Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ali Express

(12 Posts)
AllyourGreens Fri 06-Nov-15 16:32:33

Thinking of taking the plunge and ordering from Ali Express for the first time when their sale begins but need the benefit of your experiences please.

Has anyone spent more than £15 on orders from Ali Express (made on the same day or there abouts and not necessarily with the same seller iyswim) and not got (or got) charged added tax and duties on arrival?

I'm wondering if a charge is more likely to be made if you have a few orders arriving at the same or similar time all under £15 each but together totalling more than £15.

Hope that's not clear as mud grin

TIA

AllyourGreens Fri 06-Nov-15 18:59:22

Bump

Anyone?

Kat3L Sat 07-Nov-15 00:27:33

You could try posting on the Christmas bargain thread (it's up to number 9), lots of people on there order from Ali express.

notapizzaeater Sat 07-Nov-15 00:35:18

I placed about 60 orders last year and never once got charged any customs or tax,

AllyourGreens Sat 07-Nov-15 12:23:54

Appreciate your feedback guys, thanks

kiwidreamer Sat 07-Nov-15 12:50:44

I'm pretty sure you are allowed items up to the value of £30 before customs are interested... its rare to spend that kind of money on Aliexpress cheapies lol

I have been levied charges before but that was on care packages from my in laws in NZ FULL of clothes and food stuffs, the parcels were MASSIVE.

AllyourGreens Sat 07-Nov-15 16:22:07

Thanks kiwi, that's good to know smile. Cheapies are all I'm planning too but likely from more than one seller.

caffeineanddryshampoo Sat 07-Nov-15 20:47:12

What sort of things are you buying on there? I buy a lot but there's so much stuff I'm interested to see what other people have found.

I'm waiting for:
www.aliexpress.com/item/Baby-Kids-Cute-Animal-Stuffed-Plush-Pram-Toy-Animal-Handbell-Stroller-Bell-Developmental-Activity-Toys/32459592833.html
www.aliexpress.com/item/36-pcs-lot-cute-cat-doll-paper-sticker-post-it-decoration-decal-diy-album-scrapbooking-sealing/32331331406.html

AllyourGreens Sat 07-Nov-15 23:27:15

Caffine your item looks great in the picture, I take it that the stuff you've ordered has so far matched the quality shown then?
What other things have you ordered in the past?

I haven't actually specifically chosen anything/ or any seller yet but I want to get some brooches, a couple of childrens tops and maybe some paint brushes. Won't be spending a lot as I want to see how I find it. More nervous about entering my credit card details (and them holding those details long term) more than anything else though... I'll take the plunge tomorrow.

caffeineanddryshampoo Sun 08-Nov-15 17:10:42

I've ordered lots of bits and bobs. I like their canvas storage boxes: www.aliexpress.com/item/Cotton-pink-or-blue-storage-box-clothing-debris-boxes-ikea-zakka-organizer-storage-organizador-clothes-storage/32245857015.html

No adult clothes as yet as I'm worried about sizing. I did get a top for my son which fits him perfectly. They have a good refund policy (admittedly I haven't tested it yet!)

notapizzaeater Sun 08-Nov-15 18:08:12

Adult sizing is really really tiny I'm an 18/20 and order a 6xl off their

hefzi Sun 08-Nov-15 22:05:53

I personally wouldn't buy toys for children of an age to put them in their mouths: China has very different safety regulations to ours, particularly over things like dyes, and I would be too concerned about the consequences. (Just for the record - not precious on hygiene and don't own a hand sanitiser...)

I've heard great things from friends who use it a lot, though clothes in plus sizes are a problem as a PP has said: much cheaper than eBay if you don't mind waiting the extra time. Do you still have to pay to return things that aren't correct, though? If so, that's something to bear in mind.

The £15 charge takes into account the cost of postage as well, when it comes to calculating duty, and some carriers whack an admin charge on top: I was recently caught by £17 on top for a £9 T shirt... I think it's hit and miss, but a number of smaller parcels are less likely to attract attention than one large on ime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now