Talk

Advanced search

Argh, PS4

(18 Posts)
Methenyouplus4 Sun 01-Nov-15 08:21:21

Our lovely dc (11) has never asked for a big present (his lists are always very modest), but this year he is desperate for a PS4. He knows money is very tight so we told him defo 'no' but as our younger ones are still tiny, they will be getting mainly hand-me downs from big Bro (farm etc) and bits and pieces from local selling pages etc.

This is all so we can scrape funds for PS4 but where is the cheapest place to get one? Don't have points for Tesco etc as shop at Aldi. Hubby reckons they are £270ish without games which is just eye-watering!

timeforabrewnow Sun 01-Nov-15 08:26:33

What's wrong with a PS3?

It's great - and will be a lot cheaper than £270. Plus you could get a few games for it as well.

Oldtomato Sun 01-Nov-15 08:27:26

Try a game shop for a preowned or refurbished console. Will be quite a bit cheaper.
Hold your nerve for black Friday they will probably have some deals on then.

Methenyouplus4 Sun 01-Nov-15 08:32:08

I'm sure a ps3 is fine (no idea what difference is, computers not at all my thing) ,but as it's only thing he's every properly asked for, I really want to get him that exact thing rather than seeing it and then realising it's not quite what he asked for.

When is Black Friday and do you normally get a guarantee from pre-owned show (or foes it just depend on shop)?

Thanks for responses.

wlv12 Sun 01-Nov-15 09:07:51

Black Friday is 28th November - we are in a similar situation and holding out for deals around that time!

stardusty5 Sun 01-Nov-15 09:19:21

You're right to try and get the ps4 if you can. The ps3 was released almost ten years ago now, and so before long they'll stop making games for it.

Black friday is a good shout, and keep an eye on Amazon and the supermarkets.

Tealtowel Sun 01-Nov-15 18:33:30

Im getting ps4 too but waiting for black friday.

Currently you can get ps4 plus fifa for £289 from tesco

Methenyouplus4 Sun 01-Nov-15 18:49:59

Thank you all. On Black Friday where would I look for offers? Amazon? I'll be at work so will only be able to buy things online.

In other good news, since mentioning this to my parents today they have said they will contribute half - brilliant news smile

floooOoooatyfloooOooo Sun 01-Nov-15 18:54:18

Also try a pawn shop I have seen them sold in there before

DragonmotherKhaleesi Mon 02-Nov-15 08:21:07

I got a ps4 with Fifa for £270 from very. Using the code that's floating around for £30 off for new customers.

Littlemousewithcloggson Mon 02-Nov-15 09:31:01

SIL bought her son a ps4 last year on Black Friday. However, she was so intent on getting the console at a good price she forgot about games until the very last minute!
If you know you are definitely getting one then it's worth looking on eBay for games now as there are some good prices and people are probably having a clear out for some Christmas money

Merrow Mon 02-Nov-15 11:52:18

Do you know what games he wants?

wickedlazy Mon 02-Nov-15 12:04:21

I got ds's ps4 in tesco, £289 for game bundle. Dp wanted to wait until black friday, but I didn't have the nerve. So afraid they would sell out really quickly, and I would end up paying more for one at the last minute than £289 (and game worth £40, so looking at it as I paid full price for game, only £249 for ps4).

Agree with pp about ps3. The games are slowly but surely becoming absolite. Better value for money in the long term with ps4. You could try to get a second hand one, then that frees up some money for games.
If you can get a bundle with games that suit, it can work out cheaper.

Do shop around for games, when I first started looking, couldn't believe some of the price differences for the same game but different stores.

Tealtowel Tue 03-Nov-15 08:13:18

methen on black Friday id probably check Amazon, Argos, tesco and Game.

I will be getting up crazy early and will try and remember to post on here for you if i can

bloodyteenagers Tue 03-Nov-15 08:29:59

Have a look on eBay daily deals. £249 with 2 games.. Trade the games for something more suitable which you should easily be able to do.

chanie44 Tue 03-Nov-15 08:40:00

Black Friday's falls around OHs birthday and he was planning on getting one for his birthday, last year. We managed to get one, but it was a bit of a faff:

Asda - this was his first choice of store as there was a particular game he wanted. Black Friday was due to start at something like 9am, but our store gave away all of the ps4s at midnight. There was a rumour that more ps4s were due in the next day, but we got mixed messages from the staff.

Amazon - OHs friend ordered one from amazon and got a really good deal. They do a lot of flash sales on Black Friday eg the ps4 offers may be on offer for an hour during the day, so you need to keep an eye out.

Argos - having missed the above offers, OH bought one from Argos and whilst the offer wasn't as good as Amazon, there was only a difference of about £20, so not huge. We did have a check a couple of stores though.

If I recall, after good Friday, there were still a couple of good deals around in the run up to Xmas. I'm sure you will be able to get one at a good price, if you can't do Black Friday.

trixymalixy Tue 03-Nov-15 08:45:58

Best place to look on Black Friday is John Lewis as they price match some of the offers and last year the Internet traffic to the site was less than on other sites, so you could actually get on. People may have become wise to that this year though.

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 03-Nov-15 11:18:36

ShopTo have usually got some decent bundle deals. Unless there is a particular game he is looking for, go for the bundle with the best trade in on the games that you don't need. I've often got a decent deal on a console with say the latest FIFA game which DS isn't interested in and immediately taken the game into CEX and got money for it - this brings down the "actual" price of the console and frees up cash for games he did want.

Check the trade in value of some of the games commonly including in the bundles so you are prepared for when you rush to buy. You might find a lot of the bundles have 18 cert games which you probably don't want - don't let that put you off as trade in value may be good. If it looks as if the console is "branded" on the box as that particular game, ime it is usually just a cardboard skin that pulls of with the generic box underneath.

Also Sainsburys tend to do some good console deals about now but think they are only in-store now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now