What to buy for a retired man who just doesn't do anything?

(25 Posts)
JenniferYellowHat1980 Wed 04-Nov-15 21:41:54

My FIL sits and watches TV all day every day. He's not shy about criticising gifts and there's nothing I can think of that would enthuse him. I considered a Netflix gift card, then remembered he doesn't have a smart TV.

He's not in the best of health and won't exercise. Sugary / fatty food is a no-no for health reasons.

Any ideas gratefully appreciated. Ideally it would be something he could do while sitting.

Fizrim Wed 04-Nov-15 21:44:59

Does he use an iPad? I know someone similar who loves their iPad, perhaps some apps or something like that?

JenniferYellowHat1980 Wed 04-Nov-15 21:52:51

He doesn't have one.

VegasIsBest Wed 04-Nov-15 21:58:23

Books? Magazine subscription?
Day out somewhere or national trust subscription?

maitaimojito Wed 04-Nov-15 22:02:43

DP's Granddad has been pleased with jigsaws or model making sets. Would he like anything like that?

SisterNancySinatra Wed 04-Nov-15 22:05:04

Slippers, mug and hot chocolate set, nice tea and mug, nice coffee, lap tray for TV dinners ( some real fun ones in shops now), a throw for sofa, cushions for sofa , erm. Socks .

EMS23 Wed 04-Nov-15 22:08:37

Exactly the same as my dad who is also half deaf so has the tv up stupid loud. NCIS all the live long day - it's infuriating.
Headphones were popular.
A comfy footstool.
A nice blanket or cushion.
A box set of his fav show.
Coffee machine
A side table for his remote controls.

Or..
Fuck all - I'm always tempted with my dad but have yet to test my theory that he would moan slightly less about getting no present than any other present.

AnyoneButAndre Wed 04-Nov-15 22:10:08

Tie in books for favourite shows. There's normally something available for most shows.

MrsJayy Wed 04-Nov-15 22:13:24

Film boxset i think ive bought my dad every john wayne and clinteastwood film there is sighthis year he is getting Elvis cd with a symphony orchastra And cans of guiness

FinallyHere Wed 04-Nov-15 22:15:27

My father used always to claim that the only thing he ever wanted was peace and quiet.

Imagine my delight when i found a cd of whale type music called, yes, peace and quiet.

MrsJayy Wed 04-Nov-15 22:15:40

What about a book my dad likes books about gangsters and druglords a cheery lighthearted read grin

MrsJayy Wed 04-Nov-15 22:17:04

Thats brilliant here you go dad peace and quiet grin

Fizrim Wed 04-Nov-15 22:42:29

Ha, I may track down the peace and quiet CD!

MummyPig24 Thu 05-Nov-15 07:27:57

I'm struggling with my dad. No job, rarely leaves his flat, no hobbies, rarely reads. Cannot gift wine as he is an alcoholic, won't bother with food as he doesn't eat. Might go for a dvd box set as suggested above.

MumOfTheMoment Thu 05-Nov-15 13:30:23

M&S voucher and a planted pot/trough for the garden.

momb Thu 05-Nov-15 13:32:37

I have bought my father cheese for the last 5 years. Unimaginative, high in fat and salt. He likes it though, and there's nothing else he wants or needs.

Finnellajoe Thu 05-Nov-15 13:51:43

Depending on his TV, what about an Amazon fire stick with a Netflix subscription?

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Thu 05-Nov-15 14:39:25

My granda loved a jigsaw made of a family photo

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Thu 05-Nov-15 14:40:06

You could add a jigsaw mat

Chottie Thu 05-Nov-15 19:11:02

How about something to get him started on researching the family tree?

JenniferYellowHat1980 Thu 05-Nov-15 19:34:44

The family tree idea was done a few years ago. He did nothing with it and ended up with a bug subscription fee for some reason. Can't remember the circs now. Will look into the Amazon Fire stick - is that just for smart tv though? Otherwise, yes, it will just have to be the usual DVDs, books, loungewear etc.

Funny, a lot if these describe him to a tee. Headphones, footstool, slippers, side table for remote controls - what an easy life!

Makemineacabsauv Thu 05-Nov-15 20:50:20

What about a spuddy? A couch potato with wee pouches fir a remote control, drinks, snacks etc
www.amazon.co.uk/Spuddy-Couch-Potato-Colours-Vary/dp/B008B6NXTK

JenniferYellowHat1980 Sun 08-Nov-15 20:11:07

Ha, I like the spuddy. But I have a silly idea. I might buy him a magic set. Get him to learn some tricks to do with the kids. Might get him some practical jokes too.

Tantrictantrum Sun 08-Nov-15 20:42:54

A heated blanket. They plug in to the electric and are snuggly

WyrdByrd Sun 08-Nov-15 20:50:26

What about one of those mugs with a section underneath to put biscuits?

Electric foot warmer?

Would he do puzzles? My dad likes a wordsearch.

Does he have a CD player? Audio books might make a change from the TV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now