Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

does anyone else have this for Christmas morning breakfast?

(66 Posts)
milkmilklemonade12 Sat 07-Nov-15 17:49:11

Train of thought started up again by another thread...

Our Christmas Day breakfast consists of pork pie (a really nice one), cheese, crackers, pickles, then warm mince pies and a tot of something. Literally first thing we do.

Now, this was normal throughout my childhood, you'd go to my Nan's and other people in my family (all my nan's kids admittedly) and it'd be the same.

Fast forward a few years and it's mine and DH's first Christmas together and he was genuinely shocked to the core when I unveiled this little lot fgrin

Mum says it's a midland thing, and that both my Nan and Grandad's parents did it.

Can anyone shed light on this? Do you do this? Is it a Midland thing? Do you have Christmas food no one else seems to know about?

cheapandcheerful Sat 07-Nov-15 17:50:37

I had an ex whose family did this. Brummie through-and-through grin

ShowOfBloodyStumps Sat 07-Nov-15 17:53:01

I'm from Derby and nobody in my family does this.

We have different things all years. I know lots of people who have salmon, bagels, scrambled eggs and a drink of alcohol.

Loula117 Sat 07-Nov-15 17:57:32

No but sounds good assuming you don't have children who've made breakfast necessary at 5am! Our house was always Bucks Fizz and toast and marmalade (OJ for children obviously), we've kept the toast and homemade marmalade bit, but ditched the champagne at the crack of dawn. My dad is obviously more hardcore than me, but it was particularly hard to face acidic fizz when it's still dark outside and you've been up doing night feeds.

SummerHouse Sat 07-Nov-15 18:03:38

Excellent thread may I say!

I am from east midlands and never heard the like of it. Sounds lovely though so I would be game.

My DP's nan was Austrian so on Christmas eve we always follow a tradition of thiers of breaded fried fish, potato salad and cucumber in vinegar and dill. Sounds rubbish I first thought but its all home made and lovely.

GloriaHotcakes Sat 07-Nov-15 18:04:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

clary Sat 07-Nov-15 18:06:41

DH always wants pork pie for breakfast on Chr day. I buy on from the naice butcher's and I eat it, but not at breakfast-time, totally not a thing in my childhood.

DH is from Lincoln; I am from South Lincs so we are both East Midlanders. Not sure where that takes us!

milkmilklemonade12 Sat 07-Nov-15 18:11:06

See this is it; my dad's family come from a different part of the midlands. I caught up with a cousin on facebook and mentioned it like 'haha you know what I'm talkin' about' <nudge nudge> and she was quite perplexed!

My uncle (one of my nan's children) is convinced the whole thing is a made up tradition to soak up the vast quantity of alcohol!

howtorebuild Sat 07-Nov-15 18:13:04

No. I read another thread and it seems a regional thing. We have warm croissants and coffee.

Doraydiego Sat 07-Nov-15 18:43:31

That is the weirdest breakfast ever! But I like it!

MTWTFSS Sat 07-Nov-15 19:02:27

GloriaHotcakes Same grin

Caprinihahahaha Sat 07-Nov-15 19:04:21

We have smoked salmon bagels and champagne.
But that sounds great. I love different traditions.

Heyheyheygoodbye Sat 07-Nov-15 19:05:54

No but we always have pork pie for Christmas Eve tea. Midlands here too smile

Buttercup27 Sat 07-Nov-15 19:06:44

I'm with gloria has to be chocolate!

dementedma Sat 07-Nov-15 19:10:09

Croissants here.

GinandJag Sat 07-Nov-15 19:11:23

We have toast and coffee smile

SheSparkles Sat 07-Nov-15 19:14:02

Bacon rolls washed down with Buck's Fizz here-there's no hiding class smile

Sanchar Sat 07-Nov-15 19:15:10

we have toasted or fried eggy panetone for our christmas brekky.

Twistedheartache Sat 07-Nov-15 19:23:24

STBXH's family. Originally from Newark.
I think it's strange - scrambled egg, smoked salmon and bucks fizz for me!

emwithme Sat 07-Nov-15 19:26:57

Grew up in Coventry. Never heard of this.

First Christmas Breakfast was chocolate and mince pies while unwrapping presents, then there was second Christmas breakfast which was a fry-up.

Gobletofgin Sat 07-Nov-15 19:27:28

We always have croissants on Christmas Day, just because that's what we had as a child and I don't normally eat them so it's a treat. Washed down with m and s Buck's Fizz type drink.

PhilPhilConnors Sat 07-Nov-15 19:32:10

Croissants here too. And chocolate.
Washed down with hot choc.

ChristmasZombie Sat 07-Nov-15 19:35:01

Bacon rolls for us!

HunterHearstHelmsley Sat 07-Nov-15 19:35:40

No breakfast on Christmas day! Baileys at 10am though.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 07-Nov-15 19:42:45

how do you have room to eat later? I would have to skip lunch and have my Christmas dinner in the evening.

I do lament having a tummy that gets full quickly and stays full at Christmas. So many lovely things, so little room sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now