Talk

Advanced search

Jar mixes - would you want to receive or would you think wtf?

(151 Posts)
backonthewagon Sat 07-Nov-15 20:33:23

I was thinking of doing muffin or brownie jar mixes where you have to add an egg or candy cane hot choc in a jar. Be honest if you would hate something like this!

BrianButterfield Sat 07-Nov-15 20:37:23

It would be kind of wasted on me as I bake anyway, but I would use it with the kids and appreciate the thought.

ShatnersBassoon Sat 07-Nov-15 20:38:28

I hate things like this. To me they're a chore rather than a present. I love baking, but I don't want someone else to sort out the ingredients for a recipe they've chosen. It knocks the fun out of baking, having no choice.

LeaveMyWingsBehindMe Sat 07-Nov-15 20:39:26

I find them a really odd gift to be honest. People are completely capable of weighing out their own flour and sugar etc if they want to make such a thing, and who needs the jar? confused

ShatnersBassoon Sat 07-Nov-15 20:39:46

Hate is too strong actually. I just wouldn't be thrilled with it. I'd rather have some homemade jam or mince pies or whatever.

Every1KnowsJeffTheJerkOlantern Sat 07-Nov-15 20:39:59

I received one when I got married and must be honest, I threw the contents away in the end. I thought it was a nice enough idea but in truth, it went in the cupboard and I never got round to bothering with it.

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sat 07-Nov-15 20:40:11

i wouldn't like it
i do bake, but I bake what I want to, when I want to

actual homemade muffins or brownies however would be very welcome.

ImperialBlether Sat 07-Nov-15 20:40:23

Sorry, I wouldn't like it.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 07-Nov-15 20:41:25

To me they're a chore rather than a present. I have to do all the cooking and washing up but don't get to choose what I want... No thanks.

If you actually make something, that's different.

HolgerDanske Sat 07-Nov-15 20:42:11

Yeah I'm afraid I feel they're a bit pointless.

I really would honestly rather not have anything than someone go to the trouble and expense of making up cake mixes for me just because they feel obliged to give me a gift. If I want a cake mix I can pick one up for £2.50.

ClaireSW32 Sat 07-Nov-15 20:43:23

I think the kids would like it but I'd see it as an obligation rather than a gift if I'm honest. We have allergies in the house too, so I'd be nervous of anything I couldn't check the ingredients and allergy warning label for.

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 07-Nov-15 20:44:51

I assume "jar mix" is an upgraded version of a "packet mix"? I would be insulted that you thought I might like this. I might have to regift it to you next Christmas grin.

LeaveMyWingsBehindMe Sat 07-Nov-15 20:45:02

I agree I'd rather have the gift ready made by you than feeling an obligation to then make it myself.

CarriesBucketOfBlood Sat 07-Nov-15 20:45:26

The recipient either enjoys baking or not. If they enjoy baking, they are likely to want to make things according to their own recipe or simply enjoy doing the weighing, choosing ingredients thing that your present doesn't provide.

If they don't like baking, are they really likely to use it?

I must admit, I would likely bin it. I would appreciate the sentiment, but only in a 'that was really nice of XXX to get me a present'. Not in a 'What a lovely idea that had lots of thought put into it'. For some reason it seems quite impersonal.

DancingDinosaur Sat 07-Nov-15 20:46:54

No thanks.

BikeRunSki Sat 07-Nov-15 20:46:56

I'd be a bit hmm. Do you essentially mean just a jar of flour and sugar, maybe some chocolate?

expatinscotland Sat 07-Nov-15 20:50:02

I'd rather just give someone a box of biscuits, tbh.

ShatnersBassoon Sat 07-Nov-15 20:50:29

Yes,it's usually all the dry ingredients needed to make something, layered up in a Kilner jar, with a tag attached giving instructions of what to add and do to it to make it into something edible. They can look very pretty, but ultimately it's a job that needs doing just to prove you're not ungrateful.

JasperDamerel Sat 07-Nov-15 20:56:17

Hot chocolate mix (if it was nice stuff, not just repackaged drinking chocolate), maybe with some gold sparkly bits, in a pretty mug with some mini marshmallows and maybe a candy cane would be welcome. Cake mix in a jar wouldn't.

mammuzzamia Sat 07-Nov-15 21:00:23

Depend on who gave it to me as to the wtf. But on the whole I'd certainly smile graciously and then dispose of/recycle it. Same for most other ready made edible gifts I'm afraid.

Duckdeamon Sat 07-Nov-15 21:01:33

If by candy cane hot choc you mean minty hot choc, that's a niche taste (I like it but am in the minority).

I dislike any gifts that require the receiver's time and effort! So this kind of thing, craft stuff for DC requiring adult supervision etc.

I would, however, love to recieve homemade stuff!

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sat 07-Nov-15 21:03:24

I bake a lot anyway and it does rather take the fun out of it, and deskills it for the DCs. Maybe it would be nice for someone who uses packet mixes though.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sat 07-Nov-15 21:06:27

Oh and I love hot chocolate but not with added flavours and definitely not with mint which I hate. Candy canes are fine as decorations but not as ingredients.

StickyProblem Sat 07-Nov-15 21:13:44

I never heard of this before. I think it's really patronising, it says "look what an earth mother I am and look what a lazy packet baker you are". Sorry OP! I'm sure you don't mean it that way but that's how I'd interpret it if someone gave one to me. Which they won't!

Savagebeauty Sat 07-Nov-15 21:14:32

No. I'd hate it. And bin it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now