Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

dslr camera?

(16 Posts)
ItsaTenfromDen Sun 01-Nov-15 13:50:50

OH has expressed an interest in maybe having a camera for christmas. I have no idea about these neither has he so can anyone recommed one for a complete beginner?

Thanks

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 01-Nov-15 18:17:51

What's your budget?

I recently bought dd a Nikon d3200 which is a classic beginners dslr.

However is it definitely a dslr he wants? Mirrorless/compact system cameras are taking over from dslrs. They're much smaller and lighter, but you can change the lenses and the photo quality is fantastic. Comparable with a dslr for sure. Lots of semi pro photographers I know are ditching their dslr.

Ive got a sony a6000 and it's amazing. You can get cheaper ones which are still good. Dd often pinches my camera rather than lug her Nikon about.

GloGirl Sun 01-Nov-15 19:20:28

I have the same camera as Simon, it's a great beginners DSLR.

The Lumix is a great compact.

ItsaTenfromDen Tue 03-Nov-15 15:26:05

thank you both, I shall have a google and read up

JeffreysMummyIsCross Tue 03-Nov-15 15:34:54

I have the Nikon D5200 which is also very suitable for beginners. It's a little larger than the 3000 range cameras, and it would be worth actually getting you DH to try them out as some people have a preference for one size over another depending (my DH actually finds my camera too small to grip comfortably and has the D7200 which is larger still.)

AnotherEmma Tue 03-Nov-15 15:41:20

I'm a beginner and got a Canon 100D which I love. It's a DSLR but very small and light. Takes fab pictures.

Before getting the camera I went on a one-day introduction to digital photography course, which was brilliant. I learnt so much and it meant I was able to buy and use my camera with confidence. So could you organise something similar for your DH?

Wombat87 Tue 03-Nov-15 15:44:36

I've got a Canon 1100D. I think. Takes lovely pictures when OH uses it. Something I nagged for forever, alas never read the manual so can't use it to full potential. It works well for me when I try though!

ItsaTenfromDen Tue 03-Nov-15 15:56:29

Thanks everyone

Emma I just googled and there are photography courses available locally, thanks for the idea

AnotherEmma Tue 03-Nov-15 15:58:35

You're welcome! smile

Didiusfalco Tue 03-Nov-15 16:48:56

I have the 1200d, which is canons entry level dslr. I really like it, and its very easy to start using straight away. It is bulky as all of them are compared to a compact. I also have a lumix, and would not want the dslr to be my only camera. what is your budget?

ItsaTenfromDen Tue 03-Nov-15 17:54:33

mmmm well I've not looked yet, just asked DH and in his head about £500, but he hasn't looked either so no idea how he's come up with that figuresmile

AnotherEmma Tue 03-Nov-15 23:13:41

OP, one thing to bear in mind is lenses. If he is serious about photography he will want a camera with interchangeable lenses. All DSLRs have them, and the more sophisticated compact system cameras do. It's worth considering the availability and cost of lenses. With a Canon or Nikon DSLR you'd get a lot of choice, whereas the compact system cameras are newer technology so I suspect there is less choice of lenses and they might be expensive (just a guess). What I did to begin with was get the camera with the standard kit lens (18-55mm zoom lens) so I could use it for a while to see how I got on before deciding whether I wanted any other lenses and if so which ones. Obviously photography can be a very expensive hobby. I'm of the opinion that it's a bit silly to spend hundreds and thousands on expensive kit when you don't know how to use and/or don't use it very often - but that's just me!

FWIW my Canon 100D cost about £340 (with standard kit lens) from John Lewis. And it's the exception to the rule that Didiusfalco mentioned (that DSLRs are bulky compared to compacts) as I t's actually lighter than the compact I compared it to, and only slightly bigger.

I have bought another lens (a 40mm pancake lens to be precise) and would like another for Christmas - just need to decide which one and put it on my list!

Didiusfalco Wed 04-Nov-15 07:45:39

Oh you could get something better than a basic DSLR with that. Canon have a new 750d which is also entry but has extra features such as a moveable screen and Wi-Fi. Think you could get one for about £550, although I reckon there will be some good deals around for Christmas.

Didiusfalco Wed 04-Nov-15 08:08:59

I was very tempted by the 100d that Emma mentions. It has a touch screen, which the 1200d doesn't. Your DH might not be so bothered about the size though?
How are you finding your 40mm Emma?

AnotherEmma Wed 04-Nov-15 09:45:39

Didius I've taken some stunning portraits with it smile I love the photo quality you get from prime lenses. They're obviously not as versatile as zoom lenses, and I would like a better quality zoom lens. I also went travelling recently and had several moments when I wished I had a wide-angle lens too. But the 40mm pancake was a good one to start with. It's very small too which is handy.

SuperNanny1989 Wed 04-Nov-15 09:57:25

I'm a complete beginner and recently bought myself the Nikon D3200 too. Affordable and so simple to use, would definitely recommend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now