Talk

Advanced search

Please help a My Little Pony novice!

(16 Posts)
Tory79 Thu 05-Nov-15 14:43:11

My ds4 has recently got sooooo into this. I want to get him some kind of play set for Christmas. He has the pony figures, and his favourite is twilight.

What is good?! It all looks the same to me!

SweetAdeline Thu 05-Nov-15 14:48:05

All the playsets get really bad reviews and look the definition of "plastic tat". Dd loves them too but I can't bring myself to spend so much money on them so we're just sticking with the figures.
If I were to get one I think The Rarity boutique looks best quality/value.

ButtonLoon Thu 05-Nov-15 14:50:37

My niece got Twilight's castle playset and it was awful, fell apart if you looked at it funny.

The figurines fit well into our Playmobil castle though!

LauraChant Thu 05-Nov-15 14:50:51

I know this doesn't help or answer your question, but only today I sent the My Little Pony Dream Castle and Show Stable from the 1980s to the tip. 30-odd years of joy they brought and lasted pretty well considering. I still remember how excited I was unwrapping that Show Stable. I hope you DS has fun with whatever you get!

Tory79 Thu 05-Nov-15 15:08:21

Yes they look like plastic tat to me too! Although I'm sure that's half of what Christmas is really about grin

Just wondering if there were some bits that were better than others!

Nearlyadoctor Thu 05-Nov-15 15:15:07

Just bought Playdoh make and style My little Pony set for my niece - looks good.

My DD only really played with the ponies often on her Playmobil pony farm. Play sets for us were a waste of money.

ThisFenceIsComfy Thu 05-Nov-15 15:17:37

I think stick to the blind bag My Little Ponies figures. My DS loves them the most. They are £1.99 each. They sell them at Argos.

booksandchoc Thu 05-Nov-15 15:22:08

The princess twilight castle does fall apart but I superglued it all together and that seems to work. DD tends to just play with her all the ponies tho, the small ones are normally around £4.99 but you can get them buy one get one half price from toys r us. DD (4) really wants the equestria girls dolls from Santa.

kiwidreamer Thu 05-Nov-15 16:15:45

I also wouldn't waste money on the playsets, just stick with the ponies.

Nearlyadoctor Thu 05-Nov-15 16:25:19

booksandchoc ( love the name) Amazon have really good deals on the equestria girls - bought recently for my DD and put away for Christmas. Both Trixie Lulumoon and Twilight Sparkle apropos £22-£24 in Toys r us!

www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Equestria-Rainbow-Twilight-Sparkle/dp/B00HX8NR5W/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1446740503&sr=8-18&keywords=Equestrian+girls

www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Equestria-Girls-Trixie-Lulamoon/dp/B00F11F7V0/ref=pd_bxgy_21_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0KYH62QARVM5RQHNRR5J

BuildersBum Thu 05-Nov-15 18:07:41

Start off with the plastic figures with brushable mane & tail, about the fiver mark.

There is a smaller, older playset still available that is a tad stronger than the bigger ones.

www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/fashion-dolls/c-505/my-little-pony/p-10826/my-little-pony-crystal-empire-playset/

RJnomaaaaaargh Thu 05-Nov-15 20:19:19

Make way for the expert!

We have all the castles and playsets. Yes I mean all. The twilight castle is the worst it falls apart constantly. There is a pop ponies twilight castle which is tucked away for Christmas and should be sturdier.

Failing that anything except the normal twilight castle. Anything. Trust me on this one.

RJnomaaaaaargh Thu 05-Nov-15 20:20:29

I wish I had kept my original grooming parlour from the 80s though sad

WheelParrot Thu 05-Nov-15 20:23:54

The only thing we had that DD played with regularly was the train set one with the figure 8 track, and pinkie pie's train. We had the castle (pap) and a billion ponies.

attheendoftheday Thu 05-Nov-15 21:54:22

We've got a lot of use out of a set of My Little Ponies from Aliexpress. Doubtless not branded, but it's under a fiver for a full set of characters.

NatashaRomanov Fri 06-Nov-15 13:25:53

The wedding castle player is pretty sturdy, but yes, the Princess Twilight crystal palace one is a massive nightmare.
My problem is that all the players seem to come with ponies and you end up with duplicates. We have 4 Pinkie Pies! And 4 Twilights. Pretty sure a cull is needed.

But, LauraChant, you tipped a G1 playset? Please etell me it was completely falling apart and not in any way salvageable?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now