Talk

Advanced search

Alone at Christmas.

(6 Posts)
DrewByDesign Sun 08-Nov-15 23:35:54

So this Christmas will be the second time I'll be alone.
Last year I had a girlfriend but she went home for Christmas and asked me not to be there, who'd of guessed we'd break up hey?

I didn't think I'd be that bothered, I'm not very Christmassy or social but the fact I'll be on my own has kind of hit me. I've tried to make a plan, clean, go for walks, volunteer but it'll still be quiet when I get home.
It's also getting strange at work with people asking 'What are you doing for Christmas?' And I answer 'Nothing.'

Is anyone else on there own? Do you have any plans to make it pass by a little faster?

ThomasRichard Sun 08-Nov-15 23:40:15

I'll be on my own next year. My plan is to have an amazing lie-in, go to church, volunteer over the lunchtime/afternoon period and then read a book in bed while eating a lot of chocolate.

Can't wait. The only problem is my family, who will no doubt be feeling sorry for me. No need!

timelytess Sun 08-Nov-15 23:40:35

Just do things you like. Television, films, food, all to your personal taste. Christmases have been a few hours here and there for me for years, decades in fact. Its all ok.

wigglylines Sun 08-Nov-15 23:42:51

So are you volunteering during the day? That sounds like a great idea.

When you get home you need a treat. Some really nice food maybe - or a film? What do you like?

The answer isn't "nothing" by the way if you're volunteering. It'd mean a lot to the people you'd be helping.

RB68 Sun 08-Nov-15 23:59:53

my answer in the past has been bloody nothing - it will be marvelous

Xenadog Mon 09-Nov-15 07:42:04

The worst thing about Christmas Day alone is everyone wants to include you in their day and usually feel sorry for the person alone. I would tell everyone you're doing some volunteering with friends (as most likely you will make new friends on the day) and leave it at that. Build in some nice things for you as well as the volunteering and just get on with it. Providing you plan and are pro-active you should have a really good time.

One of my favourite Christmases ever was when I spent Christmas Day and Boxing Day helping at a homeless shelter. It was good fun and humbling - I really got the Christmas message there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: