Talk

Advanced search

Chess for a 6 year old

(4 Posts)
Bimblywibble Sun 08-Nov-15 19:32:33

My Y2 knows the chess moves and is interested in playing more, but he doesn't have anyone to play with really. Obviously I can play with him, but I'm really rubbish and I don't think it's very helpful or fun.

What's the best way forward? Is it worth getting one of those electronic chess toys with a tutor/puzzle function? It seems like old tech these days, but apps don't have the feel of the pieces. Or would a book be better? Trouble is, it wouldn't give him anyone to play against.

He is bright and a decent reader, but also still 6.

insan1tyscartching Sun 08-Nov-15 21:21:43

I taught ds (who is now an adult) to play chess. He was regularly beating me aged five so I bought him one of those electronic chess toys. He loved it and was playing for the County by aged 8. I think it's very useful for them to be able to see and touch the pieces when they are small. Nowadays of course he plays online.

krisskross Mon 09-Nov-15 09:36:27

Interesting.... My ds is interested in chess..can anyone link to an age appropriate electronic game? I didn't know such a thing existed!! X

Bimblywibble Mon 09-Nov-15 09:53:32

Wow Insan1ty, well done him. Thank you. I'm thinking a game AND a book is not OTT. I don't think there is anywhere for him to play other children round here, which is a shame.

Trouble is a lot of the games seem to be out of stock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now