Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Christmas present for a New Granny (my Mum)

(22 Posts)
Hormonal1 Wed 04-Nov-15 16:44:51

Hi all, hoping you can give me some inspiration for a Christmas present for my Mum.

My first DC is due at the end of November so I'm trying to get Christmas presents bought now or at least know what I'm going to get so I don't have to stress too much.

My Mum is in her 50s, doesn't really have any hobbies as such, just likes spending time with family and friends. Not a jewellery person or in to clothes. Currently on a diet so that rules out something like a hamper.

Was thinking it might be nice to get her something related to being a new Granny (it will be her first Grandchild) but can't think what.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

trilbydoll Wed 04-Nov-15 16:47:21

I was going to suggest a photo related gift, like a mug with her & baby, but you'd have to be fairly quick about ordering it which might not be possible with a newborn!

Photo frame?

QuintShhhhhh Wed 04-Nov-15 16:47:23

Not sure why you think she would want that?

Just get her a nice picture of your baby in a nice frame, from baby.

Otherwise you could just go to Vistaprint, make her a t shirt with an L plate saying "new gran" on it.

lol

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Wed 04-Nov-15 19:39:58

I've just bought my MIL who is so hard to buy for a willow tree grandma ornament. It's quite nice considering it's not my thing. Then we'll do a mug or plate with DS's handprint on it

ppandj Wed 04-Nov-15 19:48:40

I second the idea of a photo. If you find a frame now and download the freeprints app (which is amazing) you will be able to get the photo delivered to your house and won't need to try and get to one of those printing places.

Have you looked at notonthehighstreet.com? You can get some nice stuff on there (imo).

myotherusernameisbetter Wed 04-Nov-15 19:52:45

2nd willow tree - actually quite nice:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111045548015?adgroupid=13585920426&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=kwd-121152230466&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

or maybe a nice piece of jewelry such as a locket (bit of babies hair inside?), i know you said she isn't a jewelry person, but that would be a special piece. Or something with the babies birthstone but i guess you can't buy that in advance in case baby is let and it drifts into December smile

myotherusernameisbetter Wed 04-Nov-15 19:53:11

Late, not let!

VocationalGoat Wed 04-Nov-15 19:53:11

Willow Tree 'Grandmother' figurine is a beautiful, sentimental, and affordable gift. Have a look on Amazon.

VocationalGoat Wed 04-Nov-15 19:54:28

Oops, Willow Tree was already mentioned. They tend to be cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else, just to let you know.

myotherusernameisbetter Wed 04-Nov-15 19:54:35

didn't realise that was a US link for the willow tree, was just linking to show you the picture- shop around as price varies considerably...

MooseyMoo Wed 04-Nov-15 19:56:17

Do you have a pottery place near you? You could get a handprint on a bauble with Merry Christmas Granny.

LadyPenelope68 Wed 04-Nov-15 19:58:15

Willow Tree ornaments are beautiful. I bought my Mum (who isn't normally an ornament type person) one for the first Christmas after my first son was born. She was totally chuffed and over the moon with it.

LikeSilver Wed 04-Nov-15 20:01:36

I got my Mum a lovely 'tree of life' cushion from Hobson's Choice Crafts on FB. She has 12 GDC so I had their names sewn on it; I'm sure it would be just as special with one.

Notimefortossers Wed 04-Nov-15 20:05:52

www.amazon.co.uk/Babys-Handprint-Footprint-Plaster-Moulding/dp/B0035HBKYA

florentina1 Wed 04-Nov-15 20:36:47

If she likes her garden then maybe a rose,a plant that flowers around the time of the baby's birth or a plant with a name close to the baby. I believe there is a rose called Grandma.

If she likes tea, then a selection of teas from tea pig, or yourkishie teas.
A special bone china cup and saucer. A tea plate, with the birthdate.

A grandparent book, where grandparents put in photos and write their personal history.

A cashmere blanket or wrap.

Hormonal1 Wed 04-Nov-15 21:26:00

Thanks all, some fab suggestions! I knew I could rely in you :-)

Buttercup27 Wed 04-Nov-15 21:30:03

I've got the perfect gift. Next time you are at a midwife appointment asked her to her tbe baby's heart beat. Record it on your phone and then upload it and have it turned into a sound waves picture with a personal message underneath, maybe merry Christmas Granny.
When the baby is born, if there is time you can record it crying and have both the heartbeat in 1 colour and cry in a different colour painted.(I think it's not on the highstreet)

Notimefortossers Thu 05-Nov-15 13:44:04

What's a sound waves picture?

Buttercup27 Thu 05-Nov-15 18:58:10

One of these. The one I had made for dh had the babies heart beat in red and my DS giggling in orange with a personal message underneath.

Buttercup27 Thu 05-Nov-15 18:59:01

It's from notonthehighstreet.com

Hormonal1 Thu 05-Nov-15 19:12:25

Thanks buttercup57 - I love this idea!

Buttercup27 Thu 05-Nov-15 19:40:50

They look even better in rl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now