happy can I ask what was in the Serene box, I wondering if it would be a good present for my 25yr old niece. Was it the November box you got? Thanks

happymummy86 Mon 09-Nov-15 19:49:45

I got 3 conscious skincare items, including a bath soak, body oil, and body lotion. Also a lavender scented candle from northumbrian candles.. never heard of them before but love it! and hot chocolate discs that melt in a cup when hot milk is poured on them, from montezumas. and a chocolate heart from montezumas. So quite a lot in there, and none of them were samples, most were full sized. It was the october box as I signed up on the last day of the month. Hope that helps!

MrsMolesworth Mon 09-Nov-15 19:54:16

The White Company do a gorgeous candle with inlaid cinnamon sticks and orange - perfect for scenting the house at Christmas and it's only £20.

Or Paddywax does a really amazing basil and cucumber candle for £15 at John Lewis.

They are my wish list posh scented candles.

MeMyElfandI Mon 09-Nov-15 20:34:33

Happy, thanks for that, I think I will order one.

VenusInFauxFurs Sun 15-Nov-15 22:21:42

Thanks MisForMumNotMaid for the suggestion of the Yankee Candle Advent Calendar. I had no idea such a thing existed before you mentioned it.

I bought one for my sister and went slightly over budget because I also bought a star-shaped tea-light holder from Marks. I gave it to her today and she seemed absolutely delighted. As were her daughters. Nieces were all "Yay! Now you have an advent calendar LIKE US!" My sister joked that I may have started something and now I have to get her one every year. smile

So, thanks MisForMum and MumsNet in general. I'm now going to come to you with all my present-buying questions, you rock!

As a side note, I was amused to see that there were warnings on the packaging, telling buyers NOT to try to light the tea-lights while they were still inside the advent calendar packaging and to remove them to a suitable tea-light burning receptacle. It's good to know that they're warning people AGAINST setting fire to candles encased in cardboard and plastic packaging in very close proximity to a bunch of other candles. People SHOULD be told. smile

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 16-Nov-15 13:08:52

Glad the advent idea went down well. I too have a lovely affluent elder sister with a November birthday. I can't begin to compete with her friendship circle who spend hundreds on each others presents and treat trips out so try to go from the fun gift wouldn't buy it for yourslf angle.

I'm eying up a beauty advent calendar for next year. They're a good deal to start with often £100plus of stuff for less than half individual retail, last year they got heavily reduced mid December so for £15-20 you can get over £100 worth of stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now